Another SIG P320 goes bang when it shouldn't

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by B81, Sep 12, 2019.

1. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    isialk likes this.
  2. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Everyone should feel safe knowing SIG is also now the sidearm of the military.
    Screenshot_20190912-174716_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    simonp, 45caldude, 45ACP_ray and 14 others like this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I can't help but think of all those tacticool guys carrying these things appendix style. Natural Selection at work, I guess.

hpguru, simonp, isialk and 7 others like this.
  4. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    :eek:
    I carry two appendix style!?!:hurting: Looks like I’m gonna need a new pair of...

Kip and cliff58 like this.
  5. danc1996

danc1996 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Good excuse to buy more 1911s... or glocks[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

isialk, Kip, FWoo45 and 4 others like this.
  6. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Only have one Sig and that’s s p210

Steve Owens likes this.
  7. Rana

Rana Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    It is hard to bet against Glock for a mass issue polymer striker service pistol. Their track record alone makes it hard to choose another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. gunn

gunn Active Member

Jul 13, 2019
    I had the upgrade done on mine. I still did not trust it, so I got rid of it.

Rana likes this.
  9. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Having trouble believing anything goes bang all on it's own in holster .

10. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Yes, how does that ^^^ happen?

B81 likes this.
  11. Rana

Rana Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    One word, “Cohen.”

Glanoril and Amp Mangum like this.
  12. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    My thoughts exactly. The problem was drop safety, a problem not unfamiliar to many Glocks with aftermarket triggers, which was addressed, not magically going off by itself.

13. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    :rage:I guess you never play horseshoe roulette!
    upload_2019-9-12_22-56-46.gif

14. ReaperCustom45

ReaperCustom45 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2019
    Yeah, the quote they have in the article is a little curious.
    “Even minor movements of the body, impacts to the holster, a hand being placed on the gun can make this gun fire,” said Bagnell.
    It makes no sense for a gun to fire from simply placing your hand on it...

AJP likes this.
  15. gunn

gunn Active Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Maybe it was a Kydex type holster, locking mechanism went through the triggerguard, was loose and something caused it to shift and fire?

16. Badabing11

Badabing11 I gotta have more cowbell

Sep 6, 2015
    Idk, I went shooting with a friend that brought his 320. We couldn’t make it go bang by pulling the trigger. It had every failure imaginable. Maybe we’d have had better success if we kept it in the holster.

What’s even more frustrating is it had just been returned from Sig to fix the same issues we experienced.

I also have a 226 that over time and maybe 1000 rounds went from a tackdriver to crap. They have obviously adopte the US automaker strategy of fast is better than good. Or they are on a huge cost cutting program.

I’ve seen this movie in my business too. I’m done with sig. They will get worse before they get better. Short term focus is the only focus.

simonp, switchback, isialk and 5 others like this.
  17. Rana

Rana Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    SIGARMS will continue to use the same business model because most of the market will not use their weapons enough to see its failures. For the market that does shoot with frequency they do offer a great service program to keep the weapon operational between warranty service; all the while still turning a great profit.

The fact that a majority of the DOD has went to the 320 (M17) says SIGARMS just may be producing 2 different tiered products(?). I don’t have much experience with the 320 but I am seeing it being phased in places where the Glock was before it. Scary stuff, I can’t help to ask why anyone who carries a weapon as a vocation would dump a tried and true weapon (RE: Glock 19) over an unproven one with a sketchy reputation in the SIG 320 Series.

I am following the 320 with interest and much skepticism. Time will tell if it “shakes out.”

The FED in my opinion is doing it correctly with a majority standardizing on the GEN 5 Glock. My personal experience and heavy use of said pistol have been very positive thus far and I am on track to put 100K+ rounds through one by the end on November. There is some data in that round count that make me favor the Glock as a service pistol.

I can’t say I will do the same with a SIG 320, at least not any time soon. Perhaps when the design is over three decades old like the Glock.

zipper046, switchback and Badabing11 like this.
  18. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    One word, “Cohen.”

Yup. Exactly this ^^^^

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    switchback and Badabing11 like this.
  19. Rana

Rana Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    The stock trigger is the only one I'd run on a Duty Glock, or any duty pistol for that matter. Based on my experience very few things should be aftermarket, The sights being one of course. After putting tens of thousands of rounds through 3x Glocks over the past 10 months I would add a second aftermarket item that I consider a worthwhile "upgrade" which I will cover more in detail in the GEN5 torture test thread.

Amp Mangum likes this.
  20. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    I agree, the point being drop safety is not particularly rare or rocket science, and it is an issue that was appropriately addressed by Sig.

In my experience with the platform, carrying on duty for three years now, I have fought, fallen down, jumped fences, and been in a car crash, all while carrying a P320 with around 10,000 rounds down the pipe, and I have found the gun doesn't go bang unless I pull trigger.

The only concern I have towards the gun in question is if something in the striker assembly failed causing a discharge. Otherwise, it would seem something pulled the trigger, operator or possibly a form fitting leather holster? I don't know, but we shouldn't forget Glocks early track record with negligent discharges "holsters and undisciplined trigger fingers".

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted