About to order Alchemy 1911!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by hdm3, Nov 5, 2019.

1. hdm3

hdm3 US ARMY

Jan 25, 2012
    Years ago I wanted to send Rob my Les Baer, sadly wasn't able to at the time but have always admired his work. Found out I'm about to be a dad and got the green light to make a last nice purchase for myself in a while, so I decided to go for a ACW Prime Elite Hard Chrome.

I am still deciding on what sights I want. Really wanted a target-style rear sight and had read that would be available eventually. Any suggestions? never had a gold bead sight, love the looks not sure if its the better choice since I will shoot this gun often. I also was thinking about getting the better than 1" @ 25 yards. I was told when contacting Alchemy through the website that when picking that option, Rob is the one that actually does the build. Can anyone here confirm that? This is a one time thing for me, so if I have that chance I'll take it.

I'm looking to order through george at gunslingers this week, but in the meantime

Any pictures from the Hard Chrome primes from fellow forum members?

2. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Rather than seeking advice here, I'd recommend that you talk to Rob directly about what you're primary needs/objectives are with regard to "building" a pistol. He'll be very direct about how to best serve your needs based on a very high level of experience.

Pilot Rich, cgff, Raven312 and 15 others like this.

3. hdm3

hdm3 US ARMY

Jan 25, 2012
    I wrote through the website but got a reply from Nick. Not sure on how to reach Rob himself, tho getting his opinion and suggestion would be amazing.

Pilot Rich and Colorado Sonny like this.
  4. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Re. sights; there is a reason FO FSs are so popular amongst competitive shooters.

You indicate you will shoot this regularly.
    Think hard about FO Front.

notshawn54, AJP, FWoo45 and 4 others like this.
  5. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Congrats on fatherhood !!!!!

There is nothing greater......NOTHING. :)

Also....congrats on getting a supernice gun built.

Sounds like you really need to do some research and deep down decision making. Last thing you want to rush into is making an order for something that you'll regret later.....such as a rear sight choice that can't be undone, etc.

I get it, though....you want that "one 1911 to rule them all" among your collection. I can relate. I'll be there one day, too. I'm still in the "getting all bases covered" stage now, though.

Hard chrome sounds great, too.

Hopefully you can speak directly with Rob and sorta work through your goals with this gun and get those definitive likes/dislikes and unconsidered options mapped out.

Again, congrats on fatherhood.

notshawn54, FWoo45, Slapshot and 2 others like this.
  6. hdm3

hdm3 US ARMY

Jan 25, 2012

That is my top option right now since I really enjoy the sights on my shadow 2. I really like the classy look of the gold bead, and if its a good performer, I would consider it too. Trying to find that line between performance and looks, which on this purchase both matter to me

THANK YOU! super stoked about becoming a dad.

Ill try to PM Rob, hopefully he can help me out!

FWoo45, Snakebill and Dub like this.
  7. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    @AlchemyCustomWeaponry ?

B81 likes this.
  8. hdm3

hdm3 US ARMY

Jan 25, 2012
    Yeah, through the Alchemy website, in the contact us . I PM'ed Rob. I know he is active on the forums, so hopefully I can get his input and place the order:D

edit:i feel so dumb lol. you were tagging him

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Dub likes this.
  9. 1911 crazed

1911 crazed Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Congratulations on becoming a Dad. Nothing greater than your kids. I ordered a hard chrome prime elite with the 1 Inch in 25 yards and a gold bead sight. Should be done in April. Good luck with fatherhood and you are getting a great quality gun that is beautiful and accurate.

notshawn54 likes this.
  10. Signman150

Signman150 Active Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Gold bead looks better but the fiber optic wins at the range.

I have a gold bead on a Wilson and a gold line on a Yost and wish both would have been ordered with fiber optics!

11. 1911 crazed

1911 crazed Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
    I agree fiber optics are better at the range . Just couldn’t help putting a gold bead on hard chrome absolutely beautiful.

12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    face-palm-Hogan.jpg

B81, FWoo45, Sapper and 5 others like this.
  13. Jrock9

Jrock9 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Hard chrome alchemy super jealous. Being a dad well i pay child support but its not that bad love my boy!!!!

1911 crazed and Hernan like this.
  14. hdm3

hdm3 US ARMY

Jan 25, 2012
    Thank you! You have good taste! Cant wait to see pictures of it.

what would you say is the con of the gold bead vs the FO in terms of performance?

15. crc01

crc01 Active Member

Apr 24, 2018
    If it's an option, I would go FO. I didn't see it as an option so went Tritium with my order.

Hernan likes this.
  16. Oldgunner

Oldgunner Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2018
    When I ordered my Alchemy Anomaly pistol, I talked directly with Rob about the sights that I wanted based on my expected use (CCW) and the state of my eyesight. I ended up with a fiber-optic front sight with a U-notch rear that works very well for me ('Ill be 77 tomorrow). If you haven't connected with Rob, keep trying. I'd "PM' Rob for you, but respect his privacy. You can't go wrong with his advice and the guns that he produces.

FWoo45, Mtek, gps man and 1 other person like this.
  17. dvs6

dvs6 Active Member

Feb 17, 2018
    In for info, I too would want a adjustable rear sight with a full face serrated back of the sight, Bo-Mar, NoMar, or at least the Kensight for the Novak cut. I check out Alchemy's website regularly to dream and to see any changes or updates.

Congrats on your joining the fatherhood team!

dvs6

18. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Like @1911 crazed said...

I love gold bead front sights and have a hard time NOT choosing them on a higher end 1911...

On my Guncrafter I went with a gold bead and while it is very nice, in my last two matches while running the Guncrafter I DID miss that red fiber optic front jumping out at me.

I might have to re-think my thinking....

1911 crazed and Raylan Givens like this.
  19. Signman150

Signman150 Active Member

Apr 20, 2014
    what would you say is the con of the gold bead vs the FO in terms of performance?[/QUOTE]

If the sun is behind you the gold bead is fine. If the sun is in front you have a black sight that is not visible.

Also, the fiber optic is much better at indoor matches.

I’m sending my Yost back to the Master to have the gold line changed to a fiber optic.

Plan to do the same with my Wilson!

gaijin and FWoo45 like this.
  20. Signman150

Signman150 Active Member

Apr 20, 2014
    The gold line/bead does look better but I care more about performance. I shoot my guns! Yost included and I want a sight I can see, especially as my eyes are aging as I pass 50!

gaijin and FWoo45 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted