1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a little while ago I did a small project for a realtor a good friend referred me to. Today he called and asked if I'd be interested in being paid with a SA RO Elite Compact 9mm new in the box. He's a casual shooter, our mutual friend like myself prefers 1911s so after the two of them talked things over he ordered this pistol.

Well he really likes his S&W M&P, has a couple of Smith revolvers as well. Never really has warmed to the 1911 manual of arms. What he owes me is just a little under what the SA goes for. Hmm, so right now I'm waiting on the Ronin to arrive as well as a mildly customized S&W 64 (wait until you guys see that LOL-I couldn't pass it up). Both should show up next week.

I've had a RO Elite Compact 9 before and it was flawless. I'm really tempted, he even offered to include the ffl fee (here in Colorado ftf sales require background/nics since 7/2013). His cash flow is on the low side so he's hoping I accept it.

Hmm, decision decisions. I'll let you know.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
10,426 Posts
You want a little Push? lmbo... I am nearly always willing to accept payment in guns.. Normally, I would expect the trade value to outweigh the value in cash. However, given the times and the current circumstances, everything is a bit off kilter, so hey it is kind of a no lose situation for the both, that is if you can make due with out the extra funds ;)

·
Max Otto von Stierlitz
2,577 Posts
My BIL informed me last year, upon his father’s passing, he inherited a 1943 Mauser-made P-38 his father had taken off a surrendering Nazi officer. (I researched it a little for him since I didn’t know much about German Lugers). It has all matching serial numbers, half dozen rounds 1943 ammo, with the holster and belt & swastika emblems still intact.

This gun has survived seventy-seven years. This gun is a 9mm Parabellum and is in very good shape and all metal (except for its Bakelite grips).

What’s this got to do with Doc’s posting?

All my 9mm Parabellum pistols are plastic (ok, ok... polymer). Don’t get me wrong; I do have metal pistols (just not in 9mm Parabellum). I’m about to fix that. So I’m going to at least have a couple of 9mm caliber all metal pistols to hand down to my son and grandson. I’m figuring the 9mm Parabellum is going to be around, just about forever. And Doc is to blame for that too! He’s got me looking seriously at a SA Ronin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently got a RO Elite Compact 9mm and really like it! I even like the grayish G10 grips that I wasn’t really sure I would. I’ve got 600 rounds through it so far with zero issues...it’s a keeper.

The only thing is that I’ve had to learn to install the fiber optic rod replacement in the front sight. I’ve already launched two of them, but I think I have it down pat now.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
you guys got lucky. My SA RO Elite Compact in 9mm is back at SA for the third time. The slide stop won't work. Does not lock back. I am sure its an easy fix, but they need to fix it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
yep, but funny thing, I had the same issue on another SA RO Elite Champion in 45. I fixed that one myself. And I gotta tell ya, their customer service is quite rude nowadays. Won't be purchasing anything SA again, but they are great guns when they work right.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
yep, but funny thing, I had the same issue on another SA RO Elite Champion in 45. I fixed that one myself. And I gotta tell ya, their customer service is quite rude nowadays. Won't be purchasing anything SA again, but they are great guns when they work right.
You seem to have bad luck with them, so maybe it's for the better to move on. I don't, but then Bob Reese was a gem to work with, Dennis, isn't, but I do have his email address. I go get to yak with the people there if I need to.

Me and M1As and M14s go way back before Geneseo got started making M1As. I know where some of the bodies are buried! ;)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just picked it up, heading to the range tomorrow. This thing is very very tight, no signs of anything amiss at all unlike the Ronin. Picked up a couple Wilson mags so now I've got 4, loaded with some Winchester 115gr fmj for now and I've got some "extra" Gold Dot 124+P that I can also run as it's my preferred sd load. Range report tomorrow.

Shown with my new Sparks SSII for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts