1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a big day. Most folks won't be interested but I'm happy about it so I thought I'd post it.

Pistol Annie taught her first official NRA course today. She's been working up to this for about a year - doing short courses, teaching friends, taking more courses on her own, practicing her skills regularly. And today she got to put it all together for a young man in Georgia who is going to get a CCL in Maine (he's too young to get a CCL in GA.)

He turned out to be a great student, had been shooting with his dad since he was very young, had good basic knowledge and passed the test with a score of 98. Then they went to the range, where he was a little nervous and shooting with a .380 that was consistently left. Annie put him on one of her .22LR guns and soon he was successfully shooting his qualification.

Father and son were quite proud to get the certificate. Annie got her first real class under her belt and another safely trained young person is on the road to responsible firearms ownership.

All in all a very good day.

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Annie's focus is teaching the ladies to shoot. She's been a highly-regarded trainer in a different subject for years, and she's put a lot of effort into being sure she's a good firearms instructor. Even though there is a lot of progress being made, neither she nor I see a woman by herself at the gun range very often. It's men 85% of the time. Maybe 10% or 12% ladies accompanied by a man or men.

So I suggested she get a special set of cards made that say "Let me teach your wife to shoot." I can say from experience that few things match the satisfaction of spending a day at the range running through defensive and marksmanship drills with an SO who is eager, safe and capable.

We watch each other, help each other, and because of her I have made so much progress in six months that I have trouble believing it sometimes. Nothing can truly substitute for the years of experience I lack, but I'm off to a really good start. And at my age I don't have time to waste.

I wish everyone could have that experience.

·
Cogito ergo armatus sum
1,934 Posts
That's awesome! I'm glad her first class went well! And you're absolutely right, I have never saw a lone lady, or group of just ladies, at the range before. Every woman I have seen there has been accompanied with a man.

A local outfit offers "ladies only" CWP (concealed weapons permit as South Carolina calls them) classes and my mother and sister took it together. A lot of the women I've spoken with have said they'd really like a class taught for them by women.

I recently read that women and minorities are making up the bulk of new gun purchases, so I'm sure your dear Annie will have the opportunity to help a lot of women on their journey to becoming proficient with their weapons!

Thanks for sharing your/her news with us, it was a joy to read.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Excellent TWF. Annie sounds like a real keeper. I too would be proud. In addition to handing out the cards, maybe she could also say "Next time bring the Mrs with you".

Everything i have read or heard was that men typically are more difficult to teach because theres so much ego involved. Whereas woman tend to listen to direction more closely (my wife excluded). So if Annie can teach a man, the rest is easy peazy.

Congratulations to Both Annie and you and thanks for sharing.

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Annie said it was ok for me to post this. And she said you'll have to forgive her for not exercising good trigger discipline - she was only five.

cowgirl.jpg

·
VFW - Life Member
1,082 Posts
Is Annie involved with the well armed women, it's a national organization (chapters everywhere), it's for women, run by women, everything in this org is by women. (https://thewellarmedwoman.com/)? Everything they teach, they have range time. This org starts from what's a gun to competition shooters.

How do I know this? I belong to the NFOA (Nebraska Firearms Owners Association) and a board members wife is really involved it her Chapter. So I spread the word every chance I get.

·
I do not consent.
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, @Mr. B. I know she is aware of it. There have been several chapters in the greater ATL that have started/closed in quick succession. I think there are still a couple of active chapters.

Because of your post I have suggested to Annie that she contact Carrie Lightfoot and see how others are combining The Well Armed Woman with a budding firearms training practice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts