all around shotgun

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by Dan, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Dan

Dan NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2013
    I've been looking for a all around shotgun for turkey, duck, goose, pheasant. I was really leaning towards the Browning A5 to keep the tradition going with my grandfathers old light twelve belgium made. But was pulled towards the new Benelli SBE3 and then a friend told me to really look into the Beretta A400 Xtreme plus with the 70% recoil reduction system which we are supposed to shoot tomorrow. I've handled both the Benelli and the Beretta yesterday at Scheels and the benelli fits my hands better. Both the Beretta and benelli are 3 1/2" and are drilled and tapped for an optic if i so choose for turkey hunting. I am still leaning towards the Benelli because the disassembly and reassembly is much easier than the Beretta. Even the guys at scheels had a bit of difficulty reassembling the Beretta. Thanks for your input

2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Two barrels and as many triggers. A double triggered sxs is the most versatile shotgun available.

fatbaldguy, Oldgunner and UBOATDOC like this.

3. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    In my opinion, one of the Benelli semi autos will be your most versatile. Benelli is an Inertia system -- so I recommend buying it with comfort tech system in it to reduce recoil. Beretta semi auto is a gas gun ...it's heavier - and the gas system will give you less recoil...my 2nd choice would be the Beretta.

I'm a big Browning fan...but not the auto 5 ..if you go Browning...look at maxus models.

Fit is #1 issue on shotguns ...ideally buy a model that has shims for some adjustability between receiver & stock.

In a semi auto I prefer a 28" barrel.../ you will have to decide if you really need a 3 1/2" or if a 3" will do.

Badabing11 and Dan like this.
  4. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    No question about it, Benelli. I shot competition sporting clays and competition live birds for 25+ years. I mostly shot a Perazzi over/under but I also had 3 Benelli Sports and my hunting gun is a Black Eagle. Some autos are softer shooting than the Benelli but not even in the class of durability. I have shot a Benelli a 1000+ rounds without cleaning and zero malfunctions.

Beretta's have a lot of breakage parts if used a lot and hard. Not so with Benelli's. I grew up shooting an A-5 and collected them for years. I still have 6 but they are no match for a Benelli. The only other shotgun close is a Franchi and they are owned by Benelli. I would buy the new Browning A-5 before a Beretta. Now Beretta over/unders are a new ball game.

Jim D

Dan and Glock2740 like this.
  5. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    BTW, if I got the Benelli, especially if it was the 3 1/2", I'd get a 26" barrel. The difference in 26 or 28 is nothing except for sighting plain. A 26" with the receiver has the same length sighting plain as a 32" over/under. It does nothing else.

Jim D

Dan and Glock2740 like this.
  6. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    What....no recommendation for a Shockwave? LMAO

ORShooter, Kip, Whiten and 1 other person like this.
  7. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    Big Benelli fan here!:grin: I have an M2 Field 12ga and an SBE 2. Both fine as can be. :thumbs:
    And that's coming from a guy that owns multiple Remington's in 20ga and 12ga 870's, 1100's/11-87's; Winchester Model 12 in 16ga, 1300 in 12ga; Browning A500, B-80, Citori Superlight Feather O/U, BPS (all 12ga) and other various other HD shotty's (870 12ga x 2, Shockwaves in 20ga and 12ga and a 12ga KSG). Not to mention my first ever gun, a 20ga H&R single shot. :)

UBOATDOC, Kip, FWoo45 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dan

Dan NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2013
    The Benelli does have the comfort tech system and it also has the shims for adjustability. a couple of people told told me they didn't care for the benelli because they were shooting high, i just wonder if they tried using the shims to get the gun to fit them better. I was looking at getting the 28" but when talking to the sales rep he said a lot of people get the 26" because it is easier to maneuver in duck / goose blinds. Thanks for your help Jim

9. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    Lot of good recommendations so far. What would your budget be on this item if you do not mind me asking? Reason is Benelli has some very nice high grade Raffaello Legacy that would fit the bill.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Dan likes this.
  10. Dan

Dan NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2013
    the retail cost for the Beretta is 1650 and the Benelli is 1800 but i have seen one on GB for 1500new!

11. Dan

Dan NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Just got done shooting my friends beretta and the recoil system in that was awesome and cycled great shot 2 3/4 (1 1/8oz target loads) 3" and 3 1/2" magnum hunting loads were extremely pleasant to shoot. His was the 30" and has had it for 3 years. Still leaning towards the Benelli though because of dissasembly and reassembly reasons. Just wish i knew some that had the Benelli i could shoot though

12. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    I’m another vote for the Benelli. A super sport is very versatile for everything from skeet, sporting clays, trap, pheasant and turkeys. The SBE is probably not as good for quail or skeet but better for geese

13. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Dan,

The Benelli recoil is slightly more than the Beretta but if your getting it to hunt with your not going to notice the difference when shooting at birds. In competition were you might shoot 500-600 rounds in 3 days you'll notice the recoil difference. But if your not accustom to shooting that many rounds, you'll begin noticing recoil in any shotgun.

As for shooting high or right/left, yes the gun has to be fitted for you and the shims are there to help with this. I shoot a Beretta auto much higher than a Benelli because the Beretta can't get enough stock drop for me.

Ideally you want a 60/40 pattern at 17-20 yards, 60% high and 40% low. I even like 65/35. Either way you'll never block out the target with your barrel unless at extreme ranges. I don't have the bead sights on my shotguns, I've learned to shoot where I look, and I like my target sitting on top of my rib. Above all, practice mounting the gun over and over until you have the same sight picture every time and if you're serious about shotgunning, learn to shoot with both eyes open always.

You have to know where your gun is shooting, a must. So on paper or card board draw a 30" circle with a center dot about 3". Set up about shoulder high at 20 Yards. Screw in FULL choke or the tightest you have and have some 7 1/2 target loads. Raise the gun slowly concentrating on the 3" dot and soon as the dot gets on top of your rib, pull the trigger. You might have to do this several times but it will tell you where you are shooting and if your overall pattern is just a little high, it's probably just right at 60/40. I'd rather have my pattern a little low or high than to have it more right or left. If I can help you, let me know.

Jim D

Dub, Journeyman1234, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  14. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Also Dan,
    I was a duck & goose hunter most of my life and the 3 1/2" vs. the 3" doesn't shoot farther, hit harder, or kill better than the 3", there's just more shot, especially turkey hunting. The only time I shoot 3.5's is when turkey hunting or pass shooting geese at long range. But even pass shooting, I can't tell a difference but do it when using large shot because there is more of it.

Jim D

Dub and Dan like this.
  15. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    People thinking a particular mfg's guns shoot high...is because they don't understand the stock dimensions that fit them. There is nothing inherent in Benelli's designs that cause them to shoot high.

Hitting where you look...means the gun "Fits" you....and that is the issue. As discussed - you have to take the gun to the pattern board...to see if it fits you ....(unless you have shot a lot of targets over the years...and have "grooved" your gun mount to the point where you can see a particular stocks dimensions when you shoulder a gun in a shop )-- the correct drop at heel, drop at comb, length of pull, etc ...are critical to understanding on what shotgun will fit you.

In my personal case....I need a parallel comb gun ...so the comb is parallel to the rib. I prefer Browning O/U's....but I have adjusted the Benelli Super Sport, with shims, optional comb pads, optional heel pads....to Fit me.

Whether you go Beretta gas gun or Benelli Inertia gun.../ pick the one with the most adjustability ...it will be better in the long run for you. Both the Benelli and Beretta line of guns ...will serve you a very long time ...and should be a good solid investment...even if you move to something else later on.

Mike Meints, Dub, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.
  16. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Big Jim,

You are 100% correct. When beginning I mounted my shotgun in front of a mirror with my eyes closed thousands of times until I got my mount the same every time. I had a gun fitter Larry Feland in Houston fit all my shotguns to me and he had a pattern board set up there at 17 yards. The shims help but you might not be able to get what you need to fit correctly.

If I were buying one shotgun to shoot the rest of my life, I'd spend an extra $400-$450 and have it fit properly to me, a cheap investment the way I look at it. There is no substitute for a perfectly fit shotgun. In my case, I need 3/4" cast off on the stock and that's near impossible to get with shims.

Jim D

17. Dan

Dan NRA Life Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Thank you BCD 45 and BigJimP for the valuable information. Sure helped me into making a decision on what to get. Much appreciated

18. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I forgot 1 major thing, have a gunsmith install a 3/4" Kick Eez recoil pad. He may have to cut some off your stock but your shoulder will appreciate it.

Jim D

Dan likes this.
  19. BigJimP

Mar 12, 2018
    I like and use KickEez pads on all my O/U's as well...but all the Benelli's with the Comfort Tech sysrems are synthetic stocks ...like my Super Sport / the snap on gel pads, part of the comfort tech system, are good long term pads.

I would be cautious about someone telling you to go shorter than 28" on a semi auto ...shorter and lighter guns tend to get "whippy" ...and shooters tend to "slap" at targets vs making a smooth swing & smooth follow thru & transition to a 2nd or 3rd shot if you need it.

I like my general purpose guns at around 8 1/2 lbs.../ ...if I go lighter ( around 7 lbs)...then I want a longer barrel ...to lengthen my sight plane and help keep me from "slapping" at a target. My Super Sport Benelli is a 30" ...and at only 7 lbs...I add 8oz inside forend ...and 8 oz in stock ( lead golf club tape works very well ...) ...to give me a better swing feel & smooth follow thru / & it reduces recoil another 15% or so.

But all this depends on your body type...I'm 6'5" and 290...so an 8 1/2# gun feels light in my hands....my skeet partner is 5' 10" and 160 lbs and he likes his guns around 7 lbs...

No matter where you end up in all this....find a good instructor ...take a few lessons...and shoot some sporting clays ...& your wing shooting will really improve. Even try some Skeet ...and maybe some Trap ...to get a lot more repetition of target presentations ( especially in skeet). I use the same all around gun for skeet, sporting, 5 stand & upland birds ...in that 8 1/2# range. For Trap specifically...I go to a longer & heavier gun ...which is unique for that game ( Citori XT in 32" and 10 lbs )...but that Trap gun feels like you're trying to swing a big ole sewer pipe at upland birds or sporting clays, in my view.

Dan likes this.
  20. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    BigJim,

When I suggested the 26" vs. the 28" I was referring to only bird hunting and getting around with it in a duck blind. On my Black Eagle, I like the 26" for hunting but then add 3/4" for an extended choke tube. Clays is another matter altogether. All of my o/u's were 32" with the exception of one I had built for live bird competition. That one is a 30" Kolar and you would like it, balance is awesome and weighs 9lb 1oz. I had Joe M. at Rhino build a full set of 9 ported choke tubes which adds a couple more ounces.

Dan, let me warn you about what BigJim & I talking about, its super, super, super addictive. At one time in my prime, I was going through 15,000 shotgun shells per year. My buddy's and I ordered them by the pallet. Good luck brother and good shooting. Have a great time but stay safe.

Jim D
    Baytown, Texas

Mike Meints, Dub, FWoo45 and 2 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted