Another No-Dash 66!

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Olympus, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Olympus

Olympus Grip Maker and FFL Dealer

Oct 7, 2011
    I sat up at a gun show yesterday, kind of last minute and ended up getting a table next to an old friend. He helped me get my start with grip making and bought six or seven sets from me back when they were selling for $35 a piece :oops:. Anyway, I noticed he had a little 2.5" S&W Model 66. I have a huge affinity for those guns and asked him about it. He said it was an old police detective's gun from Memphis Police Department and it had MPD and the badge number stamped on the left side. PD revolvers have a cult following and I'd never seen a 2.5" 66 used as a PD gun before so I took a look at it. I dropped the crane to see what version it was and couldn't believe it was a no-dash 66. I got the good buddy discount and picked up the little jewel for $500 cash since my buddy isn't a dealer. I got it home and took the Uncle Mike's rubber grips off and swapped them for some cocobolo Ahrend's that I had laying around. I took the gun apart and give it a thorough cleaning. I also got out the Flitz and polished up nicely. It was very dirty and I couldn't believe how nice it came out. The gun has very little wear and looks like it was hardly ever shot. So now I'm the happy owner of ANOTHER no-dash Model 66. Here are some photos of the new gun and also some photos with my other no-dash 66. I absolutely LOVE no-dash 66s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    The KCI show? The one you told me you wouldn't be at? tsk tsk tsk.
    Nice find. Looks lovely.

3. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    Hey I'm sorry John. It was kind of last minute. I called RK on Thursday of last week and asked if they had any open tables and if I could just do one day since I had plans on Sunday. They said it was no problem so I sat up for the day. It was all thrown together at the last minute.

4. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    I was joking, Adam. I couldn't have made it to the show anyway. Glad you found that pistol though. Looks great.

5. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    $500 - you got raped - lol...[​IMG] You know I'm kidding right? I better watch my humor some are taking offense - oh well...!!! LOL - don't want to get banned from the place everybody comes to that have been banned - wow - how bad is that - lol...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    Beautiful guns sir!

7. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Looks good! You're right, it sure did clean up nicely. :thumb:

Nice grab.

Andy

8. Earlsbud

Earlsbud Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 28, 2011
    I love K frame .357's and that's one of the nicest I could imagine. Good for you!

9. c.helm

c.helm Active Member

Sep 7, 2011
    All those 66's are going up in price! I've had several and always made a few bucks when selling. I have a buddy that has the 3 different barrel lenghts of them (2.5 4 and 6 all no dash) and now he is working on the "-1" sets.
    I was big in the Smith collecting for several years the N frame 27's and pre 27's were my favorites. All have been sold off now to fund Baer 1911's or my Hot Tub!

Enjoy that 66 they are some fine shooters!

10. Olympus

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks everyone. The gun on the bottom was a gift from my father in law who bought it new. It's the gun my wife learned to shoot on growing up. It's also the gun that was stolen from our home in a burglary Christmas before last. Then last summer my FIL unknowingly bought that gun back from another dealer. As soon as I saw it, I recognized it, called the police and confirmed the S/N as the one I reported stolen. I got my stolen gun back and the guy that broke into my house got picked up for burglary and charged for possession of a firearm since he was already a convicted felon. So the no-dash 66 has a lot of sentimental meaning to me.

11. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Very nice gun................

12. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    Love my k-frame 66 too
    [​IMG]

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted