Ambi or no ambi...that is the question.

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by Pangari1, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Pangari1

Pangari1 -this space for rent- Supporting Addict

Dec 1, 2011
    So i did a search, i use tapatalk so it is not always the best on search, and could not find a thread on this.
    I'm finally going to take class at my LGS and get my out if state CCW...stupid state of Illinois....and I of course will use my TRP when I cross state lines. I have read it go both ways...no ambi cause you might "snick" it off under concealment and yes ambi...if ya need the gun to defend yourself and/or family etc...you might have to do it southpaw......
    Opinions please

2. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    If you are a lefty - get an ambi. If not, forget it.

.45 acp nut likes this.

3. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I've accidentally flipped my safety unholstering about as many times from the laft as I have the right. At least with the ambi I can do a feel check on it while it's holstered. Can't do that with a single side safety.

Bulldog7906 likes this.
  4. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    I had the problem dilespla had when I wore a holster with no sweat shield. Once I started wearing a holster with a sweat shield, it became a non issue. The thumb safety is molded into the holster so it doesn't fit right in the holster if the safety is off. Also once it is in the holster, it is impossible to flip the safety off. Of course this advice is offered on a holster that has been molded for a condition 1 1911.

5. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    This is my thoughts on the ambi. For one. If your right hand becomes injured it most likely is because you have drawn your gun at which that point your thumb safety will have been dis-engaged already. Second- you can always manipulate it like a southpaw would a one sided thumb safety. Third- they're gay unless you're a lefty.

william adams and .45 acp nut like this.
  6. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    If you are a righty, I would go single sided. I feel it hinders you way more often than it could ever help you.

.45 acp nut likes this.
  7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm a lefty and out of my few years of EDC my 1911s, I had only a couple of instances where the safety had disengaged. So lets look at this odd.

We'll just take 2 years average. 2/(365 days x 2) = 0.00274. So that's roughly 0.2% chance of the safety coming off. That's pretty damn slim.

Bottom line, if you dress the safety detent correctly, then it's not an issue. It will be harder to unintentionally snicker off the safety. And then there's the whole unholstered, disengaged grip safety, and finger on the trigger thing for the gun to actually fire. So add those three things in your odds of possibility for the gun to ACTUALLY fire a ND round. Hell, I'll have a greater chance of winning the lottery.

So who has a lottery ticket for me?

8. Pangari1

Pangari1 -this space for rent- Supporting Addict

Dec 1, 2011
    That's the way i have been leaning, since i'm a righty i was gonna yank off the ambi and replace it. Just needed some addicts that carry to confirm my thoughts. Thanks
    Of courae anybody else that hasn't chimed in please feel free..
    Oh so far i have come across a nighthawk owb holster and summer special 2...y'all speak so highly of the vm2 i've been doing some ebaying without luck so far. Think these will do well til then.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    It's the beginning of the month, so you still might be able to catch MS in their open order process.

http://www.miltsparks.com/

10. Chris

Chris YOU ****!!!! Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    Check with Allan Yoast as well for a VMII. He has them on GB quite often without the wait. Of course, you will pay some more, but nothing like some of the ebay prices.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  11. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm a lefty, and there is no way in hell I will have an ambi on a 1911. My loaded came with one, had it for about a week with it on. When the gun went back to SA for some trigger work I had em replace it with a strong side safety.. so much happier now. Stupid thing would disengage regularly in my CBST. Good call on getting rid of the damned thing.

.45 acp nut likes this.
  12. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    If you have an ambi that is disengaging with any amount of regularity the safety has NOT been fitted correctly to the plunger assembly and it should be checked. I have an ambi on my main gun and in nearly 4 years I have never, not once, had it disengage accidentally. I would also concur with Carl and say that a good holster, like the ones he makes, with a sweat shield molded to condition one safety placement can help even a poorly fit safety situation.

All that being said, I like ambi safeties. Unlike Mr. Ninja I don't think they are gay...although he may be just a tad on the fruity tootie light in the loafer side of things... If you are a lefty and have not adapted yourself to the world of right handed shooting you should, in my opinion, have a properly fit ambi installed on the gun...but that's just my two thin pennies rubbing together.

upland1911 likes this.
  13. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    I agree Joe. A properly fitted TS shouldnt disengage unintentionally, regardless of style.

Since my 2 times, I had correctly fitted it to the plunger.

14. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Joe, you got some pictures of a properly fitted safeties? Mine is rather easy to flick off and I was wondering how to go about fixing it.

15. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Dil,

I don't have any pics handy but it has to do with the depth and shape of the detent in the safety that correlates to the plunger assembly pin as well as the profile of the safety under the detent where the plunger assembly sits while the safety is in the on position. If the detent is too shallow or the wrong shape (too oblong in shape), or the profile is too curved, it can allow the safety to disengage and engage too easily.

On the converse, if it is too deep and the profile is too sharp, it causes the safety to be hard has heck to engage and disengage and when using an ambi, it can actually cause the joint inside to become compromised and loosen or even break, rendering the ejection side safety useless. And it really isn't a matter of, "well, make it this deep and this shape". Every gun is different to some degree and that is why they need to be fit individually.

16. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    Here are some pictures to go along with Joe's post. Note the corner that Joe's referencing. This is tailor to each gun, so there's no specific shape that will do it for all guns. And ultimately, the owner's feel will dictate how sharp (harder to disengage) or round (easier to disengage) the corner should be.

Joe might have some better tips. But for me, to help shape that corner is to work on the concave section of the safety.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  17. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Good lessons and photos Joe and Cuong.

And Super Ninja is ghey.

18. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I normally do not keep the ambi-safety on a 1911.

Take it easy on 'Ninja,......did ya see his quite impressive "firearms list" in his sig?! :eek:

19. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    :rofl2: :rofl2:

20. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    For my range guns I opt for a single sided safety. For carry weapons I opt for the ambi safety. Rationale has already been discussed.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted