close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ambi Safety

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Jbeck1911, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Jbeck1911

Jbeck1911 Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Hey guys got a new 1911 coming in probably around thurs. A DE 1911G one of the first runs without those ugly FS LOL. Wanted some opinions on a great not just good ambi safety to use. So far been looking at Colt's, STI's and Wilson combats. I want something quility, equal in width on both sides. not to wide or too narrow though. And i do not shoot with high thumbs. Whats the opinions out there? BTW i am left handed

2. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I've heard nothing but good things about Wilson's new "Bulletproof" ambidextrous safety.

Andy

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Same here.

I have two of their standard ambi and they're also nice.

4. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    As mentioned... the best is a Wilson Bulletproof. Not only because it's made from barstock steel (lots of others are as well), but because of the design that holds the two pieces together via a hammer pin, and not just a weak tongue in groove connection as others use.

The Kimber ambi uses the same design concept and is very good as well (I run several). It's a MIM part however and that may bother some people. But it's about 1/3 the price of the Wilson.

5. Kappy

Kappy New Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Question... say you want an ambi-safety because you shoot primarily left-handed... would you be better off with just a left-handed safety?

6. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Who makes a left-handed safety?

7. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm not aware of anyone who does either.

Kappy, the design doesn't properly allow for it. The most reasonable thing to do is aim for an ambidextrous safety. :smilie:

Andy

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted