Add on light rails a thing of the past?

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by handforged, Aug 2, 2020.

1. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict

May 19, 2020
    I'm going to show my age a little here but some years ago I had a full house custom built and one of things I had them do was add a Dawson Light rail to it. Building another now and I really like the dawson rail. For most purposes it's not a railed gun. Unobtrusive, add a little bit of weight but for the most part out of the way. I was looking and I guess that isn't available anymore. Grizzly in Montana makes one and I contacted them about getting one but is there some reason these aren't available now as they were? With the advent of full rail guns I guess they are becoming a thing of the past? I think they are a still relevant part, just wondering out loud to you folks.

2. Jameeson

Jameeson Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    I like the look of the old Dawson, but yes modern 1911 light rail frames are much stronger and are spec’d in 1913 or picatinny, and don’t require that surefire adapter.

3. Infidel4life11

Infidel4life11 الواحد

Apr 17, 2019
    I’ve hunted them for the last year and a half. Recently got one from grizzly and two used from Chuck a while back. There really isn’t a retail option anymore. I’ve been thinking about having a machinist make some for me. The other issue is the adapter for the surefires and lights that are available to fit the rail.

4. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Cylinder and Slide (as of a few years ago; they still might) sold an item that is effectively a copy of the Dawson Light rail. They also sold the adapters to use the light rail with a Surefire X300 pattern light.

The add-on light rail has definitely fallen into the past, probably because its a very niche product that only worked with a specific weapon light. I saw the writing on the wall about 5 years ago, and scooped up a few Dawson light rails while I still had the chance. One will be going on my upcoming Wilson project.

5. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Novak still sells a rail

Tactical Rico likes this.
  6. handforged

handforged Limestone Canyon Leather and Tool Supporting Addict

May 19, 2020
    Good I need one for my project! HA!

7. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Dawson may still make on for you.
    Try a phone call to them, sure they still have the program.
    Just a thought!

8. cpt. obvious

cpt. obvious Member

Sep 11, 2013
    I’m tempted to add the Novak rail (still available from Brownells) to my first build. Unless I can find a cheap railed frame to swap everything to.

9. Austin Millbarge

Austin Millbarge Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2018
    I think Mars was selling one too.

10. Austin Millbarge

Austin Millbarge Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2018
  11. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    I don’t care for the look of a railed 1911 frame.

On a poly pistol; who cares?

switchback and gaijin like this.
  12. jglenn

jglenn Member

Jul 8, 2016
    Foster has their railed frame on sale for 150 right now

cpt. obvious likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted