1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Makes **** Move
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically open the forum to the "home" page and chat a little in between reading the updated posts. There are times that I'll spend time reading an entire string of posts for a considerable amount of time. Other times I'll leave a post open while I get caught up in other things. By the time I get back to the "home" screen all the previously new posts have been marked as read. This isn't a huge deal but can be a big PITA when I'm trying to get caught up on things. Others voiced they found this to be real annoying as well.

We also discussed the occaisional freeze of the chat window.

Is there anything that can be done about these issues or must we learn to live [read: keep living] with them.

Keep up the good work fellas!

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
the chat window freezing is due to in-activity (on your part) after 5mins and will log you out.
I just changed the time to 15mins.

I'll have to look at the other issue.

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
just looked at the threads being marked "read"

i'll let Trent decide on which path to choose, but by default it's cookie based.

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.
Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
i just changed the "timeout" option from 900 secs (15min) to 1800secs (30min), so that should give you more time until the threads are marked "read". let me know if this works.

·
Makes **** Move
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is this the same inactivity parameter as used for chat?

I just realized that if you tell me the answer to this I'll never use the knowledge in anyway. But I'm still curious.

·
it's mmm, mmm good...
7,140 Posts
nope, different.

i upped the Chat to 15mins (from 5min) and the forum to 30min (from 15min.)

·
Registered
235 Posts
For me the most annoying thing is the chat window scrolling itself up automatically when there is a picture posted. It scrolls up to the picture every time it refreshes after that and won't stop until there has been enough dialog to move the picture off the screen. Also the automatic scrolling down to the newest thing said when you're trying to read previous comments is pretty annoying. Basically, the auto scrolling in the chat window is a PITA in general.

·
Makes **** Move
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd agree with that. For me it is the issue of scrolling down to the newest thing typed in chat when I'm trying to read the older lines. I've never experienced the chat window scrolling up to a picture.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
The chat has a few issues some times in certain browsers. It is a add-on mod made by a independent developer. It isn't actually made by VBulletin, so there are a few bugs from time to time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts