1911 Firearm Addicts banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm trying to help a friend. He's shot a BHP for years. He now wants to jump into a .45 1911. At first he gave me a budget of $400-500. I suggested he at least double that. My first 1911 was a Baer, after which I went to NHC and Guncrafter so I don't have any experience with guns at his price point. Any thoughts on Springfield Ronin vs Dan Wesson vs Ruger, and any other suggestions. I thought he'd have a good base gun with the Ronin. Thanks for any help.
Ronin is a great gun,, $799,, I’ll buy one soon,, I suggest buying a Springfield mil spec 45 , they shoot great, look great, and will last a lifetime and beyond. $599 to $699.. RIA is $499 ,, I trust Springfield much more than RIA. But,,,realistically… the Dan Wesson is the way to go. Ronin is another way to go… $1500 to $1600 for the DW ,, believe me you’ll be way happier buying a DW or a Ronin. 😎👍

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a Kimber TLE 2 that has been excellent, I carried it for years on and off duty as a cop. I hear thier current 0roducrion models are terrible but my one sample has been awesome. The coating is dog **** but the holster wear showed up after one class... I love the way it looks so I keep it oiled and stored in my safe.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
I have a Kimber TLE 2 that has been excellent, I carried it for years on and off duty as a cop. I hear thier current 0roducrion models are terrible but my one sample has been awesome. The coating is dog **** but the holster wear showed up after one class... I love the way it looks so I keep it oiled and stored in my safe.
Consider yourself lucky. I could refer you to at least three departments off the top of my head that had nothing but grief with Kimbers dating back at least 14 years.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Ronin is a great gun,, $799,, I’ll buy one soon,, I suggest buying a Springfield mil spec 45 , they shoot great, look great, and will last a lifetime and beyond. $599 to $699.. RIA is $499 ,, I trust Springfield much more than RIA. But,,,realistically… the Dan Wesson is the way to go. Ronin is another way to go… $1500 to $1600 for the DW ,, believe me you’ll be way happier buying a DW or a Ronin. 😎👍
Have my Ronin and love it (everyone knows this) and in the middle of replacing my RO Champion with a Dan Wesson. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a TLE wish I never sold it. Great gun No issues and a tack driver.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know some on here have a low opinion of SA “budget” 1911s, but my Mil-Spec Defender 1911 has been trouble-free and has eaten about 1000 rounds so far of all different brands of JHP and ball ammo, from 185 gr to 230 gr, with no issues. It’s done so with its factory 7-round mag and 8-round Colt and Combat Wilson mags.

The only other 1911 I have to compare it with is my stainless Colt Competition model in .45 ACP. I’m not the greatest shot, but to me they’re both equally as accurate when shooting from a bench rest at 15 yds. And that’s with the Colt’s fiber optic sights. The trigger on the Colt feels a bit smoother, although the Mil-Spec trigger still feels pretty good. It could be that my Colt Competition has a 70-series trigger while the Mil-Spec has an 80-series, but I could be wrong about that. The Mil-Spec is tighter and more difficult to remove the barrel bushing. The Colt’s grip safety rattles but the Mil-Spec’s doesn’t.

According to SA, both its frame and slide are forged and it comes with a “match grade” barrel. Admittedly, any manufacturer can call its barrel “match grade,” so I don’t know exactly what that means with respect to SA. It also came parkerized and with what I believr are wood grips, but maybe they’re faux wood? The difference between the “Defender” Mil-Spec and the SA’s regular Mil-Spec is that the regukar I got it pre-pandemic from a LGS for a little over $530, including tax.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I know some on here have a low opinion of SA “budget” 1911s, but my Mil-Spec Defender 1911 has been trouble-free and has eaten about 1000 rounds so far of all different brands of JHP and ball ammo, from 185 gr to 230 gr, with no issues. It’s done so with its factory 7-round mag and 8-round Colt and Combat Wilson mags.

The only other 1911 I have to compare it with is my stainless Colt Competition model in .45 ACP. I’m not the greatest shot, but to me they’re both equally as accurate when shooting from a bench rest at 15 yds. And that’s with the Colt’s fiber optic sights. The trigger on the Colt feels a bit smoother, although the Mil-Spec trigger still feels pretty good. It could be that my Colt Competition has a 70-series trigger while the Mil-Spec has an 80-series, but I could be wrong about that. The Mil-Spec is tighter and more difficult to remove the barrel bushing. The Colt’s grip safety rattles but the Mil-Spec’s doesn’t.

According to SA, both its frame and slide are forged and it comes with a “match grade” barrel. Admittedly, any manufacturer can call its barrel “match grade,” so I don’t know exactly what that means with respect to SA. It also came parkerized and with what I believr are wood grips, but maybe they’re faux wood? The difference between the “Defender” Mil-Spec and the SA’s regular Mil-Spec is that the regukar I got it pre-pandemic from a LGS for a little over $530, including tax.
Mine is trouble free also,, 2000+ rounds and it runs like a 45acp should. Like a choo-choo…🇺🇸😄

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine is trouble free also,, 2000+ rounds and it runs like a 45acp should. Like a choo-choo…🇺🇸😄
That’s awesome! I also understand they’re made (or at least assembled) here in the US. If the parts or raw materials come from other countries, I don’t know, but I suppose its possible given its price advantage. EDC mine all the time, despite the weight. While my Colt Competition is just as trouble free and looks cooler with its grips and fiber optic sights, I prefer my Mil-Spec for its simplicity. Besides its tight build, which makes it harder to disassemble, the only other complaint I have of it, albeit a minor one, is that its rear sights are kind of sharp. I may just take a file to them to round them out a bit, but for now I really enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That’s awesome! I also understand they’re made (or at least assembled) here in the US. If the parts or raw materials come from other countries, I don’t know, but I suppose its possible given its price advantage. EDC mine all the time, despite the weight. While my Colt Competition is just as trouble free and looks cooler with its grips and fiber optic sights, I prefer my Mil-Spec for its simplicity. Besides its tight build, which makes it harder to disassemble, the only other complaint I have of it, albeit a minor one, is that its rear sights are kind of sharp. I may just take a file to them to round them out a bit, but for now I really enjoy shooting it.
I bought mine about 16 or17 year’s ago,, sights aren’t sharp on that one. Sights on the 1911 are buyers choice. So many out there.. lately I’ve got to liking the trigicon night sights,, Sig has a good one’s too. I like shooting mine off a bench rest sand bag.. really accurate that way, 3 meters to 6 meters.. 👍

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
I bought mine about 16 or17 year’s ago,, sights aren’t sharp on that one. Sights on the 1911 are buyers choice. So many out there.. lately I’ve got to liking the trigicon night sights,, Sig has a good one’s too. I like shooting mine off a bench rest sand bag.. really accurate that way, 3 meters to 6 meters.. 👍

Ronin 9mm, 20 yards standing and 30 rounds rapid fire. To cold to come out of the holster without gloves. The Ronin is one of the best Springfields to come along at a good price point. I did cheat, changed the sear, disconnector and trigger with parts from Thunder Mountain.

Road surface Asphalt Line Wood Gas

·
Registered
120 Posts
I’m not a big Kimber fan but I’ve seen good ones and bad ones ,I’ve seen Kimbers and springfirld range officers. shoot with have shot thousands on rounds through them ,no issues .

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend a DW for his first 1911. They can be finicky. Since his budget is below a grand, I’d go for the Ronin.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts