1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been weighing my options for steel frame commander style pistol. The two main requirements: it must be 100% reliable and accurate with my issued duty round be it the Federal HST or the WW Ranger T 230gr JHP.

I’m a Wilson Combat user at heart. I own 8 of them. Been using at least one for LE work since 1994. Currently I’m carrying a Hackathorn Special Commander and a CQB Compact in 45acp at my retirement job. Both are light weigh models. I went with a steel frame Hackathorn Special Commander to use for training and range work to reduce the wear and tear on the aluminum twin. However, this did not work out. https://www.1911forum.com/threads/hackathorn-special-commander-steel-frame.1010540/#post-13074822

I have looked at, handled and/or shot some of the offerings from Colt, Dan Wesson, and Nighthawk. All nice pistols. However, there is one offering I have not had such a chance to see, hold or shoot, the ECW Classic Carry.

However, I have had several dealings with the head man, Rob. I have a Bill Wilson Compact that I wanted to put a WC round butt magwell on. Wilson Combat would not do it as the frame being rounded would expose the grooves the mainspring housing slide up in. This would not meet their standard which made perfect sense to me. Luckly, Bigdaddymike had already blazed this trail. He posted about the work Rob did for him. I took the chance and WOW. Rob hit it out of the park.

He also did his high grip mod which is amongst the best I have ever handled. Additionally, Rob did a couple barrel bevels for me too. His work is always done exactly as advertised and at a fair price.

So now he is running ACW and offering the Classic Carry model. A quick conversation with ACW about my duty ammo later, I have placed an order for my new steel frame Commander style pistol.

Alchemy Custom Weaponry Classic Carry

· Caliber 45acp
· Finish Blued
· Front sight Novak tritium front w/ orange ring
· Rear sight Fix ACW rear
· Safety EGW Ambi safety thinned, 4 lines right, 5 lines left paddle
· Trigger length Medium trigger
· Barrel Flush Cut / Crowned
· Slide stop HRT Cut slide stop
· Magwell Extended Magwell Mainspring Housing rounded
· Grips Checkered Wood grips
· Markings Remove ACW from Slide
· Accuracy Guarantee Better than 1.5” @ 25 yards
· Magazines 2 Magazines

JW

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Great choice. I own Primes in 45 and 9 and have a Classic Carry on order in 38 super. Only thing I would do differently with my order specs is my 9 has the hrt slide stop. ACW fits those really precisely and I would ditch that because I think the normal slide stop is a little easier to insert on reassembly.

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,447 Posts
Congrats on your incoming CC.
You have made an excellent choice.
I‘M sure it will serve you well.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Pit, I followed your Hackathorn journey both at P-F and TOOS and was struck by what a class act you were in going through an arduous process to an ultimately disappointing and head-scratching conclusion.

For customer service in general, wanting to get to the bottom of your gun's mystery issue specifically, and make you a happy shooter, Wilson seemed to really step up, but I'm still shaking my head at their final assessment, and your patience and good faith with the manufacturer through all of it was more than I've seen or ever even heard of in gun world -- a good example for us all, quite frankly.

I'm sorry that in the end you've had to walk away from a manufacturer you've to this point had a happy history with, but I also think you made an excellent choice going with Rob and ACW. Doubtless he's aware of your special circumstances in coming to a Classic Carry and I suspect perhaps just a little extra "alchemy" might go into your build from the master himself to ensure you're fully back on track. Maybe you guys have even discussed this.

I recall in one of the ACW videos on barrel fitting Rob talking about sometimes tuning aspects of the fit to the specific ammo that will be used. That's generally more for competition, but I wonder if there are any tweaks he might make for your required duty load that also keep the CC reliable across a range of other loads; perhaps something to ask him.

Best of luck, and let us know how goes...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great choice. I own Primes in 45 and 9 and have a Classic Carry on order in 38 super. Only thing I would do differently with my order specs is my 9 has the hrt slide stop. ACW fits those really precisely and I would ditch that because I think the normal slide stop is a little easier to insert on reassembly.
I'll have to give that some thought. Several of my Wilsons have their version of the HRT slide stop. I use a nylon punch for removal.

The HRT SS gives me trouble, as well. I have found that using the original-style slide stop to be easier for me to disassemble.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll talk with Rob when it's closer to build time.

JW

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pit, I followed your Hackathorn journey both at P-F and TOOS ....

I'm sorry that in the end you've had to walk away from a manufacturer you've to this point had a happy history with, but I also think you made an excellent choice going with Rob and ACW. Doubtless he's aware of your special circumstances in coming to a Classic Carry and I suspect perhaps just a little extra "alchemy" might go into your build from the master himself to ensure you're fully back on track. Maybe you guys have even discussed this.

I recall in one of the ACW videos on barrel fitting Rob talking about sometimes tuning aspects of the fit to the specific ammo that will be used. That's generally more for competition, but I wonder if there are any tweaks he might make for your required duty load that also keep the CC reliable across a range of other loads; perhaps something to ask him.

Best of luck, and let us know how goes...
Thank you for the kind words. To be honest, I was somewhat taken back when Wilson called out "No mas". IMO, The company of old would never had done such a thing. Water under the bridge.

Rob and I discussed the issue broadly. Rob, being a class act, offered a couple of ideas but was clear he would have to actually have the pistol in hand to determine what the issue(s) was. When we discussed my duty loads and number of rounds the pistol will be subjected to, Rob was not concerned.

JW

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My ACW Classic Carry should get to FFL today. George (Gunslingers) sent me some pictures to hold me over. Looks damn fine! There's just something about Blued Steel and Wood Grips. Needs a leather holster for a complete look. Finally got a new steel frame 45acp Commander.

Better pics and range report soon.

JW
Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Revolver Everyday carry

1 - 20 of 62 Posts