1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help a friend. He's shot a BHP for years. He now wants to jump into a .45 1911. At first he gave me a budget of $400-500. I suggested he at least double that. My first 1911 was a Baer, after which I went to NHC and Guncrafter so I don't have any experience with guns at his price point. Any thoughts on Springfield Ronin vs Dan Wesson vs Ruger, and any other suggestions. I thought he'd have a good base gun with the Ronin. Thanks for any help.

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,791 Posts
I personally don't buy Springfield's. I hear the Ronin is a good one. DW is a great choice 98% of the time, someone always cannot be satisfied. Ruger is kinda sorta overpriced for what you get, they have GREAT customer service though.
Try to show him the classifieds here, hell-be the buying agent for him here. Great deals to be had daily.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I personally don't buy Springfield's. I hear the Ronin is a good one. DW is a great choice 98% of the time, someone always cannot be satisfied. Ruger is kinda sorta overpriced for what you get, they have GREAT customer service though.
Try to show him the classifieds here, hell-be the buying agent for him here. Great deals to be had daily.
I'm trying to get him to become a member. The wealth of information and pool of experience is incredible here.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
rock island makes a fine starter 1911 . in his price range I think

I like what I have seen( check out Joe Chambers recent video on this as well)

I am a DW fan for sure. If you can afford one --that is the way to go

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rock island makes a fine starter 1911 . in his price range I think

I like what I have seen( check out Joe Chambers recent video on this as well)

I am a DW fan for sure. If you can afford one --that is the way to go
Thanks, Dan Wessons were my first suggestion to him, based on all the positive things I've read here. Hopefully I can get him to increase his budget. Ive gotta look at the Rock Islands yet.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ohhh that's timely :) thanks!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ruger makes nice 1911s for a very fair price, but he'll have to raise his budget a bit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Might also consider looking at a Kimber Custom II. I had one and never had a problem with it. I sold it with just under 2000 trouble free rounds through it. Used it to help fund a DW Vigil.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
You know I have multiple Springfields and I've shot various other brands of 1911s. Of all the under $1000 buck offerings, the Ronin is the nicest rendered that I have experience with. Mine's well past 2000 rounds, accurate as can be and very nice exterior finish to boot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's hard to tell someone what he should buy. What i see in the LGS now are Springfield's that are at the lowest price around $ 800.00.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you do some searching on Gun Deals, you can snag a Springfield Ronin for actually under the MSRP - frequently around $799. You can also find their Milspec at the $699-low $700s range. Springfield Defenders can also sometimes be found for a few bucks less, but they sell out fast.

Gun Deals

Reactions: Merton

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
I like the Ronin a lot and I've never seen one in person. I have had success with the relatively small handful of DW's I have owned, handled and fired. My A2 is currently the most consistent 1911 I own and they can be found for $950-1200. I am a huge Ruger fan, but not of their 1911's.

In my experience, starting with a RIA is not a bad thing at all. In fact, he may wonder why people drop such absurd amounts when $400-600 get's you so much. The Tisas guns out of Turkey seem to be of a pretty high quality in the same price range, but I have only seen one and didn't even handle it much less fire or own it. If my friend were looking to get into 1911's at the DW price point I'd be more than happy to recommend them. I like a lot of Springfield's offerings as well and even though the MIM in Kimber's turns me off, those that I have owned(one, currently) are accurate, reliable shooters.

If any friend or family member of mine called and asked if they should buy a Ronin in front of them I'd tell them to hurry up and do it before someone else does.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
For the money, it will be hard to beat a Ronin. IF you can find one. I looked for about a year and a half before I found mine.
5 months for me and far superior than most NIB at that price point or lower. Want to shoot SWCs with a basic 1911A1 type, it'll typically need work. If he doesn't like a Ronin he's not going to get hurt much if he sells it.

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Have your buddy jump on this one! It's a super deal.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
After years of shooting a BHP I went with a Colt 1911, your buddy needs to increase his budget, at least double it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 45 Posts