1911 Firearm Addicts banner

A2 vs. a Colt _____________?

Dan Wesson 
12K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  E-Squared 
#1 ·
Am continuing to stalk a full-sized, all-steel .45, and it's easy to become spoiled by EB and DW. My V-Bob (9mm) is far exceeding my expectations, so DW is high on my list, especially the A2, which seems to get rave reviews, here and elsewhere.
But, variety is good, too, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the Colt world. Don't want to start a brand war here, as I understand how personal preference, past ownership, "heritage" and other hard-to-define factors go into the mix.
That said, what say you all about a valid comparison to the A2 in the Colt line-up. Would be looking new or lightly used. This would likely (almost definitely) be a range gun for training and fun.
Or, will I never get to "apples to apples"?

#2 · (Edited)
O1970A1CS or O1911WC would be my comparison picks. The O1970A1CS is similar minus the beavertail, lowered and flared ejection port, and Novak style sights. The O1911WC has a beavertail and Novaks, but also has front strap checkering, checkered flat MSH, and slanted rear cocking serrations. I believe the O1911WC also has a national match barrel.

Reactions: E-Squared
#3 ·
The current Series 70 repro or maybe the S70 Competition would probably be the closest. Either would be apples to apples, just think red delicious vs golden delicious, similar but not matching. The Competition has a beavertail, improved sights. The S70 repro has an arched MSH but standard sights. If you mixed the two you'd be very close feature for feature. The DW doesn't have any MIM where the Colts have 4 MIM parts.

#6 ·
You guys have quickly pointed out the deficiencies in my original query. There's comparisons of features and there's comparisons of prices.
What I was getting at, now that you've gone there, is more features/build vs. "If I were going to drop $X on an A2, what Colt is comparable?".
Specifically:
  • I greatly prefer the arched MSH. If it didn't come with one, that's probably the first mod I'd make.
  • Front strap checkering is a nice to have but not a must. If it's not there and it bugs me, I'll find some grip/skateboard tape that works.
  • Beavertail means nothing to me; wouldn't pay extra to get it, in other words.
  • Not a sight snob, but have never had a gold-bead front, so that sounds like a "Nice to have."
  • Not concerned about a handful of MIM parts, either; it's not like this is going to be put through any torture tests.
  • If what I have has spoiled me for anything, it's fit/finish and trigger feel. I'm just about experienced enough to be able to tell that my EB trigger is slightly "better" than my DW, but they're both fantastic (like, "A+" vs. "A").
I could (and likely will) create the features matrix and see what shakes out, but what about this last point? Do I need to jump up to the Wiley Clapp to get close on Fit/Finish/Trigger to the A2?

#9 ·
#15 ·
What's interesting is that this has brought responses from guys whose post counts all (except for one) have a comma in them, and there's no consensus.
If we were to flip the question and ask, "If I were prepared to spend $1,200 (+/-) on a 5" Steel .45, and it was between an A2 and a Colt, what would the recommendation be?", I wonder if we'd still have proponents of both...? I'm betting we would. Point being, maybe, that there's no "right" answer. Is there?

#17 ·
If you need the pony on the gun for it to seem right, get the Colt. If you want one that is just plain right, get the A2. I have the Commander version, and it is lights out. Fits my hand like no other, points like the finger of Gawd! I will likely be changing out the sights, but that's cause I'm old and the front is all kinds of blurry.

#18 ·
I will say that I found the Finish as far as the bluing to not be my style and plan on having that redone. But man to fit on that gun the barrel lock up the whole nine yards the guns just a hell of a shooter and very comfortable in your hand I'll be doing a lot of custom work to that gun hopefully in the near future. 900 maybe a little pricey for a good base gun I guess but when you get a Dan Wesson you don't have to trade out many parts if any.

#20 ·
Yep, for me, it's probably 90% there. Maybe a sight swap, but not right away. There's a lot to be said for continuity in design, workmanship and feel. Takes away lots of unknowns. I've had lots of black guns (Sig Nitron), and the blue seems kind of unique, and the two stainless I have are probably enough for now.
If it sounds like I'm talking myself into it, that's probably because I am...

#23 ·
I like my Colt competition (it is 9mm) I bought the very first one I found when they came out. I would not mind a SS competition in 45 to go with it.
I like my Dan Wesson’s too but I trade those off easily as they are good trading material. I’m down to just one Colt and one Dan Wesson for now.

PS: I prefer commander and cco size guns over government size

#24 ·
You know, I'm beginning to re-think the whole 5"/Full sized thing. My philosophy has always been that I wouldn't buy a gun I couldn't/wouldn't carry. I'm not an IWB guy, and that 5" version could be a challenge OWB, even with a 25 degree cant (like most of my Bullards). The two commanders I have seem just right, so don't know why I'm talking myself into a 5". Just because, I guess.

#26 ·
Well, exactly right! This whole debate I've gotten myself into is wrenching. This will be a "sleep on it" for several nights in a row. I could see that Series 70 Repro being a great base gun with the advice of the wizards in this place. You know who you are...

#27 ·
If I woke up in your shoes I'd purchase the Colt. Either a Wiley or 70 series comp. Enjoy it for a bit, save your pennies send it off for some custom work. While your waiting buy an A2 to shoot the snoot out of while you wait for your Colt to return. Of course that adds up fast but hey....reverse order and keep the pony stock and doctor up the A2. Its a win win whatever you choose.

#30 ·
I paid about $1300 after tax for my Dan Wesson A2. I went in for a CZ 75 Compact, but it had a thumb safety instead of a decocker, so I started fondling 1911s not really planning to purchase anything.

I checked out a Colt Competition - it might shoot good, but I didn't care for the build quality. I've had some older Colts that were put together pretty well, but I've yet to find a new build in a store that I'd buy. Then I checked out the Dan Wesson A2. It was tight, yet smooth, and the trigger was fantastic. I purchased it on the spot.

#32 ·
I owned, both. An A2 5” and a colt combat elite, flip a coin, trigger far superior out of the box on the A2, yes Seris 70 compared to 80, I traded the A2 towards my S/A. Pro. Friend offered what I paid for it, or I’d still own it,
both no malfunctions and equally accurate colt CE or DW A2, my only minor dislike with the A2 was the safety not function but lg, and sharp edges. Overall like I said flip a coin.

#33 ·
Thanks for that! Seems like I've read elsewhere about some hit-and-miss on the DW thumb safety, but have't sorted out personal preference issues from mis-fit/assembly. Will definitely check out the Combat Elite. Appreciate you sharing your perspective!

#34 ·
I would have a hard time picking any manufacturer over Dan Wesson these days. I carry a 77 Colt Combat Commander as my EDC and picked up a Valkyrie for my daughter and it works, every time with no work put into it by me. They are just putting out good guns and depending on what you pick a lot of features, but most importantly they work!!

#35 ·
Colt stainless Wiley Clapp commander and DW Valkyrie commander. Still breaking in the DW, the Colt is reliable as the sunrise and has %110 of my confidence. The DW is as light as a lightweight Colt commander. The Colt is for truck and nightstand. The DW will be my ccw once it gets through the break in period and proves reliable. I don't imagine a fella could go wrong with either.

Gun Firearm White Trigger Gun accessory

#38 ·
Colt stainless Wiley Clapp commander and DW Valkyrie commander. Still breaking in the DW, the Colt is reliable as the sunrise and has %110 of my confidence. The DW is as light as a lightweight Colt commander. The Colt is for truck and nightstand. The DW will be my ccw once it gets through the break in period and proves reliable. I don't imagine a fella could go wrong with either.

View attachment 122969
Those are both beauties, aren't they?!?!? Nice pic, too. That side-by-side continues to lead me down the path of Full-Sized vs. Commander. Need to do more in-person handling.

#36 ·
No "hit or miss on DW thumb safety", they just plain suck. And from my example there isn't enough material left at the axle to do much about it. Its a little thing but with all the fit & finish propaganda ….. don't take that wrong, I own a DW but they are no where near Brown, Baer, NHC, GI, insert other here, IMHO.

Good luck with your decision.

#37 ·
Thanks again for your input. As the owner of both an EB and a DW, I'd agree that the EB thumb safety is better, but the fitment of the grip safety in my V-Bob is better than my SF Carry. That said, I wouldn't push either of those issues into the "suck" category, but that's just me. I guess I would be concerned if the fit/finish/feel of either of those components was any worse in any of the Colts that have been suggested in this thread. To my eye, the mere "look" of the Colt thumb safety in photos is not great, but I'll be hitting my LGS today to handle a few, side-by-side, to become more informed.

#39 ·
I’m a big fan of the traditional Colt family but at this time comparison has me leaning towards the DW. Features and accuracy in my opinion put the DW slightly above the Colt. Still if the Colt is what you want it can’t be held against you. Either way is a win win.

#41 ·
The Competition line keeps coming up in this thread, and it's hard to ignore something like this, for the money:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/772586843
Totally agree about the Smurf grips, and I'm not personally a fan of the beavertail, but if I end up with a 5" something-or-other, I probably wouldn't carry it anyway.
Just to show you what a rookie I am: can the beavertail be replaced?

#48 ·
Let me tell you a story. I have a friend who used to buy Colts. For example, he would buy a Colt Wiley Clapp, then go on Brownells or Cylinder and Slide and buy parts for his newly purchased Colt. His parts list would be around $1,000, plus gunsmith installation. He finally came to the realization that purchasing a Dan Wesson gave him everything he wanted for a lot less money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.