An interesting and LONG read on the details of Remington's bankruptcy

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ZoidMeister, May 3, 2019.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  2. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    A long read but bottom line sounds like a greedy investment group got their foot in the door of Remington and milked it dry over the years. Happens often in the financial world I guess.

UBOATDOC, Journeyman1234 and Hunt5877 like this.

3. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Decades of continually eroding standards has as much to do with their downfall as the economics.

Hunt5877 likes this.
  4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Yep,....big business simply out for themselves.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Earliest I can remember was Lorenzo and Eastern Airlines. Same MO. My father-in-law worked for Eastern for 35 years and retired from there. The collapse affected his pension.

It would be easy to assume that Remington failed because they didn't keep up with consumers changing demands. That article sure casts a different light on things . . . . .

One never gets "The Story Behind The Story" very often. Eroding standards surely didn't help. Looks like Colt is on this joy ride as well.

6. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    No doubt Zoid, the trend is there for both Colt and Remington, and it pains me to say it as both were once magnificent companies. The end of the Ilion Plant is sadly just a matter of time.

7. Hunt5877

Hunt5877 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 27, 2019
    It's a shame, there was a time when a model 700 and an 870 were widely regarded as bullet proof but you hear people who have purchased in the last 5-7 years who have had nothing but problems. Big difference between good and good enough, glad both mine are 20 years old. Still one of my favorite rifles is a BDL SS DM in 7mm. Sad to see the decline at Big Green.

8. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    More commonplace than one would think, I suspect.....

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Remington isn’t the only company that Cerberus wrecked.
    Bushmaster used to be rather decent.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    This type of "financial leveraging" is way too common in all kinds of business - large & small all over the country ...sadly.

There is a general lack of responsibility in most companies toward employees & communities that supported them ... and the tax laws continue to allow this short term focus to prevail. Its sad ...but its not changing anytime soon...

11. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I'm afraid DW might be headed down that same trail of doom. Can't believe the Valor and Valkyrie were discontinued and the likes of the ECP and TCP added and at several hundred dollars more.

About 10% of the top dogs at DW/CZ need to get the ole AXE and be replaced with some people with good common sense. Maybe spearhead the program with ZOID & TAC leading the way. I hope it's not the plans of CZ to drive DW under.

Jim - BCD 45

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted