1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently inherited this from my grandfather. Hes had it for years and I have no idea where he got it, no box no paperwork and his memory is pretty much gone at this point. I cant find anything anywhere about this gun. It has no serial number anywhere that I can find, complete take down and searched every part. All it says is ELK 45. Any AMT guys out there?

IMG_2356.JPG
IMG_2357.JPG
IMG_2358.JPG
IMG_2359.JPG

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
That's a pretty cool AMT. Any chance your grandfather's initials are ELK? I am guessing they are and that's his .45.

I would say that your grandfather had a pretty good relationship with AMT or contacted them to commission a special gun for himself. That inscription "ELK45" is the serial number.

Pretty cool and it's the first AMT I have seen with a custom serial #. Nice touch that the grips match too.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,453 Posts
Looks like an early AMT Hardballer with a custom serial number - ELK45 is the s/n.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Huh?
The serial number is ELK45.
What with the E.L.K. on the spider grip, I figure it was special ordered with a personalized serial number.

What are Grandpa's initials?
If not E.L.K., likely he got the gun second hand.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had one of the early Hardballers,back around 1983 ,or 82. It was a jamomatic.Hope yours is better. Also had the Commander version they called the Skipper. That one was a great gun

·
14,799 Posts
As you can see, custom serial numbers are NOT an issue with the ATF. Don't think otherwise.

PCZoid-grips-final - 08.JPG

The etching of that number isn't very deep, but is consistent with how AMT was doing them. You will want to preserve /protect that number.

I am not sure it they used a laser or a carbide tip engraver back then, but it looks like either could have been used.

Reactions: xerts1191

·
14,799 Posts
Question:. Is there any chance your grandfather also collected old cast iron cookware? Or maybe worked for / part owner of a company that made cast iron cookware?

If yes, there is another special connection with that gun. The spider looks a heck of a lot like the logo on the bottom of a few very rare and collectable Griswold cast iron cookware pieces. Maybe pops commissioned this gun for himself after getting a prized piece of Griswold for his collection?

Reactions: 1L26

·
14,799 Posts
BTW, I have a couple of AMT's myself.

AMT's - 016.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He does like his cast iron, I remember hefting those out of the cupboard a few times. I know for a fact he got it second hand but no clue from where or who. He is one of those guys that just collects. I guarantee I have shot every gun he ever had more than him. Some he never shot, said he just likes them and likes to look at them. He had probably 20 different handguns in old glass cases on the wall and would just sit there and listen to Paul Harvey and stare.....He's slowly loosing it and either giving things away or people are taking advantage of him and all these pieces are just vanishing. Ive aquired several of my favorites and this was one of them along with a colt python, a trooper, and an anaconda. The gun shoots well actually, never an issue with anything Ive fed it before. I just wanted to see if it was something super rare or special edition. Looks like a custom job somebody sold, he though it was neat, and picked it up. Thanks for the replies

·
14,799 Posts
If any of those old cast iron pans say Griswold or ERIE on the bottom, those are collectable too. If they say ERIE and have a spider on the bottom, you've hit paydirt!

Those pieces would be worth twice to three times the value of that gun, maybe more.

Look for cast iron tea kettles too. Anything cast iron.

Reactions: rmac and xerts1191

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive got 2 Griswolds myself, they havent seen soap n water in the 10 years Ive owned them ;) Ill have to look at his to know any more. Mr Zoid, you in the market for cast iron skillets or something....?

·
14,799 Posts
Ive got 2 Griswolds myself, they havent seen soap n water in the 10 years Ive owned them ;) Ill have to look at his to know any more. Mr Zoid, you in the market for cast iron skillets or something....?

Negative, I have enough bad collection habits already.

But my brother-in-law is hard core on them. I am always on the lookout for him, and he returns the favor in tools and guns for me.

A good symbiotic relationship.

Reactions: rmac and xerts1191

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I bought one new in 1984 for $199. Below it is as I bought it. Not that great of a pistol and got stored away for years as I moved about the country. Sort of a survivor pistol.

Mine was made in Covina, CA.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Recently inherited this from my grandfather. Hes had it for years and I have no idea where he got it, no box no paperwork and his memory is pretty much gone at this point. I cant find anything anywhere about this gun. It has no serial number anywhere that I can find, complete take down and searched every part. All it says is ELK 45. Any AMT guys out there?

Worked at a Colt repair center during the AMT days. Store up front sold them, but we wouldn't work on them. AMT ran real hot and colt on Q/A Q/C.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Interesting price on that one. Wonder if anyone will bid on it. I still see them at gun shows for around $500. Usually they have had parts switched out like the thumb and grip safeties, slide stop, and every now and then the sights. A LGS had a long slide a little over a year ago for about $600 with a different rear sight plus some other changes.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have thought about getting one and having it hard chromed after a reliability package to end galling concerns and to make sure it worked. I'd also like the sharp edges dehorned. The one I had could do double duty as a knife too.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I notice bac1023 has an AMT Hardballer in his guide on this website. He notes a 2015 price in the $500-600 range. His is an early Arcadia pistol with the grooved front of the frame. My 1984 Covina pistol does not have the front of the frame grooved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts