Another Indoor Range Day

Discussion in 'Range Trips & Reviews' started by DanMcinPA, Feb 1, 2019.

1. DanMcinPA

DanMcinPA Active Member

Dec 31, 2018
    View attachment 211839 A85F0359-56F1-4E44-A40E-EF3099852554.jpeg 73B7C9D2-6C94-4CC5-B330-2D606705DCCB.jpeg 5741C689-3BB7-4DC9-9858-F5EF9163A62F.jpeg View attachment 211847 Record cold, non-stop snow, slick roads -- of course I venture out to the local pay-as-you-go indoor with a few hundred rounds of .45 and 9mm.

Plus, I wanted to test some new reloads (Hornady HAP over 4.5gr HP-38) and do some rapid fire (no jacketed or rapid fire permitted at local club).

I brought the M&P 2.0 5" 9mm, the Sig 229 9mm, the SA RO 5" .45 ACP, and the SA RO Champion Elite .45 ACP.

I decided to shoot all my loaded .45 ammo first, then switch to the 9mm (it's been a while since I've shot them since falling for the .45)

I started off with a warmup set at 5 yards freestyle, then right handed and left handed. Groups were one large hole. I moved out to 7, then 10, then 15 yards and kept the groups tight. The SA Range Officer 5" has a slightly lighter trigger. I need to have some work done on the RO Champion to get it close. But the Champ has a fiber optic sight, which makes acquisition so easy. So the guns shoot about even for me.

Then to the 9mm, and really, the trigger on the M&P is ... well... it's not a SA 1911. It took a few rounds to figure out where it broke (again). Once I got it shooting was fine. I practiced rapid fire at 5, 7, and 10 yards. Groups opened up a bit at 10 yards but all shots were within the paper plates or 6" stickers (or less).

Then back to .45 to practice rapid fire. I was able to get splits down to 0.33, but no faster (I haven't done much rapid fire with the 1911 yet!).

The problem with rapid fire is the ammo I carried in somehow disappeared. I was weighed down walking in. Not so much checking out!

Shooting is fun, relaxing, and I feel like I learn something every time I shoot. I've had other hobbies that were similar, that you never really "master" -- you get better but your standards rise.

As we age it's easy to lean on the stuff we're already "mastered." It's "natural," but it's not good.

Rather, we should continually learn, test ourselves with new challenges, keep growing, and expect more from our talents and abilities.

It makes a cold, grey, snowy day a bit more enjoyable!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    xerts1191, gaijin, SparkyAZ and 3 others like this.
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Let me guess You dropped your camera in the parking lot?

SparkyAZ likes this.

3. DanMcinPA

DanMcinPA Active Member

Dec 31, 2018
    LOL!

Nah, downloading and will post shortly.

Raylan Givens likes this.
  4. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Much better.... Looks like fun ..

DanMcinPA likes this.
  5. 4runnerteq

4runnerteq Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Cool. Our indoor range is just 5 mins from the house. I try to go at least once a week. Only run 50 or 100 rounds but still a good time.

DanMcinPA likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted