Accident damages or used marks / dings on your guns

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Koreyyy, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Koreyyy

Koreyyy Active Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Hey just wanted to know what do you guys do or think

If you accidentally drop your gun but its working fine but you see the marks or any cosmetic damages that nothing to do with functioning

And you have been to range too often so receiving used marks / dings here and there but it function perfectly

I meant when i purchase a gun, i have to shoot it first until i get to used to it and i dont mind seeing marks dings from it.
    But in these days i bought some thousands of dollar pistol and i treated same as before.

And i see marks / dings and little damage on checkered here and there blah blah

It feels so different and annoyed by looking at it.

What do you guys do or think about it?

Just ignore? Or keep shooting and plan to get refinished later?

Just dropped Nighthawk President that i bought from forum member that just received today! and made some deep scratches on my Wilson while cleaning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Depends on the damage. **** happens. How bad is it?

ZoidMeister likes this.

3. Koreyyy

Koreyyy Active Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Just cosmetic marks and dings i guess but you know i just received nighthawk today and had some fun and it feels not the same as first time!!! Haha

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. ak_in_ca

ak_in_ca Well-Known Member

May 18, 2020
    Depends on the weapon, my daily carry weapons and the ones I carried on patrol are pretty worn and aren't pretty at all. They are tools and getting marked up comes with the territory. My safe queens that only get range time I'm a bit more particular about as long as its not on the crown and doesn't affect function, let it go and enjoy the pistol until it get to a point you need a full refinish

Roehl, Eric, Austin_TX and 7 others like this.
  5. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    They are tools, they get used, they show wear. I have no safe queens, no desire for any. Regardless of price or rarity they get used.

340pd, azpoolguy, Dub and 7 others like this.
  6. slingerbelt

slingerbelt Deer Magnet

Aug 13, 2018
    This is funny, Why do people always want guns to be spotless and always super clean. I am sure we all have a few scratches and scrapes on our bodies and so why bother so much about gun scratches or dings.

Uncle Bob, Dub, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  7. 2tone

2tone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Certain guns I consider "collectables". Not every gun in the safe gets range time or gets carried.

A part of me wants to argue: "You're just keeping her pristine for the next guy... ride her hard!".

Still, for a handful of guns, part of me wants to keep them pristine due to rarity, history, or whatever other silly reason. Also, some guns are not quite what I expected when I finally get my paws on them, and keeping them flawless and with low round counts makes them easier to offload.

For carry guns, on the other hand, dings and scratches I treat like battle scars. As long as they don't affect function, real wear and tear just adds to the appeal.

Eddie D and ZoidMeister like this.
  8. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Same same on my old duty 80 series. I did build an Essex in 81 for a back up for competition but it ended up as my brush gun. Ugly, well used, rattled but still grouped well at 50 yards.

ak_in_ca and ZoidMeister like this.
  9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Personally, deal with it or send it in for repair.
    You can bet your balls that there is a Ferrari out there somewhere with a door ding.

10. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    I'd think a higher end production or Custom you'd have a plan to send it back to the mothership annually or every couple years just for a tune...sure they can buff out anything.
    Worse is they might post pics and ask questions....."Was this dropped in a rock-pile? Off a ladder?"
    Mercon fixes all.:redface:

11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  12. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Okay, I'll say it . . . . .

worthless-without-pics.gif

Uselesswithoutpics.jpg

GaryH, Badabing11, Uncle Bob and 3 others like this.
  13. Magnumite

Magnumite Active Member

Feb 20, 2012
    I have a late 70’s era blue Python. It won’t take hard use constantly without going out of time. Its collectible. It gets gently used every 3-4 years.

Many of my other guns’ cosmetics would put some members into convulsions. I have a stainless Redhawk I bled on and didn’t wipe off right away...stainless will pit.

I don’t abuse my guns but I do use ‘em.

limbkiller and ZoidMeister like this.
  14. dasroofr

dasroofr Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Koreyyy, I fear this is a question only you can answer. If you loose sleep over it, get it fixed.
    However, if it were my Nighthawk, and I were to carry it daily, it would have to be pretty bad for me to refinish it.

Gary

Badabing11, ZoidMeister and Stogies like this.
  15. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    fatbaldguy, ZoidMeister and Stogies like this.
  16. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Mine are tools. I use them, they show it.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  17. Stogies

Stogies One more please!

Aug 22, 2015
    Yeah, for all of 3 seconds before they take to the shop for repair

Badabing11 and ZoidMeister like this.
  18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    I try to take care of my guns... but wear and battle scars are part of them being tools.

gaijin and ZoidMeister like this.
  19. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    @Koreyyy ,

Let's just set some expectations . . .

It shoots every time and has an amazing trigger.

Z

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 001.JPG

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 003.JPG

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 004.JPG

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 006.JPG

1918 Colt - Deadpool - 009.JPG

Deadpool - 8th Annual Shoot - livinthelife 01.jpg

1911 Trigger-02.JPG

Badabing11, Dub and Stogies like this.
  20. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    i have nicks in my 10/22 stock. They came from carrying it slinged. Because one of my 1911's was bumping it. My 20 ga i had since i was a kid. Got some nicks and a scrape on the action area. Because my son fell out of his tree stand with it. The nicks we get have a story behind them.

simonp, Kip, Fred_G and 2 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted