Always know your backstop...

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Cerebrus, Oct 27, 2011.

1. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    That's terrible. Hope that kid recovers well.

2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    every time I ground hunt, even though I know what is behind my target, I get nervous. I hate being on the groun for that reason. When in a stand that angle keeps the bullet hitting the ground, but not when you are sitting parrallel with it. Sad story

3. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    I agree! I was hunting on the ground one time watching some does out at 100 or so yards. Then a loud crack rang out through the swamp and the doe I was watching dropped! A guy on the adjacent property was on our side.....needless to say I had to change my shorts after that.

Sad to hear!

4. Nick

Nick Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Here's one that happened here a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111011_11_A11_SKIATO552015

SKIATOOK - An apparently accidental shooting Monday left a man dead near Skiatook.

Osage County Sheriff's Office investigators said David L. Reed, 56, of Skiatook was working on farm equipment with three relatives at a house just outside of town when a stray bullet fired by one of two men who were target-shooting about 200 yards away struck him in the left side about 10 a.m.

A line of trees blocks the view from the target-shooting area to the house where Reed was killed, authorities said.

Wes Reed told investigators that his uncle was shot just as he and others started hearing gunfire, Undersheriff Lou Ann Brown said.

Relatives and Skiatook EMS medics tried unsuccessfully to revive David Reed.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sheriff Ty Koch said four guns were recovered.

All were semiautomatics - three pistols and one rifle. All were legal weapons, an investigator said. It was not immediately known which gun discharged the fatal bullet.

The identities of the two men who were target-shooting will not be released until Tuesday, Brown said, but she said they were in their early 20s.

Investigators were still at the scene Monday afternoon.

No arrests had been made, and Brown said the case will be sent to the District Attorney's Office for consideration of charges.

"It's one of those accidents," she said. "Hindsight's 20-20. There was a creek between them and a tree line there. They weren't visible to each other."

Reed was a bricklayer and a farmer who competed with his 1955 Allis Chalmers tractor in pulling contests at fairs and events such as Skiatook's Pioneer Days, Brown said.

He was married and had four children plus several grandchildren, she said.

5. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    that was a sad story Nick also it sounds like a few in that neck of the woods need to brush up on their law..homicide really? negligence yes.. but homicide? manslaughter tops..

6. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I was firing a Garand close range for function into a burm in the desert. Someone had dumped a load of fill dirt at the end of a road. I thought I had a proper back stop and actually I did but........ With about a pound of pressure on the trigger and ready to beak a shot, a 4Runner roared right over the top from the opposite direction and the rider crossed in front of my sights. I eased off the trigger and froze. The rider passed by me slowly and his eyes were as big as cantelopes. Never heard him, no whip and flag to see him coming, he just appeared. Scared us both a bit. Close call.

7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Stray rounds are always what has kept me from hunting. How do they organize hunting so everyone is not out there shooting at different angles? Tree stands would be fine if everyone used them but if its hunting season and people are all over on the ground, how is safety maintained other than some orange clothing that only works when its for someone to see you when your close enough?

8. 230gr

230gr Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I walked up on a pair of hunters, on a WALKING trail...uh huh...a WALKING trail in a wooded area. All camo'd up, if I hadn't been heads-up and looking I'd have practically stepped on them. I turned and headed back and now I avoid that area but when doing a walking trail anymore, I take an orange vest.

THis sort of thing also happened on "the walking dead"...folks in the woods, kid walks upon a deer and moves slowly, just in wonderment to get closer, shot rings out and a bullet hits the deer exits and hits the boy.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted