1911 Firearm Addicts banner

Another 3" s&w 65-5 magnaported and hammer bobbed

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Au Jus in Bello 
#1 ·
Came across this and went for it. Second odd duck 3" 357 S&W I've come across the past month.

3" 65-5 with magnaport and bobbed hammer.

I'm guessing someone had it done, but maybe it was a special run?

It has a great double action trigger and the single action is pure joy.

Either way, I can't wait to take it out. Could end up being a pretty sweet carry piece.

Can anyone educate me?

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

See less See more
#6 ·
Curious as to how one would "single action" a bobbed hammer such as that?
When shooting revolvers (for 20+ years) in competition, PPC, Precision Pistol and Action Pistol games I shoot all double action. It's a matter of educating your trigger finger. During the press I'm steering the front sight. Sometimes even stopping to finalize the POA.

I have shot several match series with both Revolver and Semi-Auto of 10 matches or more. My average for both were very similar!

Train, Practice, Train, Practice and repeat,

Smiles,

#8 ·
You will have less problem cocking for single action if you start the hammer back with the trigger then put your thumb over the top of the hammer...
Yes -- trouble is if the revolver's loaded that method flirts with an ND; doubly so if you have to de-cock it. Not advised.

This is why S&W factory bobbed hammers don't have a single action notch.

#9 ·
I had and carried a 3" 65 similar to yours (sans porting). They are very nice guns.
My input is; don't use hot 125 JHP .357's and use double ear protection indoors.

My recollection was the fireball and recoil of those loads bordered on insanity.
I settled on the more sedate 158 JHPs.

Add: mine was DOA, single action was removed.

#11 ·
That's a mader'
Shop made gun, looks nicely done.
As stated above should be a great carry gun and fun range gun with lighter 38 loads.
Some of my favorites over the years have been 3" smiths

Reactions: blamo
#13 ·
You pinch the firing pin between the thumb and index finger of your weak hand pull trigger and lower hammer then ease weak hand fingers out.
Very few competitors shot the long line at the ‘60’s and 70’s PPC course double action back then.
Occasionally it was a bit tricky in the heat and humidity of Jackson, Ms at the National Championship but I don’t remember anyone ever having a hammer get away from them.

#16 ·
Appreciate the comments and knowledge you all are sharing.

I've had it to the range twice and it's been a joy to shoot. Put a few .357 158s through it and some .38 +p and it's not so bad. Looking forward to getting better and experiementing more.

Got my eye out for a used Milt Sparks IWB holster for it now. Fingers crossed.

Have some Eagle Secret Service grips on order for it as well.

#17 ·
Since a dubious suggestion is being reiterated, I'm going to say again:

Staging the trigger on a loaded double action revolver for the administrative purpose of cocking or de-cocking a bobbed hammer is asking for a negligent discharge. Do not do it.

Most outdated firearm handling methods are outdated for a good reason, particularly when it comes to safety procedures. This one violates one of the four cardinal rules of safe gun handling and is to be avoided save for the most extreme of necessities.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.