1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a Wilson Combat Round Butt Aluminum Magwell on a DW Vigil CCO. Everything works fine but it is certainly not a form fitting blended product. For my purposes, it will work just fine for carry. It is still smaller than a Commander with the same slide.

The set up got me thinking.... it's well known that one can blend a steel magwell to a steel frame. Has anyone ever heard of blending and refinishing an aluminum frame and magwell? I didn't find anything searching but maybe I missed something? I can't be the only one who's asked this question...

Thanks for any input!

Pete

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
On my Lightweight Stealth I ordered the aluminum BP magwell and had Steve Owens fit and blend it to the alloy frame, I then sent it to Wilson and had the entire gun de-horned and refinished.

Product Gun Firearm White Trigger
Product Gun Display device Firearm White
Gun Product Firearm Photograph White
Product Gun Firearm Photograph White

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AZ,

Thanks for the pics. Look rig! Externally, mine looks identical below the grips. The MSH stands a bit prouder on mine, not quite as flush as yours but I can live with it. The inside bevel isnt even close. The good news is that there is plenty of material that can be removed to get everything to line up.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've come to the conclusion that the blend simply isn't worth it. Kinda like putting lipstick on a pig with an aluminum frame IMO. Externally it mated fine. Just doesn't match up inside the well. It is certainly functional and doing its job. This is a carry pistol, not a collector or range only gun. I might consider a Stan Chen SI Officers Magwell when Stan puts them up for sale. The weight of the steel would not really be an issue for me. I'll take some photos later of the WC Round Butt installed and post them here.

Pete

·
Registered
229 Posts
My Wilson compact has an aluminum frame and aluminum round butt magwell from the factory. When I ordered it I spec'd it to be blended to slim/thin grips. It is blended to the frame both externally and internally and is blended to the slim/thin grips the gun wears.

Aluminum is easier to remove material than steel. Both can be blended if that is what you want. But for the external part of the blending you have to remove a lot of material to get it to match the frame on DW rounded butts. On Wilson's round butt non magwell frames like az's gun above, probably not worth doing the external blending as you will have to remove most of the back rounded portion's material. For the funnel it is all the same so blend away.

You will need to refinish the frame and magwell after doing this. For internal only I would probably just use Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black. But for a perfect blend you probably want to have the reanodized or some kind of painted finish.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not the greatest photo. DW Vigil CCO 45. Still a lot of oil all over because I'm running wet for break in. 200 rds so far with Tripp mags. Very accurate! WW White box 185 gr and Fed 230 Hydrashok no issues. Still need to try Hornady Critical Defense 185gr which is what I plan on using for carry if it passes the reliability test. WC magwell looks ok, does what its supposed to.
Gun Red Firearm Trigger Line

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.