A 'smith near Northern KY?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Fort Tom, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Fort Tom

Fort Tom Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Can anyone help me find a qualified 'smith in Northern KY?

Thanks,

FT

2. BradE

BradE Active Member

Jun 19, 2018
    I live near Cincinnati, unfortunately there aren’t many competent Smiths in this area. What are you looking to have done?

3. Fort Tom

Fort Tom Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Just need to have some sights installed on my Springfield RO. One of the LGS's install them for free if you order them their, but the guy is absolutely no gunsmith, and has a rep for butchering them up.

FT

4. BradE

BradE Active Member

Jun 19, 2018
    You could try Legacy Gunsmithing in Finneytown. I haven't used them, but a few clay shooters I know were happy with their shotgun work. It wasn't anything super involved, but might be worth a shot if you just need sights installed.

I would stay away from the Smith in Newport KY, have heard nightmare stories about that place

5. Fort Tom

Fort Tom Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Yes, I've heard that more times than I can count. Not sure how the guy's still in business. His reputation is legendary.

FT

6. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    I'd just mail the slide (only) to Novak. Great communication, and pretty quick turn around (approx 7-10 days). Best of luck!

Slapshot, dash, Rana and 2 others like this.
  7. liljoe

liljoe Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2017
    ya, totally agree with 41 Charlie. novak is great. I still think you should find a good smith for future work though, never a bad idea. GOOD LUCK!

41 Charlie likes this.
  8. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
    straitR and liljoe like this.
  9. Rana

Rana Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    This.

41 Charlie likes this.
  10. Fort Tom

Fort Tom Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Thanks, folks, I think I'm just going to do that! Simple fix.
    FT:)

11. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    Dave with Defensive Creations is in Ohio. I'd recommend him. A no nonsense humble guy that could easily take care of the task you desire.

12. TheDoaner

TheDoaner Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2015
    I don't know where you're at in Kentucky, but Bob Fried in Corydon, IN is capable of replacing sights on a Springer.

13. Billhook

Billhook New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Also near the area, so I'm interested too. I have usually found that sending stuff off is the best policy, since you have your pick of the whole country, not just some guy who hung out a shingle in the area who might be able to do the trigger on a 1911, but will ruin your treasured S&W revolver in nothing flat. If your local smith happens to be the guy everyone else sends work to, so much the better.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  14. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011

Attached Files:

15. The War Wagon

The War Wagon Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2018
    I know a private FFL in Greenup, KY that does good work (he taught me how to reload!), but that may be a bit too far east of "north" for ya'.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted