A reminder to be cautious with scammers

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by stlgecko, Jan 30, 2019.

1. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    I have a couple of ‘want to buy’ ads out there and today a new member (joined today) messaged me. He emailed me pics, which I instantly recognized from our very own Tyler at @Cajun Concealed

The person gave me a phone number of 724-893-8154. Google it and this same person has tried many scams. Username he/she/assface used is OpusX.

Reminder to be careful!

Chris O, WC145, Mike0251 and 25 others like this.
  2. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    a total disgrace to a great cigar!

3. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right... Supporting Addict

Sep 11, 2012
  4. Bcrawford

Bcrawford Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I also received a message from the same user about my WTB ad.

stlgecko likes this.
  5. Robert F. Ciancio Jr.

Robert F. Ciancio Jr. Si vis pacem, para bellum

Jun 25, 2014
    I wouldn't buy from anybody or sell to anybody unless I've seen them here for a bit. I might be cynical, but I gotta know ya to trust ya.

6. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Much appreciated there. Thanks

7. Gerald D

Gerald D Active Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Spending much of my time on a couple of other forums I can say it's not an uncommon thing unfortunately. :(

8. law91

law91 New Member

Jan 29, 2019
    I’m new to this forum as a member. I’ve enjoyed reading the posts so I signed up.
    I spend a good part of the day dealing with scams. They are getting good. Some are getting really good.
    One simple rule is what my grandma would say.. if it’s too good to be real, it ain’t real.

Joseph Krezdorn III likes this.
  9. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I'm not knocking any new members but there has been a pretty big influx of new folks. No offense but I'm not dealing with anyone who hasn't been here for a while and contributed in a meaningful way. Obviously look at their trade ratings. I haven't been burned yet and have bought some pretty high ticket items (for me at least). All my dealings have been good but keep your heads on a swivel folks.

10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I buy very few guns anymore ....but I enjoy looking thru the ads on here, gunbroker, etc ...and its sad that these scammers have infiltrated things .... /... the internet is an amazing tool -- but scam artists have been around forever, even way before internet and its good to have a little "spidey sense" when looking at things...

11. Jim Lyles

Jim Lyles Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    I’ve been on the forum for 7 months so would call myself new. I got scammed over the last few days. So I will concer that we all need to stay vidgilant. Prior to this scam I had two good deals and now got the shaft and hope it does not happen to other so be careful.

12. bobo3020

bobo3020 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    What happened?

Babboonbobo likes this.
  13. Jim Lyles

Aug 25, 2018
    I posted on “want to buy classified” and was contacted and then things fell apart after that. Sent money but no pistol sent to me. *ss *ole is now band from the forum. And I am taking civil action. Nothing will most likely come from it but going to try anyways.

william adams and WHEELS like this.
  14. bobo3020

Jul 31, 2014
    Wow sorry to hear. Was it a new member?

WC145 and Babboonbobo like this.
  15. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I was scammed once on armslist! Never again for that place. Also had a few transactions on gunbroker with reputable dealers (one who has become a favorite)

I’ve spent thousands per purchase on here and had many individual dealings on this forum without any issues.

WC145 and bobo3020 like this.
  16. bobo3020

Jul 31, 2014
    I agree. Everyone I’ve dealt with here have been outstanding. That’s why I was curious if the person was new.

17. Jim Lyles

Aug 25, 2018
    Yes

18. Jim Lyles

Aug 25, 2018
    He is gone now. I’ve had several other transactions on here and they were fine. I will lol just need to be more cautious.

19. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Surprisingly, I listed some interest in a Thunder Ranch for purchase and got a plethora of responses. Maybe only one of them was from someone who has been on here as long or longer than me. And only one picture of the gun. So, I am sort of reluctant. And overall, not a good time for me to buying guns, so I will wait.

20. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    You can do a few things to make this stop.

1. Ask for his user name and trading profile page for whatever forum he is active in. (Most forearms guys are active on several).

2. Ask for detailed pictures (Cross chexknwoth google photos and active listings on GB).

3. Ask for another picture of the item you are buying with the members username, and a hand written note with date and user name next to the item.

4. If you are really concerned, talk to the person on the phone (most scammer do not know anything about firearms, dead give away).

5. Research the phone number/area code vs where he says he’s from, and the guys actual name (fb, google, etc).

You do those 5 things and it will almost be very hard to scam someone.

If the seller does not want to do those thing/agree to do them, walk away.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted