Advice from guys who Parkerize~!

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Integrity Arms, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    So I just finished up 5 park jobs in a row and the cheap pot I got to start is toast imo.. Any advice on picking the right SS for this job guys? I don't know a lot about Metalurgy to speak of so I really have to rely on others knowledge in this area when it comes to various steels etc. Or I guess which grade would stand up to reheat and the solution without scaling and not be reactive to the solution, also advice on any kind of screen or baskets for parking small parts that would be non reactive. I have noticed a good deal of scale build up in my solution, even pretty quickly after cleaning and filtering.

Basically what is a better grade of Stainless to use? 18/8 18/10? I only want to do this one more time and get it right... My hot plate is a little slow, but keeps temp pretty good once it get's there.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Tagged for further info, just so happens I picked up a parked springer recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Yeah I am curious. Gonna watch my co-worker gunsmith next time he parks something.

4. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    I know one of the biggest keys is something non-corrosive was wondering if anybody uses anything besides stainless steel maybe ceramic? I just know that the pot that I currently have Is no longer going to work for me I don’t believe. Noticing a lot of corrosion already in the bottom of the pot. Just trying to get out of the trail and error stage and buy what’s needed and not have to keep fishing around LOL

hks1911 likes this.
  5. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    PM Lou. He is awesome at it.

1911fanatic likes this.
  6. MDP

MDP MP Custom

Jul 22, 2016
    It's hard to beat the kit from Brownells. It's pricey but works well. You need to scrape the bottom of the pan especially the first few times it's used until the deposits slows down.

MP Custom

wrmiller likes this.
  7. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    You could email Springfield customer ship as well. I don’t know if they would tell you anything. But I love Springfield’s parkerizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted