1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m absolutely infatuated with WWII aviation. Recently I came across a couple of pictures that were pretty cool. Figured I’d share with you guys as my wife didn’t offer much enthusiasm!

Pilots of the 365th Fighter Group listening to 1st Lt Robert Hagan. Mostly wearing 1911s. Interestingly, only one of the three visible guns has stock appearing grips; with the other two having sweetheart panels and what appears to be ivory. Also cool; several guys appear to be wearing the M7 shoulder holsters as belt holsters. Also seen is the M116 flap holster.

Close-up of the sweetheart panels.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
My granddad flew B-17’s in WW2 (483rd BG, among others). I started in law enforcement a couple years before he passed, and I remember him being amazed that I was carrying the same kind of pistol off-duty that he was issued during the war.

He told me that when they got word that the war was over, they went out on the air strip and began firing rounds off into the air in celebration. He said that some of the command staff came around in a Jeep and took up their pistols. And that was that.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Do y'all think the guy on the left squatting down has his grip safety taped down? Or is that a strap holding it in the holster.
Great photo's

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s the restraining strap of the M7. You can see it better in the close up. Second picture.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I see he is carrying in Condition II.

Reactions: KS95B40

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
I see he is carrying in Condition II.
Or condition III.

When I was an MP we carried with loaded magazine inserted but hammer down on an empty chamber.

When we went on patrols with German Police they had us chamber a round before going out.
We Had to be sure to empty the chamber before going back to our MP station; we could get an article 15 for going on patrol with a round chambered.

·
NRA Endowment member
3,145 Posts
Since the securing strap may be depressing the grip safety it may have been safer to lower the hammer for carry in condition II or III.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Got it, easier to see in 2nd photo
thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts