·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Looking forward to the range report and more photo's
Congratulations on the buy!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Give us a range report soon. I am thinking my next will be a Prime Elite in 9mm. Never held or shot one of Rob's pistols, but he is turning out a very nice 1911 from the pics.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the opportunity to go to the outdoor range and shoot the new Prime. The first 150 rounds were Sellier & Bellot 115 and MEN 124g NATO. Both manufacturers product ran fine.

I had to tap the slide into battery a couple times.

Next test, my hand loads 124g Blue bullet 1.140" (.355") over 4.1g of Alliant Sport Pistol and 125g Blue bullet 1.110" (.356") over 3.7g Alliant Sport Pistol. Both loads functioned 100% and were accurate. All shooting was done at 7 yards to avoid the mud as much as possible.

I used the magazines included with the Prime, Tripp Cobra and Wilson ETM. All magazines functioned well with each ammunition type.

20200222_125810_resized.jpg

The targets are standard N-SSA (Musket and Carbine 50 yard) 4" 9 ring, 2" 10 ring. I was shooting at a rapid pace.

The sights are nice, it took a few rounds to acclimate to a black front sight (I like Dawson Fiber Optic). Orienting the front sight about 3/4 from the bottom of the round notch produces the desired result at 7 yards. This is nice as it takes me back to my former life as an N-SSA Skirmisher! I think with practice one could shoot these target sights, fast.

The trigger out of the box is 3.5lbs, crisp, very smooth and the reset is positive. The Alchemy trigger is smoother than my LB P2 out of the box and on par with my Ithaca hand-fit 1911 trigger.

The high cut of the frame is very nice, fits the hand like a glove. Controlling the (mild) recoil and getting the sights back on target is effortless.

The finish of the Prime is superb, it is a beautiful 1911. One can see the time and care the Alchemy team puts into small details.

Now my only concern: The slide to frame fit is not what I expected. It is on the loose side and when the hammer is cocked, it rattles when shaken. I had a Dan Wesson PM-9 and have a Dan Wesson Valor (9mm) that did not and do not rattle. Hopefully this will not create problems and I trust Rob and the Alchemy team. I inquired about it and they indicate the 9mm pistols have a looser fit for reliability.

Like I said, the Dan Wessons and Baer 9mm guns are tight and reliable so time will tell. Alchemy offers a hard fit (tighter) but it's a $250 option which makes the Premier 2 with 1.5" accuracy option, a better value.

Overall the Alchemy Prime is a beautiful, well crafted pistol and made in Indiana!

20200222_125344_resized.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts