Ambi Thumb Safeties

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by buyobuyo, Oct 23, 2011.

1. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Since I've received my new grips and need to do a little fitting to get the safety to work, I'm looking to try a different safety with bigger thumbpads. The short list is the Caspian Internal Locking, Ed Brown Wide, and Wilson Combat High Ride. I haven't been able to find dimensions of the thumbpads on the WC safety, but I sent them an email.

I was just curious if anyone has any experience with any of the safeties I listed above and what your opinions are.

2. awpk03s

awpk03s Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I'd avoid the Caspian - have read some pretty bad reviews on them, and the photos I saw didn't do it any favors.

3. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I was wondering the same thing about the Casipian. Was going to give it a try, but went with a STI ambi. I haven't tried to fit it yet, so I can't say about quality. A few pro seems to be happy with the quality.

I'm planning on giving the Wilson Combat high-ride next. I have their tactical ambi, and it's quality. Much better than EB. I had the EB, and had to return it due to the pin being too small and the tongue-groove was too loose. And this was a brand new ambi too. So back to Brownells and it was replaced with the WC tactical ambi.

4. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    There is a rumor that EGW will be making an ambi TS soon.

5. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks for the comments/suggestions so far. The only negative I've read about the Caspian in the reviews I've been able to find is the tongue/groove junction seems to be loose, which some have fixed by squeezing the groove down. None of the reviews I've seen are long-term.

Not sure why I skipped over the STI when I was looking at Brownell's site earlier, but it's been added to the list since the thumbpads are the same general size as the others I'm considering. The pads on the WC Tactical are a little narrower than what I'm looking for, and their other TS's have a smaller tab on the right than the left. I'm a lefty, so those got voted out. Their Bulletproof TS fits within the size parameters, but holy cow it's spendy.

Maybe I'll shoot EGW an email to see if there is any truth to the rumor. They make good stuff and their CS is good too. I've got one of their picatinny rails and a set of rings on one of my rifles.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  6. knedrgr

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm really tempted to try the WC BP ambi, but yes, that price is a little ridiculous. I really do hope EGW is coming out with an ambi. If they do, I'm sure it'll be quality! And a decent, affordable price too.

7. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
  8. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
    +1 for the Caspian especially if you are a lefty. Very secure and will not snap off like some of the other ambi's the lefty's abuse.

9. TexShooter

TexShooter Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I have the Ed brown installed on one of my 1911s. When they say wide they mean it! I had mine trimmed down a bit.

10. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys. It's good to hear positive feedback on the Caspian. That's the one I'm leaning toward the most right now because of the hammer pin retention. The EB is also enticing because of the monstrously wide thumb pads. Anyways, keep the reviews coming.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted