About to Order a SA Custom Carry

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by TexShooter, Nov 7, 2011.

1. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    So i've been toying around with the idea of ordering a custom 1911 for quite some time and looked at multiple shops. I've decided that since Springfield has been so good to me, and their work is just outstanding, I've decided to order one from them. I'm going to call them sometime either this week or next and place my order.
    Here's what I'm thinking:

5" barrel w/ bushing
    GI style serrations
    No front cocking serrations
    Ball cuts on slide
    Harrison Design long solid trigger pull tuned to 3.5# (not sure if i should go flat trigger on this one)
    Colt style undercut front strap
    20LPI hand checkering on front strap
    Non-ILS checkered mainspring housing
    10-8 u-notch rear
    Gold bead front? (i'm worried the gold bead will be too large to be accurate at longer distances)
    FBI nub slide stop
    Ion Bond whole pistol including small parts, barrel

I've been saving up for a while and i know ill have quite a bit more time to save while i wait for the work to be done.

2. Bumper

Bumper New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Re: the gold bead size. I have several 1911s with a gold bead front sight. The bead size varies from the full width of
    the post (0.125) to something quite a bit smaller (can't get to the safe right now). The full-width bead while very usable indoors at relatively short range (25 yds), would be a little overwhelming in full sunlight at longer range. The best
    compromise in my view is a 0.080" dia bead. Nighthawk just did an install for me on one of their pistols with that dia.
    bead and it really does the job without any overkill. It's also important (to me at least) that the bead is installed with
    the top of the bead flush with the top of the post. Not everyone agrees with that, the other 1911 builder in Arkansas
    being an example.

I would think SACS could/would tell you what size bead they planned to use, and where on the post they normally
    imstalled it.

3. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Sounds cool to me. :thumb:

4. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Sounds like a nice build.

5. John Ryder

John Ryder Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    If you're worried about the GB being too big, just request they use a Novak sight. Their bead is much smaller than what SA uses, which I believe is a SDM sight.

Other than that, my condolences.

6. AlchemyCustomWeaponry

AlchemyCustomWeaponry Crabby Old Gunsmith

Nov 4, 2011
    Do not pay for hand checkering at Springfield.

7. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Sounds like a good build plan.

Last time I talked to Deb about a build, she mentioned that the GI-style vertical serration slides don't come up as often for the custom guns (as far as oversized ones go), and it would possibly delay the build a bit. This was a while back, though, so I'd confirm it.

As far as hand checkering goes, Springfield's Custom Shop does pretty darned good machine checkering. Might be worth considering.

Looking forward to reading more thoughts on the front sight's gold bead configuration. Its position relative to the top of the post wasn't something I had really thought about before.

Andy

8. Trent

Trent Site Founder Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    Sounds nice! Can't wait to see it when it is done!

9. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Ya I was considering just doing machine checkering as well. They've done machine checkering on a view of my other customized 1911s and it's turned out great. I may decide to go that way.

10. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Quack you may know the answer to this but I'll be calling SACS anyway if not. On the custom shop catalog all the pictures of their pros and custom carry models have the older (pre-2002) dust covers, are they still using those frames at the custom shop?

11. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    they should all have the newer profile.

12. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Re: the GI style serrations. Even if it did add to the build time I don't mind. Id rather wait for what I really want especially if I'm spending the money!

13. Retired

Retired New Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think a Custom Carry made to those specifications is a great choice.

I recently had the SACS install a gold bead front sight on a 5" 1911. It didn't occur to me to ask about different bead widths. The sight they installed has a gold bead the same width as the .125" blade. It looks like the one at the SDM website.

One of my other pistols has a Novak gold bead front sight. After shooting both sizes, I found that I prefer the larger .125" bead. It's easier for me to center it in the rear notch. My eyesight at close distances isn't perfect anymore, and that might be the reason.

The size of the rear notch might also make a difference. The 10-8 Performance sights come in three notch widths, .125", .140", and .156". I decided to try a .140" 10-8 rear sight on the 1911 with the Novak gold bead front. It's great for quick shots out to about 7 yards. But I have problems with precision shots at 25 yards, even shooting from a bench. I might switch back to a .125" rear notch on that pistol.

14. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I'm starting to have second thoughts and looking at the Baer Custom Carry or Ultimate Tactical Carry with no FCS. (Also like that i can order a naked slide on the Baer although this isnt the determining factor). I like SA as a company and the fact that they warranty their products for life.

Any thoughts? Comparisons with the SA Custom Carry?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  15. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I doubt you can get all the same options on the Baer you can get on SACS. They are both going to be very tight well made guns. The SACS should be a little more refined than a stock Baer but I would assume it will also cost a lot more.

Make sure you see if anything from Ed Brown looks good to you as well.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted