A Special SPR:)

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by cundiff5535, May 18, 2017.

1. cundiff5535

cundiff5535 Chambers Custom Owners Club

Apr 1, 2013
    Decided to reconfigure an 18" AR I have had fora while now. When I originally put this together, I wanted to "build" an AR with top quality parts by companies I thought made solid parts!

Once I got the rifle together, I really regretted not doing a full MK12 mod 0. Since I had a lot of top quality parts, I figured... you know what I will just take the original rifle apart, use what would work, and buy the MK12 stuff.

Well, MK12 stuff has gotten a bit insane. Literally people are paying an unthinkable amount of money to build clones that are 1. not true to the MK12 Mod0 parts list, and 2. A lot of the parts on the MK12 are a bit dated and and to over priced vs what other parts are out there cost. Thats not to say I wouldn't love having one, I just do not think it makes much sense to invest the kind of money it would have taken.

So... I sold off the MK12 parts I was putting together and went with parts made by either guys I know or guys who I hold in the highest regards in terms of quality.

Below is a spec sheet of parts and pics... amazing rifle that not only shoots lights out, shoots fast and can sling rounds from 100-600 yards really quickly!

When I decided to build/assemble the upper I knew exactly what I would be using! IMO the base/heart of a rifle, and really the starting point should be a top of the line (quality wise) Bolt. I decided that there were only two choices for me... either Bravo, or Seekins.

Because one of my criterial was that I wanted to use guys I knew, I decided to go with Glen from Seekins Precision. I have dealt with him on a few things in the last and anyone who knows him holds his work in the highest regard. I picked up a Seekins bolt and carrier and started thinking about an equally important part... the barrel. I do not think you can find a better barrel than Krieger, so I called up my bud Frank White over at Compass Lake Engineering. I asked him for a true SPR barrel and to cut my barrel extension exactly to the Bolt I got from Seekins. I sent out the Bolt and we were in business.

After playing around with hundreds of handgards over the years, I have always thought that Bill Giessele made some of the best out there... I went with a 15" MK8 M-Lock rail... the barrel nut design with the rail is seriously some of the best I have seen.

I then had to figure out comp I wanted... Because I have always used Lantac Dragons on my other AR's, I figured I would keep consistent with that, and went ahead and snagged a used one from an online form at a discounted rate!

Optics... because I wanted to sling rounds fast and accurate, as well as use rounds I was loading on my own, I thought a scope with built in drop comp designed specifically for my gun was a nice choice. I am a huge fan of Nightforce and decided they were who I was going to use. If you have used one of their scopes with a velocity reticle, you will understand that once zeroed, they are, for the lack of better words... "The Shiiit"! Super fast, accurate, and rounds flying all over. The only draw back is, the optic can not come off this rifle and go on another... Thats fine though. Ill take it!

How to mount it... I thought about calling Mark from LaRue or even grabbing one of the Giessele mounts... but, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to pick up a mount from Hakan. He's a hell of a nice guy and an engineering genius! Very much like Glen and Bill! Hakan sets the standard in mounts. I nabbed a Spuhr 3016 mount and have to say... Whoa!!! If you have never owned a Spuhr mount, I would highly recommend taking a look at one. Yes, it maybe a bit of overkill for an AR, but the quality of his mounts beat out any of the others I have ever owned... LaRue, ADM, Bobro, etc... Honestly, impressive.

Once I had the upper receiver done, I started working on the lower! I went straight quality here as well. Of corse to keep consistent, I went with a Seekins SP223 billet lower and KNS parts kit. I used a Vitor buffer and springs as well as a Magpul UBR stock. In addition to that, I decided to keep with Bills trigger system and went with a Giessele SD-E two staged trigger. That left the pistol grip... I run LaRue grips on all my AR's so I called up Mark and they sent out a A-Peg grip... they are the best!

I went ahead and coated the rifle in Disruptive Grey Cerakote. I have loved this color ever since Travis Haley and BCM came up with it.

I went ahead and slang some rounds down range to make sure it was zeroed in and in working order... perfection!

Hope you enjoyed the write up... any all feedback is welcome! If you have questions regarding any of the parts, I will be happy to answer those as well! Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    That is a nice looking rifle with some good quality parts.
    When the original SPR Mk 12 came out, I thought the PRI carbon fiber forearm and the SWAN sleeve were the sexiest thing I had ever seen on an AR. I didn't know the story behind it, I just thought it looked really cool, so I got all the parts to put one together pretty early. But I am one of those guys who also deviated quite a bit from the original specs, because I didn't know what they were, but I knew what I liked. Of course, that was before the whole clone community took off as well, so it wasn't as much of a sin to swap out parts.

I still think the original is very sexy, and I still love shooting mine every chance I get, but the precision AR has come a long way from those days, and it is very dated and somewhat heavy. Then again, so am I.

That was a nice write-up and a well-thought out gun. I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

cundiff5535 likes this.

3. bamashooter

bamashooter Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Great build, pics, and write-up. But damn you talk fast. Almost passed out from not breathing.:D

gaijin and cundiff5535 like this.
  4. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2015
    That is awesome. I have a BPM from here in NC that is similar, but not nearly as fine tuned as that. Although I am sure mine will hit minute of man and hundreds of yards too. And it is fairly good at quickly hitting targets from 100' and in. But damn yours is much prettier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cundiff5535 likes this.
  5. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks brother! I am really happy with the way this one turned out!

6. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Beautiful rifle! I love the two tone scheme and the color. How do you like the flat 2 stage trigger? I'm a big fan of my Giessele HSNM triggers but am wanting a flat trigger to replace the spikes enhanced in my 14.5".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cundiff5535 likes this.
  7. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Also how long is that comp? I want one. I could keep gushing over this badass boomstick all night. Well done sir.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cundiff5535 likes this.
  8. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    I really like the Giessele flat triggers... much more than the other ones I have felt from other companies (not sure why that is either). Honestly though, anything that Giessele does is just done right and works. I would say if you are interested, go for it.

Of the two flat trigger: Super Dynamic Enhanced and Super Dynamic 3G, they are both amazing but very different. the SD-E is a true 2 stage style trigger and IMO the finest one out there. The SD3G almost rolls off for very fast shooting. When they say it breaks like a carrot, its a pretty good description of the "rolling break".

Comp is about 2 1/2" long... its a really nice effective comp!

9. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    I have one of these on a bench gun... Its not nearly as light as that HSNM trigger, but its perfection for a precision combat weapon. Some may consider it to light... but for me, playing weekend rambo at the range, its seriously my favorite trigger!

10. Shooting45

Shooting45 Active Member

Sep 10, 2014
    That is truly a special AR. Great write up & nice looking rifle.

cundiff5535 likes this.
  11. cundiff5535

Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks!!

12. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Well thought and nicely executed build.
    It should be a "driver of tacks".

What ammo are you shooting for 300+?
    Any sample targets?

13. Jollyroger1

Jollyroger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2015
  14. bamashooter

bamashooter Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Lookin' at it again and drooling. Too sexy. "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)".

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  15. TightLines

TightLines Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Very very nice setup.

Weight obviously wasn't the objective but any chance you've put it on some scales?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted