1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am continuing to stalk a full-sized, all-steel .45, and it's easy to become spoiled by EB and DW. My V-Bob (9mm) is far exceeding my expectations, so DW is high on my list, especially the A2, which seems to get rave reviews, here and elsewhere.
But, variety is good, too, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the Colt world. Don't want to start a brand war here, as I understand how personal preference, past ownership, "heritage" and other hard-to-define factors go into the mix.
That said, what say you all about a valid comparison to the A2 in the Colt line-up. Would be looking new or lightly used. This would likely (almost definitely) be a range gun for training and fun.
Or, will I never get to "apples to apples"?

·
Registered
342 Posts
O1970A1CS or O1911WC would be my comparison picks. The O1970A1CS is similar minus the beavertail, lowered and flared ejection port, and Novak style sights. The O1911WC has a beavertail and Novaks, but also has front strap checkering, checkered flat MSH, and slanted rear cocking serrations. I believe the O1911WC also has a national match barrel.

Reactions: E-Squared

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,831 Posts
The current Series 70 repro or maybe the S70 Competition would probably be the closest. Either would be apples to apples, just think red delicious vs golden delicious, similar but not matching. The Competition has a beavertail, improved sights. The S70 repro has an arched MSH but standard sights. If you mixed the two you'd be very close feature for feature. The DW doesn't have any MIM where the Colts have 4 MIM parts.

·
6,831 Posts
Prices apple to apple, I think would be the Colt Wiley Clapp. Loaded with features, I've owned 3 and still have 2, so that says something about where I value them, but I am a bit of a Colts fan.
Price vs price I think you're right, I was thinking feature for feature when I posted earlier. Colt WC Gov't vs A2, I think I'd lean towards the Colt because of my personal preferences. I see a lot of value in the checkering and sights, and don't fret over Colt's minimal use of MIM parts.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Price vs price I think you're right, I was thinking feature for feature when I posted earlier. Colt WC Gov't vs A2, I think I'd lean towards the Colt because of my personal preferences. I see a lot of value in the checkering and sights, and don't fret over Colt's minimal use of MIM parts.
You guys have quickly pointed out the deficiencies in my original query. There's comparisons of features and there's comparisons of prices.
What I was getting at, now that you've gone there, is more features/build vs. "If I were going to drop $X on an A2, what Colt is comparable?".
Specifically:
  • I greatly prefer the arched MSH. If it didn't come with one, that's probably the first mod I'd make.
  • Front strap checkering is a nice to have but not a must. If it's not there and it bugs me, I'll find some grip/skateboard tape that works.
  • Beavertail means nothing to me; wouldn't pay extra to get it, in other words.
  • Not a sight snob, but have never had a gold-bead front, so that sounds like a "Nice to have."
  • Not concerned about a handful of MIM parts, either; it's not like this is going to be put through any torture tests.
  • If what I have has spoiled me for anything, it's fit/finish and trigger feel. I'm just about experienced enough to be able to tell that my EB trigger is slightly "better" than my DW, but they're both fantastic (like, "A+" vs. "A").
I could (and likely will) create the features matrix and see what shakes out, but what about this last point? Do I need to jump up to the Wiley Clapp to get close on Fit/Finish/Trigger to the A2?

·
6,831 Posts
You guys have quickly pointed out the deficiencies in my original query. There's comparisons of features and there's comparisons of prices.
What I was getting at, now that you've gone there, is more features/build vs. "If I were going to drop $X on an A2, what Colt is comparable?".
Specifically:
  • I greatly prefer the arched MSH. If it didn't come with one, that's probably the first mod I'd make.
  • Front strap checkering is a nice to have but not a must. If it's not there and it bugs me, I'll find some grip/skateboard tape that works.
  • Beavertail means nothing to me; wouldn't pay extra to get it, in other words.
  • Not a sight snob, but have never had a gold-bead front, so that sounds like a "Nice to have."
  • Not concerned about a handful of MIM parts, either; it's not like this is going to be put through any torture tests.
  • If what I have has spoiled me for anything, it's fit/finish and trigger feel. I'm just about experienced enough to be able to tell that my EB trigger is slightly "better" than my DW, but they're both fantastic (like, "A+" vs. "A").
I could (and likely will) create the features matrix and see what shakes out, but what about this last point? Do I need to jump up to the Wiley Clapp to get close on Fit/Finish/Trigger to the A2?
Based on this post, I would look at the S70 repro, it sounds like it would fill the bill and they're around $800. I bought an unfired unit from Raylan Givens a couple of years ago and gave it to my dad. They are very nice guns, well fit and finished, good trigger, excellent examples of a no-frills Colt Gov't Model.
https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-70-govt-45-acp-5-71-double-diamond-rosewood-grip-blued

·
6,831 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, I just picked up my new Colt S70 Competition (two-tone) an hour ago. I only had time to look it over while I was waiting on the NICS check but it is very nicely fit and finished, good sights, has a nice trigger, and looks great. For $800 shipped, they are a really good deal.
https://www.1911addicts.com/threads...es-70-45acp-two-tone-799-free-shipping.46264/
That IS a great deal. Went to their website and they appear to be completely sold out of any and all Colts right now. Will continue to stalk things...and thanks for your input and the heads up!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I paid $900 for my A2 full size slightly used. IMO it is all that and bit more. Fit and finish on that particular pistol is even better than my FS Valor. And definitely better then Colt Gold Cup Trophy I just parted with.
I'm stalking a slightly used A2 myself, in that same price range. Will continue to stalk. Thank you for the insights. Better than your VALOR? Really? Guess I shouldn't wonder. In some ways, I'd grade my V-Bob above my EB SF Carry.

·
6,831 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DW vs Colt. Surely you jest.
What's interesting is that this has brought responses from guys whose post counts all (except for one) have a comma in them, and there's no consensus.
If we were to flip the question and ask, "If I were prepared to spend $1,200 (+/-) on a 5" Steel .45, and it was between an A2 and a Colt, what would the recommendation be?", I wonder if we'd still have proponents of both...? I'm betting we would. Point being, maybe, that there's no "right" answer. Is there?

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,995 Posts
I'm stalking a slightly used A2 myself, in that same price range. Will continue to stalk. Thank you for the insights. Better than your VALOR? Really? Guess I shouldn't wonder. In some ways, I'd grade my V-Bob above my EB SF Carry.
Yeah if you read up on the A2 they've actually done a lot of hand blending and fitting of parts on that gun as opposed to just the Machining. I believe if I'm not mistaken the slide the frame is also hand fit. This was why I believe they only plan on building 200 a year. It's definitely different as the beaver tail is done differently and it has a few different parts on it but still all tool steel internals and it's just one heck of a good shooter the only downfall I find is it's got the White 2. Combat rear sight in the front sight to me looks a bit pink for some reason and maybe the prior owner put some kind of red dye in there and that's not the way the factory ones are but I ended up dropping hey. Of green fluorescent paint in the front. And it does quite nicely.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,452 Posts
If you need the pony on the gun for it to seem right, get the Colt. If you want one that is just plain right, get the A2. I have the Commander version, and it is lights out. Fits my hand like no other, points like the finger of Gawd! I will likely be changing out the sights, but that's cause I'm old and the front is all kinds of blurry.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,995 Posts
I will say that I found the Finish as far as the bluing to not be my style and plan on having that redone. But man to fit on that gun the barrel lock up the whole nine yards the guns just a hell of a shooter and very comfortable in your hand I'll be doing a lot of custom work to that gun hopefully in the near future. 900 maybe a little pricey for a good base gun I guess but when you get a Dan Wesson you don't have to trade out many parts if any.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you need the pony on the gun for it to seem right, get the Colt. If you want one that is just plain right, get the A2. I have the Commander version, and it is lights out. Fits my hand like no other, points like the finger of Gawd! I will likely be changing out the sights, but that's cause I'm old and the front is all kinds of blurry.
No Pony bias here! In fact, this thread shows how little I know, other than they have a great following and that certain heritage/aura. Sights matter to me, too, as I'm "of a certain age"! Another A2 fan heard from! Thank you for the endorsement!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will say that I found the Finish as far as the bluing to not be my style and plan on having that redone. But man to fit on that gun the barrel lock up the whole nine yards the guns just a hell of a shooter and very comfortable in your hand I'll be doing a lot of custom work to that gun hopefully in the near future. 900 maybe a little pricey for a good base gun I guess but when you get a Dan Wesson you don't have to trade out many parts if any.
Yep, for me, it's probably 90% there. Maybe a sight swap, but not right away. There's a lot to be said for continuity in design, workmanship and feel. Takes away lots of unknowns. I've had lots of black guns (Sig Nitron), and the blue seems kind of unique, and the two stainless I have are probably enough for now.
If it sounds like I'm talking myself into it, that's probably because I am...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts