1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking one of these might be my next 1911.
Tell about yours, what do you like about it and what don,t you like ?
There are several choices, some of the springfields look good, This would be a carry gun for sure, so reliability Accuracy and shootability are what counts !! thanks ? ...tj

·
I’m just here for the 1911’s
3,160 Posts
If it’s a carry gun then you’ll be glad you went lightweight on the frame, it’s a big difference. Recoil is a bit more stout, but I think most people can still handle a commander LW 9 with relative ease.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How does a DW Guardian really compare to a Valor in 9 mm? I’ve found a reasonably priced V-Bob Commander, but a Guardian would be easier on the belt and the wallet. I’ve read claims that the two are basically assembled with the same fitting, care, etc and that the only difference is frame material.

·
Registered
18 Posts
V-Bob at $1,358 vs Bobtail Guardian at $1,196, both Commander and Duty Finish...is the Valor worth an additional $162? That’s my issue...I generally prefer all steel, but this will be a carry pistol when the Milt Sparks order comes in...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I bought a 9mm Alloy Commander. I don’t intend to ever carry it. Recoil is very minimal.
Shoots great at the range. I have come to find I shoot anything with a 4’’ to 6’’ barrel just about the same, at defensive distances.
Mine happens to be a LNIB Wilson Combat, only because it was a great gun at a price point I could not pass up.
You won’t regret having a 9mm 1911. Mine just happens to be a Lightweight.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I had a DW Vigil Commander in 9 and it was great! Arguably the best value out there. Very accurate, light recoil, tons of fun to shoot. The only reason I don’t still have it is I just prefer the .45 for 1911s and had to raise the money for my Colt Gunsite Commander.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,421 Posts
There are very small minor difference in the v-bob and Guardian older versions the main one being a checkered match housing on the v/bob while the guardian was smooth. Sights a bit different. And the obvious steel I've an aluminum frame Guardian is the sand gun in alloy imo. I have both and both are a pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
All Commanders had Aluminum alloy frames till the Combat Commander came out in 1970 with the steel frame. The ones I have had have worked great. These days carry a Colt/Talo Clapp Commander in 45 ACP.

·
Premium Member
9,155 Posts
Thinking one of these might be my next 1911.
Tell about yours, what do you like about it and what don,t you like ?
There are several choices, some of the springfields look good, This would be a carry gun for sure, so reliability Accuracy and shootability are what counts !! thanks ? ...tj
I carried a Colt LWC in 45acp for years. But it was tuned the way I prefer them. But my brother borrowed it and never gave it back.

Recently I decided to try a 1911 in 9mm since my last 9mm was 42 years ago and went less expensive. I love my Range Officer Champion. Putting a lot of rounds through it and enjoying it. I will replace the fire control because the hammer is cast and I'm sure the sear is MIM. Given my age, 9mm is less abusive and it eats everything I've fed it to date

My next 1911cwill be a Range Officer Operator in 9mm, so I can keep the LWC for my CCW sidearm.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Have 5 1911s. including a Valkyrie .45 a great pistol, but call me what ever you want , i really don,t see it as much more effective than my 500 dollar ria 5" .9mm. But the Vigil might be a great choice. Colt,s web sight only lists a steel 9mm, and i don,t think it has a ramped barrel..
i like ramped on anything but a .45. i will look at Dan Wessons sight.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Gun Brown Product Firearm Trigger

There have been a few threads about the Colt Gunsite LW Commander and those that have them seem pleased. I am very happy with mine. They supposedly go through the Colt custom shop and I think have a nice set of upgrades. They were $1300 at Gunsite for a long time but the price recently was jacked up to 1800. But Gunsite lowered the price around Christmas so if interested they bear watching.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Take a look at the DW ECP. It is a 4 inch barrel but is a great gun. I have had it and a Guardian and either one is an excellent choice. You might want to look at the Wilson Combat EDC-X9 although not a true 1911 it is lightweight, holds 15 rounds and shoots lights out

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,411 Posts
IMHO the best LW Commander deal is the DW Vigil, then the Guardian, however
my first choice would be a discontinued Valkyrie Commander.
The Vigil is basically a Valkyrie frame with a Guardian slide... But at $1000ish... its cheaper than a Guardian....
A fantastic value on a very well made gun!

That all being said, in 9mm, I would save my money and get a WC EDC-X9 or a
STI Staccato double stack 2011.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I must admit, I bought a WC LW Professional railed in .45 from some kind soul on here and it is easy to shoot and a dream to carry. I am not one to complain much about carry weight as I carry 29 or 39 rounds typically, but you can notice the difference though it is only a few ounces. Then again, 6 ozs is about 20% so there is that.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have a Range Officer Champion. Love it. I shoot steel bowling pins with it. My wife took it . I sent the slide out and had it milled for a Burris FF III. Sweet little gun. There are no hot loads with 9mm in a 1911.

When new, it had to go back to Springfield, then I had to finish the job so it shot accurately. Its a bull barrel, but hand link and pin issues.

David

·
Premium Member
9,155 Posts
I have a Range Officer Champion. Love it. I shoot steel bowling pins with it. My wife took it . I sent the slide out and had it milled for a Burris FF III. Sweet little gun. There are no hot loads with 9mm in a 1911.

When new, it had to go back to Springfield, then I had to finish the job so it shot accurately. Its a bull barrel, but hand link and pin issues.

David
You mean the barrel link and pin? Mine's a champ out of the box.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts