1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own many handguns but just got my 1st 1911, a SA Range Officer Elite Operator in 9mm 5". I've been told I should use +P rounds to increase slide cycling speeds until broken in. Fact or fiction? What would u experts recommend as far a ammo on a new 1911 in 9mm? Thank in advance.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I would be inclined to think the opposite. Make sure it works good with standard pressure, before pushing more through than necessary. -semi-educated idiot expert ribeye steak eater.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard so many things about 1911's I dont know what to believe. I'm sure most 1911 purist believe it should be a.
45. Which is what I.would have gotten if not for 3 pins in my wrist. I was also told to shoot heavier grain 9mm rounds 124, 147 etc. Which would reduce fte yada yada.

·
Registered
823 Posts
A lot of people like to think that the mass produced gun they just bought is somehow a "boutique" gun! These are the ones who insist that their gun must somehow require some "voodoo" break in period of X # rounds or some special ammo.
Follow the manufacturers recommendation for ammo and any required "break-in"!
Your 9mm RO will shoot just fine with any well known brand/style of ammo. Save the +P stuff for S/D because of cost not because of any break-in "voodoo"!

Smiles,

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've been told I should use +P rounds to increase slide cycling speeds until broken in. Fact or fiction?
If the pistol needs a break-in period before it'll run 100% then it wasn't built correctly and the out-of-spec parts are beating on one another until they are forced into spec.

Anyway, use lots of oil on your new blaster until it's "broken in".

·
Registered
66 Posts
No need for +P break-in or breakin at all definitely a myth. Imo “break-ins” are only for tight fit semi-custom and custom handguns. For most guns, break-in is more making sure your gun is functioning normal and isn’t a lemon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all you guys for the valuable info. Funny how most of the crap I was told was from guys who own striker fired handguns. Valuable info like this is why I joined the site. I shot a SA 1911 at the range and I was hooked. I'm sure more questions to follow. Thanks again!

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,980 Posts
I've never understood a "break in period" for guns, the phrase reminds me of advice to my parents when they bought a new car sixty years ago. If I had to break in a pistol, what would I be breaking in?

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've never heard of that. Never heard of breaking in a 1911 either except to see which ammo it prefers. O, I take that back, I've been breaking in my Les Baer for ten years now, finally starting to loosen up a tiny bit. Enjoy your new RO...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Known Agitator
2,927 Posts
Thanks to all you guys for the valuable info. Funny how most of the crap I was told was from guys who own striker fired handguns. Valuable info like this is why I joined the site. I shot a SA 1911 at the range and I was hooked. I'm sure more questions to follow. Thanks again!
LOL, stage 1 of 1911 addiction... Run! You have been warned. :)

·
Avatar is back to my favorite things!
9,776 Posts
Definitely should not require a break in, like mentioned only one’s I’ve heard wanted break in periods were Les Baer and done of the older SS Dan Wesson’s
Yours should run just about anything 100% with no issues. Don’t waste money on +p rounds.
Also absolutely nothing wrong with a 9mm, many have switched and enjoyed them immensely. I have a few myself!!

Welcome to the forum and post pics of your firearm when you get a moment, we love pictures;)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Every SA I've owned worked out of the box.
Only ones I've had to mess with are the ones some "expert" had reconfigured.
As said above, some good factory ammo preferably US made and shoot it a lot.

·
It is a dry heat, right...
3,750 Posts
I think it was Kimber that started the "break in" period, actually published it in their owners manuals. My opinion it just gave them an excuse to ignore all the customer service requests they were getting due to the general shittyness of their work...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I think it was Kimber that started the "break in" period, actually published it in their owners manuals. My opinion it just gave them an excuse to ignore all the customer service requests they were getting due to the general shittyness of their work...
Bingo. Kimber developed a reputation for poorly fit barrels resulting in barrel bump. 500 or 1,000 "break-in" rounds later the slide stop would have beaten the lower barrel lugs into a more functional shape. A terrible way to manufacture pistols.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts