Ammo Safe?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Wildcat Creeker, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Seeing the thread about the ammo shortage has me thinking: Should I buy a second safe for my ammo and magazines? How many of you have done that?

2. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    For some reason I have never thought it was a good idea to store ammo in a safe... Don't know or remember the reason I did...

3. Koreyyy

Koreyyy Active Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Im trying to keep above 3k.. keep buying if go under...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Series70

Series70 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 3, 2020
    I already had an empty safe from selling my Winchester Model 70 collection. I filled it with ammo, cases and bullets. Powder and primers are stored separately. I think it's a safety issue as much or more than a theft issue.
    And by the way, if you do store ammo in a safe, ground the safe to water pipe or another earth ground. You sure don't want a static discharge to ruin you day.
    Let me clarify my remark about grounding your safe. Mine sits on robber mats that isolates it from a concrete floor. Sitting on concrete will lessen the possibility of a static discharge.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  5. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I didn't get a big enough safe have and have overflow

0503201052.jpg 0503201052a.jpg

Mike0707, Mikey00130, blamo and 3 others like this.
  6. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    I keep mine in ammo cans...
    stored in a room off the floor ..

Sportsmans guide has a Buy one get one free going on right now...
    also..
    If you use the promo code " warpoet" you'll get a discount on eligible items once you spend 100 bucks...

River runner likes this.
  7. RSCamaro

RSCamaro Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    A safe to me is a bit too much for ammo. What are your thoughts on a rather heavy bomb.

What little manufactured ammo I have goes into a gun cabinet that I installed wooden shelves. I mostly reload so my importance factor goes into the powder magazine. Which is a standard filing cabinet with locks. It holds pretty easily 20lbs in each drawer, 1lbers or 4lbers.

All shotgun ammo goes into large lockable plastic boxes, they are hinged and have a snap clasp and 2 lpadlock holes, sometimes can be found at WickedWorld.

...Ron

Mikey00130 likes this.
  8. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Coupla years ago, a fella had fireworks powder stored in a safe. Couple of fellers decided to open it with a torch. They ended dead when the powder cooked off, pressurized the safe - and turned it into a very powerful bomb.

Moral of the story - do NOT store explosives of ANY kind in a container that isn't able to off-gas at a rate in excess of the burn rate!!!

Link to the original incident.....and they weren't the first or last.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/10...ed-when-blow-torch-ignites-fireworks-in-safe/

Mike0707 likes this.
  9. Overkill

Overkill Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Maybe the damn thieves got what they had coming!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVG and Nighttrain like this.
  10. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    One thing for sure - the thought of breaking into THAT place will never cross their minds again.....

Nighttrain likes this.
  11. Wildcat Creeker

Wildcat Creeker Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Never thought about opening my safe with a torch. Turning the dial to the correct numbers seems much easier.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    goodguywithagun likes this.
  12. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2018
    IMG_4778.JPG I keep a small amount of ammunition in the safe , but keep a bunch of these labeled near by.

13. TexasRedneck

Sep 19, 2011
    They wouldn't fit in a safe....
    Ammo.JPG

Mike0707 likes this.
  14. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Ammo cans, steel with dri packs easy to carry packed already good to go.

joerockhead likes this.
  15. studenygreg

studenygreg Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Thats how I roll as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mike A and Babboonbobo like this.
  16. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Yep ammo cans stacked next to the safe or in another place:o.o:

Mike A likes this.
  17. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Mine's a walk in. Plenty of room for what goes in it including primers. Powder is stored elsewhere.

18. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    I store shotgun ammo in the garage. Easier access. We usually shoot a flat or two a week. I’m not lugging 25-50 pounds up from the basement every week. And I’m sure not lugging 500-1000 pounds down to the basement whenever we buy a load.

I store handgun and rifle ammo in my vault, but it’s got plenty of room for that and more.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted