1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never posted a review before so…be gentle . I recently picked up an Alchemy Custom Weaponry (ACW) Prime Elite. This gun is newly introduced and can be difficult to find informational reviews on other than the website and a couple pictures here and there. So, I wanted to give everyone my two-cents-worth.

Over-all Fit & Finish:

-Barrel: Beautifully polished, reversed crowned, and without a doubt FIT properly to the bushing/slide (ill get more into this later). The barrel sits slightly proud of the bushing. You can’t see it, but you can feel it. It’s elegant to say the least.

-Beavertail: The fit is very good. I always nit-pick this area because my expectations far exceed reality. At least not for less than $10k. Here its blended to the frame very well. When activated, its clean, with even seams and absolutely no sharp edges. The only nitpick I would give it, is that the beavertail isn’t blended on the sides to the flats of the frame. But again, this is something I would only really find on a $10k gun. This gun is less than 1/3 the price. So as far is fit and finish is concerned, at this price, it is excellent.

-Bluing: Its deep black. Its even with no drip marks, spots, or mismatched colors (between the frame and slide). The flats are polished and beautiful. It contrasts very well to the rounds which are ever so slightly matted.

-Frame to Slide Fit: Tight, but not too tight. You can easily rack the slide with just a tad bit force. Its not as tight as a Les Baer for sure. The slide moves over the frame like glass. No rattle whatsoever. Fast forward to the detail stripping part of the review and I soon found out that the slide has the SN marked on the inside. Just further showing that the slide and frames are obviously mated to each other early on in production.

-Grips. What can I say. They are wood. They are checkered. They are there. I opted for the fancy figured walnut grips. They took longer than my pistol, so I told them to ship with stock grips and follow up later. This is possibly the ONLY thing that could be improved on this pistol. The stock panel grips are nothing to write home about. But given that most people just order a set of VZ grips, this is an easy fix anyways.

-Magwell: Well blended and tightly fit into the frame. Functionally flawless. It also rocks a similar serration scheme as the front. So, the sides will have a few vertical serrations missing.

-Mag Release: Serrated, extended and well fit to the frame. Nothing much else to say about this.

-Omitted 1911a1 scallops & Ejection Flair: This definitely makes the pistol look classy. It’s a modern-day representation of the classic. I LOVE IT.

-Plug: It has a solid front and has an excellent fit to the bushing. Not much else to say about it.

-Safety: It’s a Novak. So, its well-shaped and serrated. It has a flatter paddle than I’m used to, but it’s functional. It’s proud at the sides, so it extends past the grips. Its sharp enough where you need it to be; and blended where it needs to be. Its crisp, breaks with the right amount of force. Once it gets broken in a little bit, it will be perfect.

-Serrations: The front strap serrations are clean, even and deep. No doubt done by machine. I like the way he omitted some vertical serrations towards to grip. It seems to blend in easier and will make it less likely for the serrations to chip/break off at the tips.

-Sights: I opted for the gold bead front. I wanted a classy look. Well….i got it. The bead is well executed. It’s bright, perfectly round and blended into the slide. The rear sight is just as nice. Blended into the slide, u-notched, sloped- with just enough ledge for single-handed manipulation.

-Slide Serrations: SHARP for a good purchase on the slide. Traditional cut. I prefer this to newer serrations that are sometimes just gimmicky.

-Slide Stop: Perfectly fit and flush cut. Again, its serrated where it needs to be and isn’t sharp where it doesn’t need to be. Very comfortable to use which is perfect for me because I don’t traditionally “sling-shot” or “power stroke” my slides to load my weapon.

-Trigger: Solid, aluminum, and NO serrations on the face. I love this look and I appreciate that it doesn’t have serrations. Over time, it can get annoying. Especially when firing hundreds of rounds in a single session. It has ZERO vertical movement, another feature that makes it stand out.

-Undercut: This stands out when you grip the pistol. Its amazing. At first, I thought it would be sharp and dig into my finger (like a Glock), but its well-blended and shaped. You will notice a higher grip-ability with it.

So, I took it home and detail stripped the pistol to clean and oil. I wanted to see the ignition system, barrel/bushing/slide fit, and components.

Internals:

-Barrel/Busing/Slide Fit: This is the money maker of sorts. First let me talk about the bushing to slide fit. It was tight to what felt like exact tolerances. It did require that I use a wrench. But maybe more because the pistol is brand new. Either way I appreciated the fit.

Secondly, the bushing to barrel fit. It was perfect. Not to tight, not too loose. Machined very well and mated perfectly. I typically like to slide the bushing along the barrel to see how tight it fits towards the end. It didn’t “stick” like others I’ve seen. It was just ever so slightly taught.

Thirdly, Barrel to slide fit. Think bank vault. The barrel has no play. I didn’t check the wear patterns. But I suspect it’s locking up to more than just one lug (as I’ve seen in countless 1911s). I will have to get back to you on this.

Lastly, the barrel to link fit. This is absolutely perfect. I would swear the bushing was machined as part of the lugs. When properly lined up, it flush, even and has no lateral play in it whatsoever. Again, I didn’t inspect the wear marks, because this gun hasn’t been fired yet.

-Extractor Fit: Machined perfectly to fit in the slide. It was a tight fit for sure. I needed to almost wedge it out. The hook was also mirror polished and no-doubt tuned. Another thing I need to get back to you on.

-Firing Pin Stop: Another item that was perfectly machined and TIGHT. I had to use a nylon punch to slide this thing out. This is great to avoid a bunch of issues; so, I appreciate this.

-Ignition System: Very well executed. Looks like an EGW. But I could be wrong. But comparing it to a such a great ignition kit is a compliment itself. Well fit with some polishing in critical angles. Disconnector is mirror-polished; as are the sear spring hooks, and sear-hammer angles. I didn’t weight the tripper, but I’m sure its spot-on in that sweet spot of 3.5-4 lbs.

Below ae a few of the pictures I took. Sorry about the quality in some of these. But it should be enough to give you an idea. But overall this pistol is excellent. From the features alone and the quality of the fit and finish, I expect this pistol to be pretty much the BEST value in a semi-custom 1911. When you compared to its peers in the $3k range: Wilson Combat CQB, Ed Brown (anything), Nighthawk GRP and the Les Baer SRP, this pistol is just way more value in my opinion (which we can all agree is meaningless since I don’t have a YouTube Channel).

Attachments

· Registered
2,551 Posts
, I expect this pistol to be pretty much the BEST value in a semi-custom 1911. When you compared to its peers in the $3k range: Wilson Combat CQB, Ed Brown (anything), Nighthawk GRP and the Les Baer SRP, this pistol is just way more value in my opinion (which we can all agree is meaningless since I don’t have a YouTube Channel).
Stated similar view when I received my Prime. Its definitely one of the best values out there.

· Premium Member
6,028 Posts
Coolsound-Antony,

Me too. And I hate to burst the bubble but I guess I've spoke with them 4 or 5 times about another caliber, even offered to pay $500 extra for a standard custom build but zip, zero, no go.
They said that they have no plans for a future 9mm or 38 super. This contact has been by email and had taken place in Feb. & March. I'd give them $500 more in a heartbeat for a 38 super, maybe more. I have all the DW, NH, & EB .45's I'll ever need or want. It will have to be a stupid deal on a LNIB or new .45 for me to buy it, like my last, a DW Valor .45 5" Duty finish from the custom shop that was $2200+ new and I bought it for $1150 shipped with only 200 rounds fired through it and you couldn't even tell it. Gorgeous with a magwell and a custom 3.25# trigger that is simply amazing. I would take another .45 like that at that price.

BCD 45

· Registered
2,551 Posts
Me too. And I hate to burst the bubble but I guess I've spoke with them 4 or 5 times about another caliber, even offered to pay $500 extra for a standard custom build but zip, zero, no go.
They said that they have no plans for a future 9mm or 38 super. This contact has been by email and had taken place in Feb. & March

Maybe you gave them the push they needed???

Cause in April @AlchemyCustomWeaponry posted on TOOS.

Yes, 9mm and 38 Super will be coming in 2019 sometime. I also like to offer a both caliber option if you're so inclined.
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=989742
when it was posted, I immediately signed up for Cabots email list so I would find out when.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Coolsound-Antony,

They said that they have no plans for a future 9mm or 38 super. This contact has been by email and had taken place in Feb. & March. I'd give them $500 more in a heartbeat for a 38 super, maybe more. I have all the DW, NH, & EB .45's I'll ever need or want. It will have to be a stupid deal on a LNIB or new .45 for me to buy it, like my last, a DW Valor .45 5" Duty finish from the custom shop that was $2200+ new and I bought it for $1150 shipped with only 200 rounds fired through it and you couldn't even tell it. Gorgeous with a magwell and a custom 3.25# trigger that is simply amazing. I would take another .45 like that at that price.

BCD 45
From a manufacturing stand point i see why they don't want additional calibers. They have their fill right now with just .45s. Additional parts, demand, etc. may overwhelm them right now. They only have like two guys building them. With this one, I'm more than happy to wait. Even if its a year or two.

· Registered
2,441 Posts
Great write up. Would you mind posting a pic of the overall gun on the thumb safety side, and a picture of the front sight?

I am curious about the change to the Novak thumb safety as well as the change of gold bead front sight. Initially it looked like Alchemy was using a SDM Gold Bead, but a couple of newer ones look like Novak Gold Beads.

· Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,678 Posts
Great write up. Would you mind posting a pic of the overall gun on the thumb safety side, and a picture of the front sight?

I am curious about the change to the Novak thumb safety as well as the change of gold bead front sight. Initially it looked like Alchemy was using a SDM Gold Bead, but a couple of newer ones look like Novak Gold Beads.
What he said. More pics!

· Registered
1,696 Posts
Love my Alchemy Customs Prime.

Prefer it over all the nighthawks, wilsons, Ed Browns and Barr’s I’ve owned.

I’ve sold everything but a Alchemy and 2 SACS - 1 Pro Nowlin and 1 - Custom Carry 10mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys, I apologize for the quality of the pictures. I took them on my iPhone. But I hope this answers your needs.

Below are pics of the safety paddle and the gold that was requested.

I also added some pics of the crowned barrel and how it sits within the bushing. *Notice the beautiful polish on the slide flat.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.