1911 Firearm Addicts banner

After market Trigger on Striker Carry Gun

994 views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  JimP 
#1 · (Edited)
Wondering if it would bother you to have a quality aftermarket trigger on a striker fire carry gun. I see comments from time to time where fellows think it is a bad ideal, almost act paranoid. I don't have any aftermarket triggers on striker guns but have thought about installing an Agency or Apex on my G19. I rarely carry it but don't want to rule out carrying because of the trigger. I'm not looking for a trigger with lighter pull but something wider, more comfortable that doesn't pinch my finger. Thoughts?

#5 ·
Only “gunsmithing” I’ve done to my G19 trigger/fire control, was put a Ghost Industries “3.5 Ultimate Trigger” connector trigger bar on it, in place of the OEM trigger bar. And polish the internals, of course. Glock did send me their latest recoil spring assembly since I had an early Gen 4 model and they had changed the recoil spring assembly at some point.

On a different striker-fired pistol - Springfield XD-9 Service (Compact) model, I swapped out the OEM trigger for a Powder River Precision “Ultimate Match Target Trigger XD” kit. In both the above instances, the trigger pull weight was reduced to ~3.5 pounds, which is about my minimum comfort level for a striker-fired carry gun. Not terribly difficult things to accomplish if you’re careful and you’ll take your time to fit them properly.

#7 · (Edited)
Trigger shoe is fine, but I don’t like messing with the internals and safety mechanisms of SF guns myself. Call it paranoias but many of the current SF offerings have a fully cocked striker and no external safety mechanisms outside of trigger safeties.

Plus I find the triggers on SF guns more than adequate out of the box. But everyone has a right to modify their firearms however they please, just my .02$

#9 ·
I've got an Apex in my g19 that Lou worked over for me. I really like it. It's the only SF gun I carry. The difference in the manual of arms/grip angle would bother me much more. I just sweep an imaginary safety but it usually takes me a couple mags to readjust to the grip angle and sights. Even with the grip reprofile Lou did.

#10 ·
I see no problem. Follow the same gun safety rules you would normally follow and you really wont be any more likely to have an AD. As for those who think it would come up in court if you ever had to use your gun, it has never come up before and I doubt it ever will. Having a modified gun will not be the determining factor on the validity of a defensive shooting. I say do what you want, it's your gun.

#15 ·
I agree with Reaper....determining factor on a good shoot won't necessarily be on what trigger you have installed (maybe on a civil lawsuit side it'll have impact...).

I've tried: SSVI Tyr & Apex. I liked the SSVI a bit better as it didn't look so "chunky"....but the Apex felt better.

WARNING: I change my springs to a lighter firing pin safety spring, a 4-4.5# striker spring, and a 6# trigger return spring (it actually pulls the trigger back more than stock, contributing to a lighter pull). Coupled with a polish job, I get about a 3.5# trigger with the stock trigger bar/shoe. With both the SSVI and Apex triggers AND the 6# trigger return spring, the triggers didn't reset far enough forward for the safety on the trigger shoe to engage the frame....I had to gently nudge the trigger forward the last 1/8" with my finger and then they reset fine. I took out the 6# trigger return spring and replaced it with stock and all was fine.

From my experience....if you run it stock, or at least keep the trigger return spring stock, you should be good to go. They do improve the feel of the trigger...but for me (my opinion only), I found my finger tended to "slide" down to the bottom of the shoe and I didn't like that....

#16 ·
Legally, it is irrelevant. In spite of all the hand-wringing on the web nobody has ever pointed to a case where a gun modification (or obnoxious decoration) made a difference in an otherwise justified defense shooting case.

Practically, it’s up to you and what you are comfortable with. Definitely easier to ND (there is pretty much no such thing as an AD).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.