A special gift

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by deadguy, Dec 31, 2018.

1. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Several years ago, I purchased a 1943 Colt WWII era 1911 from a co-worker's son. I always had a soft spot for the older models, and felt it was kind of neat to have one in the safe. Nostalgia and all that jazz. It was worn, pitted, and obviously shot quite a bit, and that was OK. It was still a piece of history. I was able to shoot it a few times over the years, but it mostly took up space in the safe.

My brother in law had expressed interest in seeing the '43, so I took it home to my parents' home for the holidays. My dad was the first to see it since the BIL wasn't coming over until later that evening. As my dad and I sat in his living room, and he fondled the pistol, he made a comment about always wanting a 45. Now, over my years of owning this gun, I had entertained the idea of giving it to him. After he said this, I took about 10 seconds to think it over, and told him he could have it. He then said he would trade a Henry 44 magnum lever action (basically new, and he had gotten it from his deceased brother's children). I told him there was no need to for a trade. He could have it. Many of you have seen that look on a person's face, but this one was special to me. He sat there looking it over for several more minutes before handing it back to me.

The next day, my dad, my sister, my BIL, and I went out to shoot. We shot several different guns, including the old Colt. I think he enjoyed it, gritter trigger, random ejection pattern and all.

Two days later, we went out to his shop to clean all the guns we had fired that day. He asked for assistance in stripping down the Colt, and I was more than happy to show him while giving him basic information on how the different parts functioned and worked together. This was a role reversal of sorts for me, because this man has taught me so much through the years about many aspects of life, as well as practical skills in basic auto mechanics, construction, etc. Being able to finally teach him something was special to me, and he was like a kid soaking up the knowledge. Later in the day I asked if he was comfortable stripping the Colt, and he remarked that he was actually just thinking about it. Obviously, the experience stuck with him.

The Colt was no doubt special for him, but the greatest gift of the week came in the form of the time I was able to spend with him. In my 45+ years, we haven't had many bonding moments like we did those few days. It was indeed a special gift.

His new Colt
    20140330_170237-1.jpg

FWoo45, 45caldude, gaijin and 46 others like this.
  2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I am humbled by your story. You are a good and honorable son.

Lou1, Capthobo, xerts1191 and 5 others like this.

3. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    That’s a great story DG. The memories that go along with an object are often times more important then the object. Now that old Colt has even more importance to you.

Lou1, xerts1191, WC145 and 2 others like this.
  4. bobo3020

bobo3020 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Awesome gift and the time with dad bonding is priceless! Thanks for sharing!

Lou1, xerts1191 and deadguy like this.
  5. khend1

khend1 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks for sharing that. You’re a good man, DG.

6. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Your thread on patterns in life made me think of one in this story. In my 45 years and receiving priceless gifts from my dad, I was able to give him a 45 in return.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    I did get to fondle the 44mag lever action. Brass receiver and octagonal barrel, still wearing the price tag. Even if he had insisted on the trade, I don't think I could have accepted it. Just before my uncle's death, he wanted to shoot it. The two of them went out and shot one tube of rounds through it. I'm certain that rifle carries much sentimental value for my dad.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  8. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    great idea and a wonderful [email protected] kudos to you for not taking his henry too

9. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Truly a lesson in life , it’s a blessing to give something back to the ones we love and respect and seeing the joy in their faces.
    May This simple act of selflessness serve as a lesson to us all to appreciate our loved ones while we still have them .

Lou1, wrmiller, xerts1191 and 2 others like this.
  10. Gafanhao

Gafanhao Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2018
    Great story, going shooting with Dad tomorrow now.

11. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
  12. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    Great story about great folks. You are indeed lucky to have such a father, and he is lucky to have you for a son.

Lou1, deadguy and xerts1191 like this.
  13. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    I have something in my eye, excuse me.

Txgordo, Lou1, wrmiller and 4 others like this.
  14. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018

When its right it's right! Very cool!

Lou1 and deadguy like this.
  15. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    They are there, etched into the fabric of our daily lives. We just need to un-busy ourselves to find them.

The more we find, the richer we become. Those threads, those patterns, transcend our current dimension and are deposits into the bank account of the next.

When we become rich in these, we carry no baggage (regrets) to our appointment with you . . . .

Z

xerts1191, Lou1 and deadguy like this.
  16. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    What a great story.... Thank you for sharing as we can all relate to what you were experiencing...

Lou1, deadguy and Gafanhao like this.
  17. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    Dammit, you made my eyes leak. My father died this past October and reading your story hit me hard. Cherish all those moments.

18. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Really sorry to hear this, Lou. One day my father will pass away as well, and I will be able to look back on this experience with fond memories and a huge smile.

xerts1191, ZoidMeister and Lou1 like this.
  19. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Enjoy it as I have many memories of hunting and fishing with my dad. He died at 52, 31 years ago and I still miss him terribly.

Wonderful memory you have to keep and bring up from time to time. Will smile when you think about it.

20. MHarvey

MHarvey Active Member

Sep 2, 2011
    That is a great story. I’m fortunate enough to live next door to my dad, but he’s had some health issues lately and hasn’t felt like getting out and shooting. Those are moments you’ll cherish forever, no doubt.

xerts1191, deadguy and Lou1 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted