Aluminum case ammo

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by ScottyP, Oct 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ScottyP

ScottyP Member

May 5, 2020
    Natchez has aluminum case Federal .45 in stock for 45 cents a round. I'm probably going to pass but if your gun runs well on it that's a decent deal these days. What's everyone's experience with aluminum case?

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  2. FNFAN

FNFAN Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 15, 2013
    My agency from time to time gets Blazer aluminum practice ammo and I've never seen any issues in thousands of rounds of .40 cal. My Gen4 Glock 19 eats the 124 grain 9mm Blazer like candy and it happens to be one the accurate rounds for that gun.

3. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    I’ve burned through several thousand rounds of .45 and 9mm aluminum-cased rounds with no problems.

WVsig and joerockhead like this.
  4. ScottyP

ScottyP Member

May 5, 2020
    Maybe I'll get some after all.

5. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I've also shot lots of both 9mm and .45, Walmart carried it cheap and we used it for matches. Plenty accurate, no issues.

6. ScottyP

ScottyP Member

May 5, 2020
  7. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I bought a few cases of 9 a couple tears back when it was on a killer sale. I run it from time to time in outdoor ranges when I’m not in the mood to pick up brass - usually if weather is bad, ground is muddy. Zero issues with the ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    I've used 9mm and 45 acp aluminum case and never had any issues. Would not hesitate to use it again.

9. Colt Carson

Colt Carson Active Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I have read of split aluminum cases etching cylinder walls in an HK pistol. I have shot it in revolvers with no problems noticed. I use only brass in my semi-auto pistols.

10. retrieverman

retrieverman Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    I’ve shot SEVERAL. thousand rounds of 45 and 9mm, and a decent amount of 40, and it’s run great and shot accurately in all my guns.

I won’t pay 45 cents a round for it though, but then again, I don’t “need” ammo.

11. pineoak

pineoak Member

Oct 17, 2020
    Never had an issue with 9mm in plastic guns over 3000+ rounds.

Once had a casing hang up in a .45 1911 that was otherwise perfectly reliable (only failure to eject/failure to anything in 5000+ rounds). It was Blazer.

Never noticed any wear or other issues with the ammo on my guns.

I don't put cheap crap through my guns. I've seen what corrosive ammo did to my friend's AK and I'm not going that route.

Wouldn't use it for defense, but for non travel competition and plinking I'd have no issues.

12. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Good plinking ammo, no issues with a few thousand rounds fired in the least 15 years

13. Beerman138

Beerman138 Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Federal aluminum has been great for me 2000 rounds fired, but did have one not go off bad primer. Though that has nothing to do with the case.

14. Apollo99

Apollo99 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I have aluminum cased ammo for all the calibers I shoot except 50 GI, I use it at ranges you either can't pick up your cases, or times when I don't want to. Factory aluminum cased ammo always seems hotter to me for some reason.

15. Jrintx

Jrintx Active Member

Mar 26, 2019
    No issues either in 9mm or 45. Range bag is definitely lighter when I’ve taken only aluminum cased to the range.

16. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I tried shooting up some aluminum 9mm that had been wetted in the house fire of The Incident. I figured misfires from water penetration would just be malfunction practice.
    A friend observed flash at the ejection port and I found burned through cases on the ground.
    The Colt's chamber was definitely gas cut. FLG polished it and it extracts ok but it isn't pretty.
    I pulled the rest of that case of ammo to salvage the bullets for reloading. Also a large number of S&B, the pretty red stuff on primer and bullet was not an effective sealant.

Not saying aluminum ammo is not satisfactory for normal use. A friend buys it when available. But I shot a Canik the other day and function was weak, it did not eject the last round in the magazine.

17. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Yep no issues here either. I might even still have a few boxes in the bottom of the safe.

18. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Aluminum is better used for beer cans but whatever.

19. WVsig

WVsig Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2018
    All things being equal I will choose brass but have shot a fair amount of alum without issue. If you need ammo buy it.

20. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    This may be a factual statement, but I doubt it’s noticeable.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted