Another lube thread...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by bigbob76, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bigbob76

bigbob76 Not so big Bob these days Supporting Addict

Jul 3, 2012
    After several years of bi-annual recertification seminars for my aircraft inspection certification (A&P I.A.) I can say I'm still in the dark. I've listened to hours of information and asked quite a few questions and still don't know much more than I did before. Every representative from the different lubricant suppliers said their product was far and away the best, lol. Now online there is no shortage of self-proclaimed expert that tell you what is the best lubrication for a firearm. I won't argue with any of them because I'm not qualified and I also think I'm to the point where I don't care. I almost tripped over this 10 years supply of my favorite lubricant in the garage so I thought I would post a picture. I have it on hand because my Corvette calls for Mobil 1 so that seals the deal for me I'm a multipurpose kind a guy.

Attached Files:

2. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    I'm old school. One size fits all, multipurpose, or universal fit makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck after having had to deal with these marvels. My expectation of a lube is simple. That my gun is still wet when I get done shooting it.

blitz45, EXFI, bigbob76 and 3 others like this.

3. Bro. Pappaw

Bro. Pappaw Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Now I want some skunk oil.

4. dav2no1

dav2no1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2016
    I like EWL Slip2000. I use it on all my guns and works great for the Dan Wesson duty finish. And i use full synthetic in my 64' C-10 w/383 stroker. Good stuff! Probably the same stuff...and EWL also comes in a handy quick wipe.

https://www.slip2000.com/slip2000_products.php

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  5. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    my favorite topic ;)

in 1911s I mix usually a few drops of any of these( I use 2 lubes at a time)
    slip 2000, wilson ultima, super lube, fp 10, mpro 7, gojuice . I like the roller bearings feel to a slide when moved and my guns never fail due to lack of lube( 6 drop method is used to lube the guns)

for non 1911s-- mobil1, mill comm mc 2500 or lucas gun oil--again I mix 6 drops total of 2 different lubes
    in the end, if it lubes and keeps the guns running, any decent oil is fine. I avoid really thin oils, they move and are not there when you need them (JMHO)

6. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Slicker Then Owl **** is well the ****.
    IMG_6725.PNG

7. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    I use clp on non-1911 pistols. Very light coating on weapon shield or slide glide grease on garand, little lucas with slide glide on 1911. I use very little oil on the plastic guns. Only lube 2 key points on those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbob76 likes this.
  8. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

Mar 10, 2017
    I've been using this for years.
    [​IMG]

bigbob76 likes this.
  9. sellersm

sellersm Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2014
    I use a variety: Weapon Shield, Lubri-Kit (based on Lubriplate), ALG Defense products, Lucas oil products... My favorite is Weapon Shield. The ALG Defense 0000 grease is awesome!

boatdoc and bigbob76 like this.
  10. 1911fanatic

1911fanatic Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Astro glide!!! Somebody had to go there!!!

11. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    For some things I prefer Astro Glide...

My sweetie doesn't care for the smell of Ballistol.

1911fanatic likes this.
  12. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I use Tetra grease on the rails, Breakfree CLP elsewhere. Also the Tetra on the hinge pins on Citori shotguns. So far it works great. I tried Mobil 1 and it seemed to disappear, it was 0-20wt or whatever Honda calls for, maybe it was too light. I went back to the Breakfree.
    Whatever works for you I guess.

boatdoc likes this.
  13. upland1911

upland1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2014
    This past monday I attended a a GunsSaveLife meeting and Bill Ogelsby( local smith, single action shooter) did a tech talk on 1911s. His shops lube of choice is turbine oil. Says it is so finely refined, temp resistant and moves contaminants out well. There was some on a couple of the demo pieces he passed around and was very clear and thin but seemed to stay in place fairly well.

Mike Meints likes this.
  14. Sapper

Sapper Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 25, 2014
    I don't think it matters as long as there is lube on the gun. I have even used gear oil in the past. How much difference can there actually be?

15. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 31, 2016
    Enterprising types like to extract money from fools so that's why some magic "gun lubes" cost 15 bucks for a tiny bottle.

Sapper likes this.
  16. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I'm sure there are many machinist on this forum and I'm curious what they think about using Machine Tool Way Oil as a gun oil. I have access to this at $15.00 per gallon and I'm thinking it may work really well. It has a surfactant that makes it cling to the surface. Not sure if this would attract dirt and debris. Below is a description. Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  17. Avenger1

Avenger1 Regular Forces

Dec 23, 2015
    This is the only lubricant authorized for the M1911...

upload_2017-11-10_13-32-40.jpeg

ditto1958 likes this.
  18. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    I was of the opinion that gun oil was gun oil. I cruise different websites always looking for good info on 1911'a and AR rifles. At one of the sights I check out regularly, this place in Vegas has a shooting range that use an ungodly amount of ammo a month, and many firearms with over 100,000 rounds thru them. His choice for grease was TC25B. No measurable wear on slide rails. He has no income from selling the stuff. Just said what works for his gunsmiths at the gun range. After purchasing some, I can notice a measurable decrease in friction when racking a pistol by hand. Use it in my carry pistols, and it stays put. I disassemble and re-oil the internals once a month. Slide is good to go. An interesting note is the fact that I Bought a new EMP and used this grease from the beginning. In 250 rounds, there is not even a hint of wear on the rails. Non of the finish is even scratched at the wear points.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted