1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a hat tip to @Gripwright for getting the two of us over to the The Lodge at Lake Guntersville State Park. Amazing, awesome scenery. "Thank you" to you and your lovely wife for breakfast. We both enjoyed it and hope to return the favor on our next trip.

Here's a couple of pics of Annie training with one of the most humble, outright badasses on the planet. This was the ~40 yd exercise. We were shooting at that little torso in the middle of the picture in front of the berm.
IMG_20180530_114425266.jpg

IMG_20180530_114453317_HDR.jpg

And these pics are from the deck at The Lodge. My phone camera is pretty poor, and the air was hazy, so these pics do not do justice to the Alabama scenery. It is just awesome.

IMG_20180531_093657886_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20180531_093657886_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180531_093706680_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180531_093716977_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180531_093725850_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180531_093732727_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180531_093803802_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180531_094101075.jpg

A final word - you ain't seen 'Merica until you've seen NE Alabama. It's amazing.

·
Registered
535 Posts
First a hat tip to @Gripwright for getting the two of us over to the The Lodge at Lake Guntersville State Park. Amazing, awesome scenery. "Thank you" to you and your lovely wife for breakfast. We both enjoyed it and hope to return the favor on our next trip.
The pleasure was ours, it was great to meet you guys. Hope to see you again soon. Towards that end, here's a link to the fall foliage paddle wheel steamboat cruise we mentioned. It makes me want to sign on!
https://www.americanqueensteamboatc...ohio-tennessee-rivers/memphis-to-chattanooga/

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is beautiful in the northern and northeastern part. At the beginning of the Appalachian mountains which begin there and go to Maine.

Everything between Guntersville and the beaches of the Gulf is snakes, mosquitos, 75 degree dewpoints, and section 8 housing. So you were in the best area outside of Mobile Bay.
Raylan,

I must agree. As a lifelong (so far...) resident of East Central Alabama, Your statement regarding everything south of Guntersville is absolutely correct.

My wife and I are retiring in December, and have already contracted building a home in Huntsville (Owens Cross Roads).

It seems as if, once you get north of Birmingham, to quote Dorothy, "...We're not in Kansas, anymore, Toto..."

Beautiful country, and very nice folks, too. Certainly not what I'm currently used to.

I can't tell you guys how much I'm looking forward to the move.

·
I do not consent.
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, Lower Alabama reminds me of Florida. I listened to a series of podcasts on the draining of Florida and the Everglades and the description of it by someone back in the 1800s was decidedly uncomplimentary...

·
Never Forget
8,984 Posts
Raylan,

I must agree. As a lifelong (so far...) resident of East Central Alabama, Your statement regarding everything south of Guntersville is absolutely correct.

My wife and I are retiring in December, and have already contracted building a home in Huntsville (Owens Cross Roads).

It seems as if, once you get north of Birmingham, to quote Dorothy, "...We're not in Kansas, anymore, Toto..."

Beautiful country, and very nice folks, too. Certainly not what I'm currently used to.

I can't tell you guys how much I'm looking forward to the move.
Congratulations. 431 from Mountainboro to Huntsville is great. I always enjoyed 35 from Fort Payne to Scottsboro, 117 from I-59 to Stevenson, and even 72 and Alt 72 to Florence then back down 101 across Wheeler Dam. Best parts of the region.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the congratulations.

Given my current rickety state of health, I just hope I make it...

Stay safe.

·
Registered
535 Posts
It may be a bit early, but welcome to the area. OXR is a great location. Huntsville is on track to be the largest city in the state in about 5 years, so you'll be in the country but close to everything you need. Give me a shout when you're in the area and we'll get together.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Roger that, Grip.

Thanks for the invite. Will do.

RP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts