1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When cleaning magazines which may or may not be necessary I am planning on dumping all 30 still assembled in a sonic cleaner.
I will dry them with compressed air at my garage.

My questions:
1. Do they need some lubing or Balistol type protection?
2. Can I do that with a lube product in the sonic?
3. If I can lube with the sonic when they come out do I wipe them off or assemble as they are?
4. Is it the same for gun parts?

Thanks.
P.S. If there is a better way or thread to ask this question please let me lnow.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Most mag tubes are made of stainless and shouldn't need lube for protection. If the mags are dropped on the ground between mag changes the lube attracts dirt inside the tube. If you catch the mag in your hand a drop of lube on the follower won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Last time I cleaned my 1911 mags, I used a light film of wd40 on the inside as a cleaner. wiped them out completely and reassembled..I don't think its a good idea to leave lube inside the mag.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Unless I'm in the Sahara during a sirocco, I very lightly lube the magazine interior, spring, follower. Very, very, lightly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You're going to dump 30 guns in a container of sonic cleaner?
Keeping them assembled would be much better than taking them all apart.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just pull a rag through the tube, wipe off the parts and reassemble. There is a small amoumt of oil on rag leaving just a skim coat for protection.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with not oiling, that just attracts dirt. especially inside the mag tube. I will sometimes lightly oil the outside and then wipe it nearly completely away just to help keep rust down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts