1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing Ziods AMT hardballer long slide. I thought it might fun to have one (addict). The reviews are conflicting As how good they are. The most effect is the galling of the slide to the frame. I thought I could have the gun melonited. I do see they are cheap and maybe I need more ice. Ok I am ready.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
I think a better question is, "How bad are they?"

Quality seems to vary tremendously depending on when in the AMT/IAI timeline they were made. Certain mfg. sites seem to offer better quality guns than others.

I for one haven't done much research into which plant locations are preferable to others. I would be interested in learning this as well.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Agent 47 didn't need his Melonited... Just sayin' LOL I'm kidding of course.
Pretty cool piece of history there, I learned that the Hardballer was the first entirely stainless steel 1911 produced. Looks like they were made by two different companies: Arcadia Machine & Tool, and Galena Industries. Not sure if that was a factor in the build quality or not, but the Galena Ind. was supposed to be a new and improved version.

Reactions: mikemac

·
Registered
138 Posts
if your real careful on the application,i have a real nice Molykote dry lube i have used before,you can use it dry or i have even mixed it in a little gun oil and put it on,i have a graphite powder i have used before also,just cant find it since we moved from nevada to oregon,place were living in is small so half our crap is in a 10x20 storage so it could be anywhere -- CAUTION -- the reason they quit putting graphite in engine oil was because even though it reduced friction,it also prematurely wore parts,use it sparingly if you do.its like teflon,it is a machining particle,polishes metal up reeeeaaal smooth

·
Custom Pistolsmith
711 Posts
Pretty cool piece of history there, I learned that the Hardballer was the first entirely stainless steel 1911 produced. Looks like they were made by two different companies: Arcadia Machine & Tool, and Galena Industries. Not sure if that was a factor in the build quality or not, but the Galena Ind. was supposed to be a new and improved version.
Wasn't the Randall the first 1911 in all stainless?

·
Registered
138 Posts
when did the randall one come out ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
MR ZOID,i have a question or 2,how much do you know about the hardballers ? i have one and its an Irwindale model.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my early years I have machined 312 stainless and that is soft and prone to gall. In mold making we use 420 and 440 stainless which is heat treatable and is great. Wonder what they used.?

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
I have one in the box to sell but it has the correct laser and NPC mount to build a Terminator gun so it’s going to cost more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,592 Posts
Same company, Galena bought Acadia Machine & Tool in the late '90s. The Arcadia factory was first, followed by Irwindale, I think there was a third factory but I can't remember where it was.

If you want to coat the gun in something have it done in hard chrome and you won't have to worry about galling.

Here is what AMT recommended for lubrication back in the day-

·
Registered
138 Posts
Same company, Galena bought Acadia Machine & Tool in the late '90s. The Arcadia factory was first, followed by Irwindale, I think there was a third factory but I can't remember where it was.

If you want to coat the gun in something have it done in hard chrome and you won't have to worry about galling.

Here is what AMT recommended for lubrication back in the day-
i know one of the locations was Covina

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,592 Posts
i know one of the locations was Covina
Thank you, that's the one I couldn't remember.

I had an Arcadia built Longslide for a while, it was unfired, in the box with the paperwork, etc.. Cool guns, the prices have gone up a lot since I bought mine in 2010. I sold it a few years later for more than twice what I paid.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you, that's the one I couldn't remember.

I had an Arcadia built Longslide for a while, it was unfired, in the box with the paperwork, etc.. Cool guns, the prices have gone up a lot since I bought mine in 2010. I sold it a few years later for more than twice what I paid.
yeah,some are like that,then some dont,just the other day though i saw one go on gunbroker for less than $400.and yes,it was a 7in longslide,and in pretty nice shape.

·
Registered
833 Posts
A friend of mine grabbed one last year I believe. If I'm not mistaken he paid $500 for it, but he wanted it as a collectable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
7 in hardballers are rare,if i could afford it i would get a few for collectables too

·
14,799 Posts
MR ZOID,i have a question or 2,how much do you know about the hardballers ? i have one and its an Irwindale model.
Not as much as I should. Once/If I get past my procedure tomorrow, I'll have to do some research.

·
14,799 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts