1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've previously owned two Guardian's and they were both 9mm; one I sold after being distracted by another shiny coin and the other I gave to my Dad. I finally made up my mind the next one would be a keeper so lets do a 38 super.

When @BCD 45 posted one brand new -- I pulled the trigger.

I'm looking forward to breaking this in and maybe using it as a primary carry piece once I track down some thin grips.

Guardian_1.jpg
Guardian_2.jpg
Guardian_3.jpg
Guardian_4.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,455 Posts
And I'll buy the Amboyna Starburst from you if they're too thick.

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
I favor a 147 GD (the .357 SIG bullets designed for 1200+ FPS) at around 1250fps for a carry load.
Shoots reasonably soft; not as harsh/snappy/blasty as a 125 @ 1450/1500fps.

Nothing wrong with a 10/11 rd .357.
: )

·
What me worry ?
11,102 Posts
Congratulations, great P/U ,I know you’ll love it -very cool.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Great pistol, Congrats! The Guardian was my first in .45. Jim is a great guy to deal with from what I gather on here. One day I'll get his black and silver Nighthawk.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Congrats!!!
I had a .38 sup Guardian and let it go (pic 1).... After :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: until my head was mush, @Dwe sent me some Tylenol and his .38 sup. Guardian (pic 2).... all is right with the world.

IMG_1936 (2).jpg
IMG_3497 (2).jpg

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,063 Posts
Congrats!!!
I had a .38 sup Guardian and let it go (pic 1).... After :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: until my head was mush, @Dwe sent me some Tylenol and his .38 sup. Guardian (pic 2).... all is right with the world.

View attachment 453019 View attachment 453031
Some of you may be thinking I must have flipped when I sent @TheCollector my only 38 Superb Guardian.
And in all seriousness, I would have if he needed it, however it was a duplicate, and I still have my original Superb Guardian.
A857F91F-0F3B-4E1B-A5D5-33CE1C4DD96F.jpeg

86383A6B-129A-4234-A4A7-90F4B0A14D63.jpeg

It’s been by my side for 5 years now and still looks like it did the day I got it!

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,063 Posts
I've previously owned two Guardian's and they were both 9mm; one I sold after being distracted by another shiny coin and the other I gave to my Dad. I finally made up my mind the next one would be a keeper so lets do a 38 super.

When @BCD 45 posted one brand new -- I pulled the trigger.

I'm looking forward to breaking this in and maybe using it as a primary carry piece once I track down some thin grips.

View attachment 452829 View attachment 452831 View attachment 452833 View attachment 452835
Congrats man!
Glad you found one!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Sure is a great looking gun and you’ve already got Addicts ready to throw some beautiful thin grips your way. Sweet deal all around I’d say!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my Cherokee Hills slim bobtail grips from @Mtek and they are perfect, nice, thin and quality is that of what we expect from Bob

0410201843.jpg

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Good looking super!
All the ones in this thread are,
Makes me want to build one!!!

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, SS Heinie and T4 all 45 acp Wilson EDC-X9
5,128 Posts
Not just to jump in on this thread but what mags is everyone who has the DW Guardian running. I'm hoping to pick mine up next week as it will be shipped on Monday to my FFL. The usual Wilson and other names I know appear to be sold out.

·
Banned
2,688 Posts
I have a few DW's, all in 9mm.

While I've shot more rds. from a Super than ANY other pistol (my competition guns we're chambered in .38 Super in the day), I find I shoot 9mm or .45 ACP much more than Super these days.

When I shoot .38 Super, it is nearly always in a Super Comp (rimless case).
The rimless case IS an improvement over the semi rim of the .38 Super case.
The rimless case "stacks" better (more nose up) in a Single Stack mag. That said, I don't suppose I've had a malf that could be attributed to the semi rimmed case in years.

With the fairly recent "perfection" of 9mm 1911 mags, and their vastly improved reliability, it makes more sense for me to shoot 9mm.
Component cost, at least cases, is much cheaper. I shoot a lot of rds. and end up losing fully half my brass at the range.
Ramped 9mm barrels allow nearly as hot upper end loads with 9mm, although I seldom shoot these.

My love for the Super?; the cartridge is of the original 1911 design length, as a .45 ACP, it CAN be loaded to low end .357 velocities, it is a handloaders delight and the Pistols in that chambering are a bit exotic, particularly to shooters that aren't really "Gun guys"- yet.

My sole Super is a slide actually- a birth year Super slide that Jim Milks laboriously fit to an old(er) "70 Series" 9mm frame, actually now a "switch caliber" 9mm/Super.

·
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not just to jump in on this thread but what mags is everyone who has the DW Guardian running.
In 38 super ? I prefer the 10 round WC's but I see that Ed brown has 9 round flush fits in stock, that'll work great. I like Ed Brown magazines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts