1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I did the deal as I noted and here is the A2 I picked up today;

Original Post;
Ok, talk to me about the A2 Commander.

I have an opportunity to trade for one locally and I really like both the feel and the nostalgic look of the A2.

How are they holding up wear wise and shooting for those of you who have them?

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,995 Posts
To be honest you cannot get a blued gun and expect it to wear well, especially at the price point of the A2's I love the guns, they are shooters for sure, tactical BGS does not work for me as my hands do not wrap around the gun well enough. I just received the commander today, but have had the full size for about 8 months. Gun runs great. But, as was listed in a previous long line of comments in a thread, these particular guns may not eject live rounds properly so some minor work may be required. If it ends up being a gun you consider to carry. Again finish is what it is, my full size has a pretty crappy finish on it, while the commander I got which is a year newer has a deeper more definitive finish to it.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I did not expect it would wear like my V-Bob Duty Finish. I sure like the overall design but I did not know about the ejection issue. Is there a specific reason for this or just a bit of needed tuning?

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,995 Posts
Yea, I did not expect it would wear like my V-Bob Duty Finish. I sure like the overall design but I did not know about the ejection issue. Is there a specific reason for this or just a bit of needed tuning?
I think the ejection port is just a tad smaller then some of their other guns, I was able to just take the Ejector back a little on mine and got it to eject 1.27 rounds which is the max oal. Another addict on here sent his back to DW, but it had some other issues and while it was there they fixed that as well. Long story short he ended up with a new one after and they would not fix that under warranty. My understanding was not all had this issue, but it was the only one of my DW guns that would not eject the max oal round.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aside from fitting, I am wondering if there is enough of a gap between it and my Colt Competition to justify getting it. I could just as easily sell what I have and put some of the money in my Competition to improve the fitting.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Steve, I read through the other post and some from a few other sites. Looks like, aside from a few things, the overwhelming response to the A2 is very positive.

I guess the question for me is would this be a good backup to my typical V-Bob EDC. I had hoped (still holding out some hope here - doing more testing today from a bench this time) that the Guardian in 38 Super would be. But I need to work out the printing issue and decide if it is something with the gun or just that me and lightweight frames do not get along.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,452 Posts
I have the A2 Commander. It is a great shooter. I've had 0, I do mean 0, issues with this particular pistol. The finish is meh. So what? It will gain character from being carried. Much more accurate than I could possibly be, I have old eyes you know. Tighter than a bullsass in fly time! Smooth as greased bearings on glass. I daresay that this pistol has me seriously considering going back to the arched MSH on my 1911's.

A final testing of SD ammo this week, and it will become my EDC.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do very much like the feel of the arched MSH as well. I was surprised how much I liked the feel of this particular gun. I think with a medium length trigger it would be just about perfect for me.

I am not overly concerned about the finish. I want a working gun and, like you, I think holster wear makes it look even better. And refinishing is not a big deal if I decide to at some point.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,995 Posts
They are great pistols otherwise I would not have one if each lol, I intend on buildung a matching set from these two guns. The only issues I have really seen are the ejection of the live rounds and personal preference, I like the rounded MS housing to a degree, but more than likely will install one piece magwells to them, and go to a memory bump bgs.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve, the lack of the memory bump will be a change and is probably the one aspect that I do not care for. When I was handling it I really cannot use my typical high safety thumb ride and consistently engage the grip safety.

However, of late I have found that I am shooting a bit better when I drop my thumb off of the safety (read, with the Guardian).

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,452 Posts
I never thought I had big hands. I have no problem riding the thumb safety and having a high grip. Perhaps the arched MSH helps in that regard.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never thought I had big hands. I have no problem riding the thumb safety and having a high grip. Perhaps the arched MSH helps in that regard.
For me it is mainly positioning. When I ride high, which is normal for me, it tend to lift my palm just a bit. Without a speed bump I will not get consistent engagement of the grip safety. I recoginzed this problem with a few other 1911’s I have owned without speed bumps. However, it just means I need to be more conscious about consistent placement. This is my only hesitation with getting the A2. It means that I need to change my hand position from my norm. However, like I said, with lighter frames (like the Guardian) I realize that this provides more consistent shots. So it is probably something I need to change anyhow.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I ended up making the trade today and headed directly to the range and ran 200 rounds through the A2 Commander. A few observations.

First, as others have noted, this is a shooter. Held point of aim and hit exactly where I expected when I held up my end of the job.

Seems to be a bit more felt recoil than either my V-Bob or Colt Competition. However, this may be due to the smaller beaver tail. I did notice it had a more pronounced impact upon the webbing between my thumb and hand. However, overall not bad at all.

I think I want a bit longer trigger. I found myself reaching back to “find” the short trigger, but with the MSH I am thinking of compromise with a medium trigger.

All in all this is a really nice gun!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Well, I did the deal as I noted and here is the A2 I picked up today;

Original Post;
Ok, talk to me about the A2 Commander.

I have an opportunity to trade for one locally and I really like both the feel and the nostalgic look of the A2.

How are they holding up wear wise and shooting for those of you who have them?
Would great looking pistol look even better if get some DW medallions for the grips.

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would great looking pistol look even better if get some DW medallions for the grips.
Yea, those were on it and I have the factory grips. I will most like change them to another VZ if I can get a deal on some. Would love DW Medialons but no idea wher to get them.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,221 Posts
Nice pick up.
I've thought long and hard about picking up a blued A2, however the arched msh, grip safety and short trigger would all have to go.

Ultimately I ended up ordering a Blue Valor in 9mm. The seem to be all but dried up. Finding a blued Valor in 45 is dang near impossible.
Glad to hear your Guardian and you are getting along better. It will serve you well.

Reactions: gps man
1 - 20 of 20 Posts