1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's hard to tell someone what he should buy. What i see in the LGS now are Springfield's that are at the lowest price around $ 800.00.
Oh, I won't tell him what to buy. I don't want that kind of responsibility lol. I'm just looking to point him in the right direction. I believe it's important for one to do their own research. I also think one has more confidence in shooting what THEY chose, compared to something someone else pushed them into.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend a DW for his first 1911. They can be finicky. Since his budget is below a grand, I’d go for the Ronin.

if you bump your friend to the DW level and he has issues with it…….

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
With todays modern CNC manufacturing, tolerances have become much tighter. So, in fact, he could get a very good shooter in that price range. Folks on the FB 1911 groups absolutely swear by the stuff coming out of the P.I. these days, and I recently purchased a cheapo Charles Daly (made in Italy by Brixia) for $400 that has run 500 rounds with nary a whimper. Fit and finish is extremely nice for the money. I dont plan on putting much more ammo through it, though... I bought it to learn how to "smiff" on a 1911. But if he's gonna double his budget, Colt or Springfield is a great place to start.

If I may offer one more suggestion...the S&W e-Series. Mine has been an absolute tack driver, with not ONE malf in over 3500 rounds. If he can live with external extractor and non-traditional slide serrations, he'd be hard-pressed to find a better bang-for-the-buck. I honestly cant remember another 1911 that offers factory flat-top slide serrations at that price point.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,426 Posts
Don't overlook Bul-armory 1911's at under a grand retail. I was able to handle a few of these while away on vacation and was very impressed with the fit and finish of these pistols. Sight set up on the tactical railed versions was a white outlined u notch rear with a white front. Very quick sight acquisition.. The tacticals are bull barreled guns and a few design features I didn't like but very well put together. They also have bushing versions as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Stick with a Government sized 5" steel frame. 185 soft ball loads might help get him past the "God awful wrist killer" recoil! ;)
I introduced my son to the M1911 with wadcutter and light-to-mid power 185 and 200-grain cast loads when he was a teenager before letting him shoot GI Ball every once in a while. His first comments were (paraphrased) "I don't know what everyone's afraid of."

He's now an Army lieutenant, and after having shot tens of thousands of rounds in military competition from M9s and M17s still uses the 1911 trigger as the benchmark.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Tough time to buy a gun. Prices are high due to silly demand. How long can they wait?
He's really not in a huge hurry. I pointed out a couple decent deals to him, it's on him now. He's across the country in NJ. I think the all the hoops he has to jump thru make him drag his feet.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Tough time to buy a gun. Prices are high due to silly demand. How long can they wait?

True that. I scored that e-Series above for under $800 from Buds in 2016. Haven't seen deals like that from an LGS in quite a while. If you can score a Brownell's 20% OFF coupon, it's good toward firearms.

·
Premium Member
9,172 Posts
I introduced my son to the M1911 with wadcutter and light-to-mid power 185 and 200-grain cast loads when he was a teenager before letting him shoot GI Ball every once in a while. His first comments were (paraphrased) "I don't know what everyone's afraid of."

He's now an Army lieutenant, and after having shot tens of thousands of rounds in military competition from M9s and M17s still uses the 1911 trigger as the benchmark.
I do have some funny stories about this.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am new to pistols period. But when I bought 3 years ago, I bought a Ruger 1911 full size. Paid $700 3 years ago for a used one made in 2013 (new ones were $900). I had shot the 1911 .45 in the Navy and liked it. I did not want to buy the more expensive for my first one, and this one has been great. I shot it along side a S&W e series, plus both S&W performance and noticed no difference in feel and accuracy when I shot all 4 guns. Despite what others might think, I shot exactly the same with all 4 guns. Again, I am new, so might be just me but I liked the Ruger the best. But I have read where some on here do not like the Ruger, and really have not understood why, so I am sure there are things for me to learn. I do listen, so feel free to explain why some do not like Ruger frames that much. I intend to buy a better one eventually. Telling me a good one to buy is ok, but Why??. But I would recommend the Ruger 1911 to a new buyer. my in-law is a Glock fan. Shots a 5-6 inch group with his Glock, and 3 inch group with mine. So i give him grief over it.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm trying to help a friend. He's shot a BHP for years. He now wants to jump into a .45 1911. At first he gave me a budget of $400-500. I suggested he at least double that. My first 1911 was a Baer, after which I went to NHC and Guncrafter so I don't have any experience with guns at his price point. Any thoughts on Springfield Ronin vs Dan Wesson vs Ruger, and any other suggestions. I thought he'd have a good base gun with the Ronin. Thanks for any help.
I was doing searches for a nephew of mine who has a limited budget, but he wants a 1911 period, Nothing else with do. So I found these recommendations:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Colt's get beat up a lot but they do run well. At least mine does. My Colt has 27K on it. It shoots well. A decent looking gun. No matter what the gun brand if it won't run it will be hated.

I also have a Dan Wesson. The Dan Wesson is a better made gun and certainly looks nicer but it won't do anything my Colt can't do.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
This has been asked and answered many times before.

*Steer-clear of any non-American 1911s. SIGs may be ok.
*Stay away from Auto-Ordnance, base Kimbers, and possibly base SAs.
*Everyone seems to like DWs and higher level SAs like the TRP, and especially the Pro model.
*A used Baer can be had for <$1500 and is an outstanding buy
*Colts are fine. Older ones may be better than newer, but that is subjective.

Tell your friend he will get what he pays for. Spend little money and get a gun w/ low-quality MIM and cast parts. But then again, few 1911-owners actually shoot their 1911s, so junk guns make excellent safe queens.

Reactions: Yosemiteken

·
Premium Member
9,172 Posts
This has been asked and answered many times before.

*Steer-clear of any non-American 1911s. SIGs may be ok.
*Stay away from Auto-Ordnance, base Kimbers, and possibly base SAs.
*Everyone seems to like DWs and higher level SAs like the TRP, and especially the Pro model.
*A used Baer can be had for <$1500 and is an outstanding buy
*Older Colts are fine and can be had for little money.

Tell your friend he will get what he pays for. Spend little money and get a gun w/ low-quality MIM and cast parts. But then again, few 1911-owners actually shoot their 1911s, so junk guns make excellent safe queens.
Older Colts can be had for little money? Kevin you haven't been watching the market! Ronins work fine and are cheaper than TRPs. Besides the guy needs to decide what mods he wants to have in time.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts