1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently traded for a B prefix Covina stamped AMT Hardballer. the pistol is very tight and machined well, no gotchas, shoots well and really wants to group. i ran AE FMJ and some old heavy hollow points thru it. it devoured them all. but...always a but isn't there...it failed to feed the last round in 3 different magazines. i did not get factory mags as they went missing long before the fellow i got it from. i'm suspecting the magazines cause the FTF the last round and will order a Wilson Combat mag to verify. also it has the factory skeletonized stainless steel grips, while they look good, i don't find them to be very practical, so i'll be looking for some replacement grips, they need to be full length, and really don't like the one piece finger grip type. nice wood or quality aged fake ivory would be my preference. any info, other than ebay, would be appreciated.

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
7,312 Posts
I had a NIB Hardballer Longslide for awhile, an early Arcadia version, never shot it, sold it for a 350% profit on gunbroker. Cool gun.

OP - Post up some pics, I want to see the grips, every AMT Hardballer I've seen came with checkered wood grips.
Your issue sounds like it could be mag springs.

·
7,312 Posts
my camera equipment is packed up for a trip to nebraska for the eclipse, but here is what the grips look like
Interesting grips but not factory original.

I was just in NE last weekend, you won't have any trouble seeing the eclipse there, nothing to get in the way.

Reactions: kellingtonw

·
Banned
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting grips but not factory original.

I was just in NE last weekend, you won't have any trouble seeing the eclipse there, nothing to get in the way.
there are at least 3 examples of Hardballers with those exact grips. who makes that grip? not doubting you, just curious

·
7,312 Posts
This is what the factory grips would have looked like -

·
7,312 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Still have one I bought new in 1984. It is a Covina pistol with a serial number of b24xxx. I paid $199 new for it back then. It had wrap around rubber grips which were quite stinky on it so I took them off and put on a pair of Pachmayr wrap around rubber grips. This last year I found the original grips which are marked Supreme. They have steel (magnetic) inserts in the rubber around the screw holes. They had outgassed so I thought I would put them back on the pistol and take a picture. So this is one that has had no changes to it.

Right now it has some Magpul grips I bought cheap on a sale at someplace like Midway. It is not a bad pistol. Every year or so I dig it out of the safe, lube it, and take it and and shoot it some. Then bring it back, clean it, and store it away. The one original mag that came with it was a 7 round SS one with no markings on it at all. Worked O.K.

·
Banned
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks, that's exactly the info i'm looking for. i traded 600 rounds of 5.56 and 200 rounds of 7.62 for it. as soon as i can get some grips i like and try the Wilson mags i'll be a happy camper with it.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I might have a set of the original wood grips. They are very similar to WC's post, but perhaps a shade lighter in color.

·
Banned
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a NIB Hardballer Longslide for awhile, an early Arcadia version, never shot it, sold it for a 350% profit on gunbroker. Cool gun.

OP - Post up some pics, I want to see the grips, every AMT Hardballer I've seen came with checkered wood grips.
Your issue sounds like it could be mag springs.
i agree on the mag springs being the FTF main suspect. i'll order a couple of Wilson Combat mags today, even if they don't correct the issue they're good mags and won't be a waste of money

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Tagged for later.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had a longslide hardballer way back in the ninetys. the ejecter was welded on I remember. I didn't keep it for long , traded for colt trooper with 4 in barrel a mk 3 I think. it is long gone too .

·
Banned
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i forgot to mention this pistol has a Wilson Combat Blue recoil buffer, is it really needed? i'm wondering if it might be contributing to the last round FTF, but likely it's the magazines

·
7,312 Posts
Lose the buffer. As long as you have the proper rate springs it's just getting in the way.

Reactions: Oldag

·
Banned
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might have a set of the original wood grips. They are very similar to WC's post, but perhaps a shade lighter in color.
tried to leave you some positive feedback but the system won't let me, so i'll thank you here

1 - 20 of 24 Posts