An elderly gentleman politely reminded me today the fun doesn’t have to end when you get old

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eharri3, Sep 20, 2020.

1. eharri3

eharri3 Active Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Me and the wife are headed down the highway returning home from a weekend getaway for our anniversary. I am in my Challenger RT flying along in the middle lane in 6th when a Grand Cherokee SRT comes up in the left lane, probably has the larger 6.4 hemi. About 500 horsepower.

Sounds incredible. He Blips the throttle and shoots ahead a quarter mile, slows down. Blips the throttle, shoots a head a quarter mile, slows down. I just stay with him cause I love the sound. Like a Nascar exhaust.

Finally my wife points out he probably wants to race. I have my fun here and there but I never take that bait, too much at stake to risk a reckless driving arrest or citation. So I slowly scoot up next to the guy to give him a thumbs up before I let him go, expecting to see a 28 year old kid with his hat on backwards.

And I see what looks like me and my wife in 30 years. They gotta be late 60s or early 70s. Nicely dressed, dude staring straight ahead with a mile wide grin on his face. Clearly loving every minute. Wife staring at us from the passenger seat rolling her eyes at her husband.

Then they were gone again, leaving me and my little 5.7 Hemi in the dust.

Late 60s or 70s, toying with people on the highway in a 500 horsepower hemi powered jeep, giggling your ass off while your wife holds on for dear life.

colrhino, Rizzo, Buck Buck and 36 others like this.
  2. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Love it! If I had something to drive like this I'd be doing the same thing.

Dub, eharri3 and Colorado Sonny like this.

3. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
  4. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    I’m 72 and resent being called an “elderly gentleman”.....not old and don’t plan on being old for a long time. You’ll understand my response when you’re an “older gentleman“. Actually.....rather insulting.

Rizzo, GaryH, Pilot Rich and 8 others like this.
  5. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Yep! Yesterday was our annual driving car show up and down our main drag (about 5 miles each way) and all the old guys brought out their hot rods!!
    The entire 5 miles is complete covered in burn out marks from one end to the other! Looks like the road was sealed for winter :happy::happy::happy:
    People set up grills, lawn chairs and park all along the parking spaces to enjoy the show and it lasts for about 5-6 hrs!! It’s freakin amazing to see, lots of “old” guys using their cars the way the we’re meant to be used!

Rizzo, A34, 1L26 and 7 others like this.
  6. Ohio

Ohio I like this place !

Mar 22, 2018
    Not “old”......well aged! Dam young whipper snappers.

colrhino, Rizzo, wrmiller and 5 others like this.
  7. Nick Rice

Nick Rice Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2017
    My cousin who is 72 now has a 488 Ferrari and his daily is a Jeep Trackhawk which puts out 707hp. I'm in my 60s now, yep I said it, hehee. For me keeping young when you get older is not acting like your old but by never growing up and still think like a teenager. Ok, not pushing it that far and sure your health is everything. I grew around fast cars my whole life, drag raced a 10 second 66 Nova for 20 yrs. Still have a 4 spd 66 Gto and chasing after another 64-6 Sting Ray. I'm more into muscle cars, not as fast as the new stuff but to me you feel it more. Between all of the car culture in down state Michigan and Snowmobiling the forrests in the U.P. winter I'm enjoying growing up. Screenshot_20200815-181059.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

colrhino, Rizzo, Dub and 13 others like this.
  8. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Be on the lookout! I'm 65 and it could be ME seeing what ya brung? I'll be in the 5.7 HEMI Aspen. Aspen Hemi.jpg

Rizzo, Dub and Mike Meints like this.
  9. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    5.7? How many is that in 0.060-overbored 454?!?? Us old guys don't do metric!

(the young whippersnapper is my grandson, who harbored hopes of drivin' my toy....NOT!!

Jacob Christmas 2019.jpg Engine2.jpg

Rizzo, Mongoose, GaryH and 8 others like this.
  10. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    The pic is your GTO, no?

Rizzo and Nick Rice like this.
  11. 2sharp2

2sharp2 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2016

It took awhile but I guess some of us old guys do some metric.

A .060 over 454ci comes out to 466.9/467ci so 467ci = 7.653 Liters

1L26 and 1911fanatic like this.
  12. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Not me - that's what grandson's are for!!

Uncle Bob likes this.
  13. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    My 72 year old dad just bought a Harley V-Rod that is all tuned up for drag racing.
    It's his daily driver and he still gives it a work out...

Rizzo, Dub, Cimarronkid and 3 others like this.
  14. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
  15. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 22, 2017
    Friend of mine in SoCal is one year older than me and has one of the few Shelby racing school GT 350s he restored. They go up to Willow Springs twice a year for Shelby track days. Teaches the kids in the new ones, they're not that hot! :)

Even a few of the original Shelby guys still run.

Rizzo, Mongoose, Dub and 1 other person like this.
  16. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Micky Thompson valve covers? Haven't seen those in Eons! ;)

1911fanatic and wrmiller like this.
  17. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Nice, triple duces..

Uncle Bob likes this.
  18. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Friend of mine in high school had a 64 with the triple deuces. Trying to remember what they were called at the time.

Nick Rice likes this.
  19. BLRGSD

BLRGSD Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Triple deuce was called a six pack

20. Jersey James

Jersey James Active Member

Aug 8, 2018
    At almost 72 years old, I very much enjoy " cutting loose" one of my S&S big inch motor choppers. Never too old, to enjoy lots of power between your legs...

Dub, Cimarronkid, KTXdm9 and 2 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted