1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I like that you offer the high polish DLC as a finish option...

Did the polishing company purposely do a melt job for carry purposes or is that just the way it came out due to the polish? (Not being a ****).

Either way, haven’t seen this type of thing on a P series Sig before.
Well @River Rat would have to answer that as the gun was done prior to me receiving it.. So I'm not actually certain if it was purposely done that way or not. I do know I don't personally offer the machined buffed high polish because of that reason, I don't personally like losing the detail of the lines. Softened is one thing but, melted as they say I don't particularly care for much.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great job! Any idea if that would work on an aluminum frame?
I personally wouldn't do aluminum in a high polish like that. The substrate being so much softer it would be more prone to damage.. And Fwoo45 was right to a degree, it's not however that it won't adhere as that it doesn't hold up as well on aluminum. I have heard of some double coating using a particular method and having a bit more luck. But, you'd have to reach out to Evolution Armory and discuss that option with them..

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well @River Rat would have to answer that as the gun was done prior to me receiving it.. So I'm not actually certain if it was purposely done that way or not. I do know I don't personally offer the machined buffed high polish because of that reason, I don't personally like losing the detail of the lines. Softened is one thing but, melted as they say I don't particularly care for much.
That is a stock 220, no melting done. The polishing did not significantly
alter the lines of the pistol in my opinion. I think if you compared mine and a no polish they'd look much the same. Possibly mine is softened a little. Patriot has some other 220's shown on his website you can check. I think the lighting and shadows on the pics of mine here may give an appearance of more severe softening of lines than actually exist.

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,649 Posts
That is a stock 220, no melting done. The polishing did not significantly
alter the lines of the pistol in my opinion. I think if you compared mine and a no polish they'd look much the same. Possibly mine is softened a little. Patriot has some other 220's shown on his website you can check. I think the lighting and shadows on the pics of mine here may give an appearance of more severe softening of lines than actually exist.
Very easily could be my eye has been looking at 1911's for so long that softened lines just stick out to me. Either way cool project:)

Let us know how it wears!! I know my High Polished DLC gun has held up nicely over the last 6 or so years.

Cheers!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Very easily could be my eye has been looking at 1911's for so long that softened lines just stick out to me. Either way cool project:)

Let us know how it wears!! I know my High Polished DLC gun has held up nicely over the last 6 or so years.

Cheers!
Thanks. I'm convinced it will be a tough finish. As for the fingerprints and smudges, a soft cloth should take care of them.

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,649 Posts
Thanks. I'm convinced it will be a tough finish. As for the fingerprints and smudges, a soft cloth should take care of them.
Keeping it clean and smudge free is not going to be easy... but yes, a soft cloth and wiping it down will fix that right up:)!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts