A week with my Evolution Armory EVO

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by af_tt, Oct 21, 2018.

1. af_tt

af_tt Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    So I picked up EVO 25 in the classifieds and have had it for almost a week now, all I can say is WOW. It shoots lights out, I shot it next to my Ed Brown SF and there was a noticeable difference in group size for me at 10 and 15 yards. I intend to get out and shoot for time in the coming weeks, that will be the real test.

The Ionbond DLC is phenomenal, I have holstered it in a Bladetech OWB and the plastic/kydex hasn't left a mark. I sold my Milt Sparks SS a few weeks ago and am kicking myself for it now. And I missed a Garrett IWB holster this morning unfortunately. I need to pick up another OWB option and another IWB option, I'm all ears for holsters befitting this pistol.

The slide to frame is excellent, it's like ball bearings just as you would expect. The barrel legs and link seem fit very well and I haven't found any machine marks left behind etc. The Yost gold line front sight is an awesome additional feature. I've had a gold dot but never a serrated gold line, it's probably my favorite now and I'm ruined.

The one detractor I really have with this one is the trigger take up is a *little* longer than I like, though the break is excellent. It's something that I quickly overcame with a little dry fire practice and honestly under recoil is not noticable at all.

All in all I think this is the finest pistol I've had to date and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another. I'm thinking I'd like to have another in a commander or CCO configuration for warmer months, we have a lot of those in Alabama.

I will try and add some target photos as time permits and update this thread with a few comparisons to other pistol projects I have in the works as well as a more detailed review. And seriously, if you have some suggestions for holsters let me know, otherwise I'll just grab another Milt Sparks and call it good. I haven't holster shopped in a few years.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Beautiful pistol. I've had the pleasure of handling one, and can agree that they are top notch. I was especially impressed by the quality of the DLC finish, looking like a charcoal bluing. And as I've mentioned before, I don't think anyone is making a more aesthetically pleasing ball cut slide than Evo, it is just perfect.

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.

3. Colthog

Colthog New Member

Apr 12, 2014
  4. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Milt Sparks, 55BN, vertical drop, tan

af_tt, WhoIsJohnGalt? and gps man like this.
  5. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    That is a great-looking 1911 - congrats!

As for an IWB holster, my personal favorite is the Sparks SS2, so I’m very biased in recommending you grab another one of those haha...

af_tt likes this.
  6. af_tt

af_tt Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm looking at one now, seems like the Thunder Ranch version is at least in stock.

7. af_tt

af_tt Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm going to pick another up I think. That's the gold standard as it is.

8. af_tt

af_tt Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Some guys that were looking at it thought it was a blued pistol, the finish really is amazing.

9. Humbucking

Humbucking Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Stunning Evo! Congrats!

10. henchman

henchman Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Beautiful pistol. Congratulations! Shoot it every chance you get. I love the classic look.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. richiecotite

richiecotite Member

Jul 22, 2014
    I would hit John ralston at 5shot leather.

His Burton IWB is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. af_tt

af_tt Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Got the first match down with her today.[​IMG]

ronin11, cwoods, mbacker_99 and 8 others like this.
  13. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Congratulations on the match victory and the EVO. Dave is a good guy and builds a phenominal pistol Really like the chen magwell, the ionbond, well, all of it

Jollyroger1 likes this.
  14. Whiskey Sour

Whiskey Sour Blossoming Addict

Apr 13, 2017
    Gorgeous; Congrats on the new blaster and taking first in your first match with it! :cheers:

15. af_tt

af_tt Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Thanks, guys. USPSA is going down tomorrow. This thing is a laser, literally just point and see the -0 and squeeze.

16. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    Very impressive! Congratulations!!

17. af_tt

af_tt Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Disappointing situation in the middle of station 5 of 6. I switched to my EB SF to finish. [​IMG]

Whiskey Sour likes this.
  18. richiecotite

richiecotite Member

Jul 22, 2014
    What’s the story with that rear sight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. af_tt

af_tt Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not sure what happened. The screw didn't seem to have backed out. It didn't have any locktite or the like on it either though. I reached out to the guys at EA and they said if it moves again they will replace it. I was told they cut the slide smaller and hand fit the sights. With that said I was shooting the crap out of it for two days straight.

It was fun shooting at targets 25 yards out with basically just a front sight to go with. I do know it was a quick move and not gradual because I had a double alpha on every target up to that point. Luckily I took my back up pistol.

FWoo45 and 41 Charlie like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted