AK Rifles for Home Defense, by Bob Campbell

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by B81, Dec 13, 2019.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Bob Campbell published an article with USCCA about a month ago on the merits of the AK for home defense:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/eastern-cousin-ak-rifles-for-home-defense/

I thought he brought up some fair points. A home defense rifle, or truck gun for that matter, is ideally something that is easily stored out of the way and requires minimal maintenance. An AK with folding stock naturally satisfies this requirement. In regards to accuracy, the AK is good enough. Self defense usually means shooting inside of 50 yards. Sub MOA accuracy just doesn't buy you any advantages at such short distances.

He spoke of 7.62x39 as being a "harder hitting" round, while still having manageable recoil. I get what he means, and I don't disagree. However, in my research it would seem that the lethality of a particular cartridge is more nuanced than bullet size and/or muzzle energy.

2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I want an AK but if we're talking <50y (or <100y or 150) .458 socom is king. I cheaped out and went .50 Beo. Wouldn't do it again now that I reload. In my experience, a quality(ish) AR can be neglected, even abused, and run reliably for much longer than the interweb would lead you to believe. Not knocking AK's, I want one, wouldn't be my go to HD gun. Truck gun probably though if I kept it in a tool box and just threw it in there.

UBOATDOC likes this.

3. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Maybe if I’m expecting Sasquatch to break in.

4. Bmlewis5117

Bmlewis5117 Member

Nov 19, 2019
    This article was old fat dude gun store bs. An AK platform and 7.62x39 have merits but that article was nothing new, not even a good subjective eval.

5. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    I guess I agree as I am old and fat and would instead use my Scout Squad. Hoping in my fat old dude way I could stop em outside of 100 yards. Or maybe since I am old and fat, they will just whiz on past and not worry about me being a threat. Not sure about gun store bs. I still work full time and so, can't hang around listening to the mall ninja young guy wanna be bs that has never been shot at and thinks it would be fun. Lemme tell ya....it is not.

Dub, wrmiller, SparkyAZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I completely agree.
    If you go 458, ensure you get a Tomix barrel and bolt.

FWoo45 and UBOATDOC like this.
  7. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The AK is over rated. It’s not ergonomic, it lacks the easy ability to mount optics as well as lights.

UBOATDOC and Kip like this.
  8. swampgas

swampgas Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2019
    Sure killed and mangled thousands in that quaint vacation spot known as VietNam

Dwe, FWoo45 and UBOATDOC like this.
  9. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    If you're a reloader, then non traditional calibers become viable options. The .458 SOCOM is a very interesting round.

If you're not a reloader, on the other hand, then paying $3 a round for something like .458 just isn't practical (for most people). Even paying around $1 to $1.50 per round for 300 BLK or 50 beo may not be practical for some.

The ballistic gel tests for TulAmmo 154gr 7.62x39 SP have been impressive. Factor in the price of about 25 cents per round, and I can see why some people are giving the AK (and SKS) a second look.

To put it more succinctly, if you're budget conscious, I think the AKM is still worth looking at. Otherwise, I agree that an AR loaded in a modern/special purpose caliber (.300 BLK, .458 SOCOM, etc) is probably going to be a better option.

FWoo45 likes this.
  10. Bmlewis5117

Bmlewis5117 Member

Nov 19, 2019
    I'm not hating on any Old Fat dudes, you do you how you do. I simply was pointing out the article added nothing but echo camber BS on one of the favorite gun debate topics. But I have to disagree on another point. Getting shot at can be fun, shooting back or shooting first is more fun, and killing ISIS is a great feeling, from personnel experience, but maybe being on sub could be cool???

UBOATDOC likes this.
  11. Bmlewis5117

Bmlewis5117 Member

Nov 19, 2019
    Also GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!

Attached Files:

12. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Submarines were only part of my Navy adventures, spent some time with USMC as their "doc", a few adventures in unusual places.

Dub and Moad like this.
  13. 13.45

13.45 Member

Nov 24, 2019
    It'll darn sure do the job.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted