1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I’m glad for you, envy you, and hate you (maybe a little) all at the same time. Alchemy is either a class act game changer, or has the best marketing staff around. Please review and report as soon as you can.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I ordered it’s near twin, in 9mm, several weeks ago, Ambidextrous Safety, HRT slide stop and mag well even. Your pistol gives me a vision of what mine will be. All steel for me, I never mind the extra weight.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Quick review of my Alchemy Custom Weaponry (ACW) Classic Carry. I purchased this steel framed “Commander” style 1911 to replace my steel frame Hackathorn Special Commander. Now before anyone gets butt hurt. I really like Wilson Combat 1911’s. I own 8. I carry an aluminum frame Hack Commander as my EDC. Have for the past number of years. I wanted a steel frame WC Commander, but it wasn’t to be. Wilson Combat is pistol on left in picture
Brown Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver

This post will be on my first inspection / impressions of the Classic Carry. This pistol is an incredible pistol. The workmanship and quality are obvious. When you factor in the price point, it has no equal in my opinion. I have not had a blued pistol in a number of years. I had forgot just how beautiful, blued steel and wood blend together on a pistol. Add a leather holster and voila, instant classic.

The slide is a genuinely nice blue with traditional serrations, a solid face recoil spring plug and non-flared ejection port. Again, this just fit this pistol’s style. The sights are very functional. The rear sight is blended into the slide. It has a u notched as well as a ledge for easy one hand clearing manipulation. I opted for the Novak Trijicon with orange ring front sight. It’s thinner than the Ameriglo’s offered by Wilson Combat. This is a great front sight. Quick to acquire. You get a clean look at the target without the sight obstructing said target. The barrel has a well-executed polished, reversed crown. The bushing fit is tight but easily removed with the supplied wrench. The barrel locks up with absolutely no play.

The frame continues the classic, original 1911 styling. There are no scallop cuts just aft of the trigger area. I love this look! An area I was intrigued about was the high grip frame cut. Upon gripping the pistol, this feels very well executed. I was concerned it might rub my knuckle like some Glocks do. No issue. Best high cut I have experienced. The hammer is the classic “Ring” hammer of old. Truly a nice touch. The trigger is the medium length smooth faced aluminum. The slide stop is the optional “HRT” cut with the pin cut flush with the recessed frame. The EGW ambi-safety engage cleanly and with enough friction to remain on safe during holster carry. The levers have been thinned a bit for carry purposes. The left side lever needs a little more blending close to the magwell. I notice a little pressure into the web of the hand / thumb area. With a little rounding it will be good to go. The beavertail fit is particularly good. It blends to the frame very well. I ordered the pistol with a magwell. Additionally, I ordered the optional round butt. The butt rounding is much less pronounced than most other makers versions. Rob explains this is to remain as close to the classic look while breaking the edge for concealment purposes. The checkering on the front strap and magwell are crisp and clean. The grip is extremely functional.

Revolver Wood Everyday carry Air gun Hunting knife

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Grips. I got the checkered wood. They seem to be completely functional. May be walnut, full checkered. As Rob has noted. “ I know the end user is going to end up springing for what they want later” Yep. I will be putting on a set of walnut half checkered grips soon.
Wood Everyday carry Air gun Material property Hunting knife

Frame to slide fit is tight. The slide racks as if it were mounted on ball bearings, smooth. No rattle or play.

Trigger Pull is on par with my Wilson Combat pistols. It is slightly heavier as I ordered it to have approx. a 4.5 to 5 lbs. pull. The pull is clean with no overtravel. No need for any improvement for a working pistol.

Over-all Fit & Finish – The ACW Classic Carry is right at home in the company of Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, G.I., or other higher end production pistols. This pistol represents the classic 1911’s.
Vertebrate Wood Mammal Everyday carry Rectangle

Range report soon. At +650 rounds without issue. Range instructing this weekend. Get more down the tube.

JW

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Great choice. I own Primes in 45 and 9 and have a Classic Carry on order in 38 super. Only thing I would do differently with my order specs is my 9 has the hrt slide stop. ACW fits those really precisely and I would ditch that because I think the normal slide stop is a little easier to insert on reassembly.
Rob’s slide stop is beveled over the detent. You just push it straight down. Easy peasy with never an idiot mark.

Reactions: forester4259

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Excellent report, JW. Glad she is working out. I almost sold mine, but glad I kept it. They are well built pistols.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Range report

I have gotten over 900 rounds of WW 230gr ball ammo and 100 rounds of Federal HST / Hydra Shock 230 gr JHP thru this pistol. I am happy to report, the pistol is holding up nicely thank you! We are awaiting more duty ammo so I’m holding off on the WW Ranger T JHP for now. I am confident this pistol will continue a normal service life with my duty ammunition.

I used the two ordered magazines as well as my ETM mags. No feeding problems. The slide locks the rear every time with an empty mag. With the slide in battery, a fully loaded mag locks in without a lot of extra effort. I put an empty brass casing in a mag, hit the slide release and it fed. Wadcutters? LOL. Extraction is positive and consistent. The slide speed stayed consistent thru out the initial break in. I do add a touch of oil to the barrel / bushing area, barrel hood, and slide rail cuts when I noticed the pistol was getting dry. No issues.

However, to be completely fair, I had one issue I cannot explain. On day 1 when I got to the range, I decided to start with some pairs to check out POI / POA, etc. 1st pair no problem. The holes touching at 10 yds. However, as I attempted shot #3, I discovered the trigger had locked up, frozen in place. No play or movement at all. Looking the pistol over revealed nothing. The trigger was frozen, no take up to the sear. I racked the slide back loading a fresh round, depressed a now operational trigger and the pistol fired. I have not experience issue again in over 1000 rounds.

I really like the thinner front sight with the orange ring. With the skinnier front sight in the rear sight U notch, I can still see the 6” steel targets from a distance. Picking up the sight’s orange ring allows for a quick acquisition during close encounters. This is my new favorite sight picture.

Felt recoil is on par with my steel framed Govt models. Compared to my LW Hackathorn Commander, the ACW is a bit kinder to the hand / wrist. The difference in split times is so minimal that it will not matter in a real encounter. Heck there was one run where I shoot the light weight .12 sec faster than the steel frame. I have never had an issue with the aluminum framed pistols.

The pistols checkering and the half checkered grips are perfect. The pistol stays put. The checkering does not eat the hand up after hundreds of rounds. Reloads are assisted with the nicely mounted ACW magwell. It is flared and blended to the frame very nicely.

The trigger break is exactly as I ordered it, clean and crisp @ approx. 4lbs. as ordered. The break is as clean as any of my Wilson Combats which are all great. I do not have enough time on trigger to say if the smooth face trigger is a benefit or not. It certainly feels good and has no downside.

My first drill was based on The Test, 1911 version. 10 yds. 9 rds. 7 sec. or less, from the holster. I could tell I was pushing the pistol to the left. Also, I was anticipating the trigger break based on my other pistols. All the bad hits are entirely on me.
Wood Art Religious item Gas Font

I slowed down a bit to a 9 sec. or less time and did a bit better with the rounds staying in the high center chest area. I could feel I was getting more acquainted with this pistol.
Wood Art Wall Gas Font

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Today I fired more WW ball and one box of Hydra Shocks and one box of HST I had set aside to start the test with hollow points. My supply is down some for reasons we all understand. Again, no issues. This drill is from the 7 yd line - 8 rds reload 8 rds. reload and 8 rds. < 20 sec.
Art Wood Gas Facade Door

My evaluation will continue with some Ranger T when our order comes in. I will get some turned in by the unknowing during qualifications. I am very please to date! She's showing some wear but is still a beautiful pistol

Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Wood stain

Window Wood Tree Trigger Bumper

JW

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Range report

I have gotten over 900 rounds of WW 230gr ball ammo and 100 rounds of Federal HST / Hydra Shock 230 gr JHP thru this pistol. I am happy to report, the pistol is holding up nicely thank you! We are awaiting more duty ammo so I’m holding off on the WW Ranger T JHP for now. I am confident this pistol will continue a normal service life with my duty ammunition.

I used the two ordered magazines as well as my ETM mags. No feeding problems. The slide locks the rear every time with an empty mag. With the slide in battery, a fully loaded mag locks in without a lot of extra effort. I put an empty brass casing in a mag, hit the slide release and it fed. Wadcutters? LOL. Extraction is positive and consistent. The slide speed stayed consistent thru out the initial break in. I do add a touch of oil to the barrel / bushing area, barrel hood, and slide rail cuts when I noticed the pistol was getting dry. No issues.

However, to be completely fair, I had one issue I cannot explain. On day 1 when I got to the range, I decided to start with some pairs to check out POI / POA, etc. 1st pair no problem. The holes touching at 10 yds. However, as I attempted shot #3, I discovered the trigger had locked up, frozen in place. No play or movement at all. Looking the pistol over revealed nothing. The trigger was frozen, no take up to the sear. I racked the slide back loading a fresh round, depressed a now operational trigger and the pistol fired. I have not experience issue again in over 1000 rounds.

I really like the thinner front sight with the orange ring. With the skinnier front sight in the rear sight U notch, I can still see the 6” steel targets from a distance. Picking up the sight’s orange ring allows for a quick acquisition during close encounters. This is my new favorite sight picture.

Felt recoil is on par with my steel framed Govt models. Compared to my LW Hackathorn Commander, the ACW is a bit kinder to the hand / wrist. The difference in split times is so minimal that it will not matter in a real encounter. Heck there was one run where I shoot the light weight .12 sec faster than the steel frame. I have never had an issue with the aluminum framed pistols.

The pistols checkering and the half checkered grips are perfect. The pistol stays put. The checkering does not eat the hand up after hundreds of rounds. Reloads are assisted with the nicely mounted ACW magwell. It is flared and blended to the frame very nicely.

The trigger break is exactly as I ordered it, clean and crisp @ approx. 4lbs. as ordered. The break is as clean as any of my Wilson Combats which are all great. I do not have enough time on trigger to say if the smooth face trigger is a benefit or not. It certainly feels good and has no downside.

My first drill was based on The Test, 1911 version. 10 yds. 9 rds. 7 sec. or less, from the holster. I could tell I was pushing the pistol to the left. Also, I was anticipating the trigger break based on my other pistols. All the bad hits are entirely on me.
View attachment 755320

I slowed down a bit to a 9 sec. or less time and did a bit better with the rounds staying in the high center chest area. I could feel I was getting more acquainted with this pistol.
View attachment 755321
The PTI Target! Brings back memories

·
Registered
434 Posts
I like your post first thing, thanks for your evaluation. Still want one. Wonder how far I would get with a go fund me acct for my own ACW? HA! Tell what that last target is, I like that alot, wan to give one a try.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts